OCRA-0010 - Radical Dreamers: Thieves of Fate

MechaFone

lol at zircon. for some reason, when i tried to make a thread here (when there wasn't one) i wasn't allowed to. go figure.

i appreciate all the good comments and critiques coming at us. i'll answer a few questions.

1. assuming i can get files from everyone, i'd love to do a lossless version. not being an audiophile myself, i didn't really think of that. my track (starbright) is on my stolen computer, so the only reason you'd get lossless of that is if i got it back - other than that, i was going to contact everyone soon and get some files from them if at all possible.

2. dude, that's a saxophone. vibrato usually means no clarinet. and besides my solo track, everything's done on my alto for the project. lastly, yes, i did sing Thieves of Fate. doug did the arrangement, taucer did the acoustics and the electric for the first half, level 99 did the electric on the chorus and all the heavier distro stuff, and i did the vocals and the sequencing and mastering.

3. yeah, track 6 is missing from the rar. that's because i'm an idiot and missed it. i'm trying to get in contact with everyone now.

4. ellywu2, primarily a vgmix guy, is a dude. he used voices from a sample pack, i'm assuming, because they aren't live in the he-recorded-them sense. also, since i had every one of his vgmix mixes, i know he had more than 15 or 20 tracks on that site. he ain't new, but he is damned good, isn't he? one of my personal favorite mixers. SO glad he was able to finish his track.

5. shadow, if you pm me to remind me in like three or four days, i'll get you a version of ToF without the vocals in it. also, starbright was a live saxophone octet, recorded by me (SSAATTBB)

6. eternal, the way you can tell it's not a soprano is because the break isn't the same as the clarinet. soprano sax and clarinet have their breaks pretty close to one another (concert concert B-C for clarinet and soprano, while alto is E-F concert).

if anyone has any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. i really appreciate all the extra work everyone on the project did (and guys like djp and liontamer on the ocr side of things) to get everything ready to go.

thanks for all the comments!

Way to remix your old remixes, Tweek.

EDIT: Realized that sounded snarky. I actually thought it was interesting what you did... the parts you kept never had any actual bearing on the Team Rocket melody so it seemed okay to use them as background for a similar style of track. Was it because you were in a time crunch for your mix or because you thought the stuff you did before was applicable here?

I'm part way through listening to the project now for the first time, and so far, it's pretty impressive.

(and now, the reason I made this post:)

I'm listening to track 4 (Starbright), and there seem to be several obviously unintentional clicks in the song. At first, I thought it might have been just a botched torrent download, but they're also there in the MP3s mirrored on the site.

The clicks become most noticeable around 1:44, 2:10, and 2:38. It almost sounds as if it was ripped from a damaged CD or something.

Normally, I'd ask if a fixed version could be posted (I'm very nit-picky about this kinda thing), but given the circumstances, it's probably not going to be available.

Instead, I've taken the liberty of attempting to 'repair' the track. I've done my best to preserve the unaffected parts; all of the de-clicking was applied manually and very selectively. I've also encoded the MP3 at a higher bitrate in an attempt to reduce transcoding losses.

http://jmr.sitesled.com/04%20-%20the%20prophet%20of%20mephisto%20-%20starbright%20(Under%20the%20Moonlight)%20(repaired).mp3

Way to remix your old remixes, Tweek.

EDIT: Realized that sounded snarky. I actually thought it was interesting what you did... the parts you kept never had any actual bearing on the Team Rocket melody so it seemed okay to use them as background for a similar style of track. Was it because you were in a time crunch for your mix or because you thought the stuff you did before was applicable here?

To be honest, I really am not sure what you mean.

What I can tell you is that the majority of my mixes on the site and for projects are being posted out of order of when I first did them. In this case "Confronto Finale" came WAY before "TEEM.ROKIT" so if there's any carryover, it would have been the reverse :-). In fact, "Confronto Finale" was the first song I did after "Final Panic." Damn, that makes me feel kinda old....

To be honest, I really am not sure what you mean.

I'm fairly certain what he means is that you've used many of the same synths from Confronto Finale in TEEM.ROKIT and REAKTR.1. I could tell Confronto Finale was one of your mixes within the first few seconds of hearing it, but the most telling sign was that gated synth that shows up around :50. It's one of the ones that really stands out in TEEM.ROKIT and REAKTR.1, too.

I joked about a ToF Tshirt in my previous post but I might get serious about it.

Would it be possible to obtain a high-res ToF logo with transparent BG or black BG so I can give it to a Tshirt printer guy ?

I wish I could set up the whole thing for everyone instead of just me (some websites do "group offers") but I'm not the coordinator of ToF and I live in France (far away from most of you) so I'm not the ideal person for this task.

I'm really loving this album--I can't stop listening to it! Both VotL and now ToF--this has been a great year (er, well, a great last-couple-of-months) for projects here. Though, since the main Distant Promise theme is one of my favorites, I was already looking forward to it.

Just some quick comments on a couple of the tracks here... I'm not all that great at reviewing, so these will be brief:

Days of Summer V2: really great opening track--love the strings

Thieves of Fate: incredible--as good as the first track plus singing. I'll probably be humming this to myself for the next week or so at least.

Scar Sealing Girl: thought it started out a bit slow, but around 1:50 it picks up and gets really, really good.

