What is this song?

Chaos in a Can

I've had a melody from a song stuck in my head which I'm fairly sure is from a video game, most likely an OCRemix, but I can't figure out what it's from and it's driving me insane.

I've gone through my entire OCRemix collection with no luck.

I put what I can remember into a midi file. I believe the main instrument is either a piano or strings.

Can anyone help me figure out what this is from?

Well, I listened to it... and started flipping through my 711 remixes. Surprisingly enough, I found a good match in the A section: And He Returned Home from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Is that what you're looking for? It sounds a bit different, namely your MIDI is in minor and the opening of this mix is in major, but since you were going out of your head approximate is good enough. If this isn't it, there's 710 more where that came from. Do you remember if the bit was from the very beginning of the mix?

I'm pretty sure the song, or at least that portion of it is in minor.

From what I remember, the song was fairly mellow; possibly a piano solo or orchestral piece. What I have in my head is either a piano or bells, like a music box, but it sounds just as familiar as strings.

I don't know whether that bit is at the beginning of the mix, but I believe it is at the beginning of the source song.

When I think of the song, multiple games come to mind, all of which are RPG's. Suprisingly, none of which have "final" in its name.

I could be totally wrong, but I think it's from either one of the three bazillion chrono remixes, a mana game, a star ocean game, or a phantasy star game.

I found it.

It's Ice Crystal from Star Ocean 3.