Requiem for Another World: another great track, and I really like DragonAvenger's voice here

One more thing... This might have already been mentioned, but at least one of the mirrors for the .rar of the full album (mirror 4, I think) is missing Track 6 (Sexy Boy). It's not a huge deal since you can just get the individual tracks, but it's something you might want to take care of. KF

Requiem for Another World:

What instrument is opening here? It sounds vaguely like a panpipe, but I don’t think it is. There’s a very nice ethnic music quality to this, there’s a lot of instruments I’ve heard before but I can’t identify them. I actually like your voice work here, it fits well. You have my permission to keep it. :P

Thanks dude! :) The intro is a dizi bass flute. It's used throughout the main part of the mix to play some harmony too. It's from a free VST I got form Kong Audio. They got some of the best free shite on their site EVAR! There were two different Kalimba samples used. There was also a shamisen too. The guitar sound is a physical modeled synth.

Thanks for your comments so far everyone!

I really gotta thank DA for working really hard on this song as it went through many changes over the time we worked on it!

Retlaf who contributes to Tha Sauce also contributed to this song. The main part is based off of his arrangement from Chrono Cross on Tha Sauce.

http://remix.thasauce.net/mixer/40/

Oh yeah to Ross Kmet and Fishy...I hate to admit it. But the arrangement of Facing is awesome! Really enjoyed and audio trickery Ross! Damn it was worth the wait...hehe. :razz:

I'm part way through listening to the project now for the first time, and so far, it's pretty impressive.

(and now, the reason I made this post:)

I'm listening to track 4 (Starbright), and there seem to be several obviously unintentional clicks in the song. At first, I thought it might have been just a botched torrent download, but they're also there in the MP3s mirrored on the site.

The clicks become most noticeable around 1:44, 2:10, and 2:38. It almost sounds as if it was ripped from a damaged CD or something.

Normally, I'd ask if a fixed version could be posted (I'm very nit-picky about this kinda thing), but given the circumstances, it's probably not going to be available.

Instead, I've taken the liberty of attempting to 'repair' the track. I've done my best to preserve the unaffected parts; all of the de-clicking was applied manually and very selectively. I've also encoded the MP3 at a higher bitrate in an attempt to reduce transcoding losses.

http://jmr.sitesled.com/04%20-%20the%20prophet%20of%20mephisto%20-%20starbright%20(Under%20the%20Moonlight)%20(repaired).mp3

the clicks you hear aren't artifacts, they're the natural sounds of pads closing. you're hearing the g# key of my soprano sticking, actually.

the clicks you hear aren't artifacts, they're the natural sounds of pads closing. you're hearing the g# key of my soprano sticking, actually.
I'm not quite convinced. Even though I'm admittedly not that familiar with saxophones, I'm pretty sure that what I'm hearing isn't a closing or sticking pad (well, I'm hearing those too, but that's not what I'm talking about :-P) The clicks I am talking about have a very distinct sound. Even when looking at the file in an audio editor, the two sounds have a very different appearance.

specdq3.jpg

On the left is one of the louder of the pad closing clicks (from approximately 0:21). Notice how it's longer and unevenly spread among the frequencies. Compare that to the image of what I believe to be an unintentional click (0:41, right channel only), which is compact and evenly spread out among the frequencies. It seems unlikely that this sound is caused by a closing or sticking pad. Actually, it more closely resembles the kind of click you might hear on a vinyl record:

herbalperttijuanataxicllt9.png

(the scale is different in this image, so it appears narrower.)

It's those clicks which I attempted to clean up, not the natural pad-closing clicks.

Also, please know that I'm not trying to start an argument or anything like that. I like horn arrangements in general, and I sincerely love the song (and the rest of the project, for that matter!) I'm just, like I stated before, very nit-picky when it comes to this sort of thing.

Too picky, perhaps.

It's a really nice frequency analyzer. You get it in programs like Adobe Audition. Also, your mix is going to have a baby, and it's a boy. Congratulations!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway DRUMULTIMA IS HERE TO DELIVER:

The mansion, it looms ahead of us

Not a hint of light inside

She's standing right in front of me,

Her braid swinging side to side

The thing I fear the most is that

the devil will set my faithful soul ablaze

These corridors stretch forever

into never ending darkness

I listen very carefully

but the silence is deafening*

A whisper could be heard for miles

and a spark would light the room like fireworks

I feel the apprehension of my comrades by my side

Better hold on real tight cuz it'll be a wild ride,

Chorus:

Oh you know I've

Been gone for a while

Lookin for that

Cold rock made of fire

And I don't think that I will come home soon

But when I do, will you still be waiting

Oh baby please

Don't leave the lights on for me

Get yourself a

Good rest, I'll be fine, you'll see

I won't be back till my journey's through

But I can't wait to come home to see you

From the atrium to the ballroom

To the lady in the clock tower,

We get more lost as we find our way

With each unfolding hour

There's not limit to the mystery

contained within this history unfolding

We freeze upon the sounds of footsteps

sneaking menacingly

A skeleton appears now

his skull grinning devilishly

I reach to grab my knife as I prepare for this battle's fatality

With the demon slain, she looks at me

with those deep blue eyes

But I gotta resist temptation

And keep my eyes on the prize

<CHORUS>

Oh the Frozen Flame

Lies just in sight

But these flames burn

In me day and night

<CHORUS A BUNCH MORE>

*This line was SUPPOSED to be "But the silence is relentless"

Simply put, the quality on this album is the best of all the projects on OCR. It may not have the huge names, the glitz and glamor, or the epic proportions of some of the other projects, but it more than makes up for it in consistency. This is a beautiful compilation of tracks. More remix projects should be like this one. Small, tasteful, thoughtful, delightful. Great job, dudes.

Simply put, the quality on this album is the best of all the projects on OCR. It may not have the huge names, the glitz and glamor, or the epic proportions of some of the other projects, but it more than makes up for it in consistency. This is a beautiful compilation of tracks. More remix projects should be like this one. Small, tasteful, thoughtful, delightful. Great job, dudes.

i really appreciate this comment. and i'm sure all the other mixers on the project feel the same. =D