New system build

Schwaltzvald

I'm considering going for AMD this time around and would like recommendations on the CPU and Mobo along with memory sticks. I'm more familiar with Intel than AMD so the help would be appreciated... :)!!

The type of system I'm aiming for would be either a high-end/mid-range gaming system. Also would it matter what vid card I put in it considering more often than not I've seen ATI gfx cards often paired up with AMD systems...

I'm considering going for AMD this time around and would like recommendations on the CPU and Mobo along with memory sticks. I'm more familiar with Intel than AMD so the help would be appreciated... :)!!

The type of system I'm aiming for would be either a high-end/mid-range gaming system. Also would it matter what vid card I put in it considering more often than not I've seen ATI gfx cards often paired up with AMD systems...

ATI and AMD are together now, more or less. It shouldn't be that difficult to find a pairing between them. With my latest build, I went with Intel and was pretty locked into buying Nvidia just because I really couldn't find a better value ATI card.

I would probably go with Intel C2D (or even Quad if you can afford it) for any build nowadays and probably grab a Nvidia 8800GT. As for RAM, pick up Corsair or OCZ. The cost between them might make your choice for you. Also know that there is Corsair Valuselect(?) RAM which is good quality but with slightly different timing than their non-Valuselect RAM. It's very well priced. Mobo-wise, Gigabyte and ASUS are pretty solid. MSI usually has a bunch of features on their mobos, but from model to model, they're not too consistent. But I think they're getting better.

Usually after you settle on a processor and a graphics card, a lot of the other components more or less fall into place. There's not much else to do except for personal research on products, consumer reviews and guru reviews. If you want my advice, then you could always post back in here and inquire about certain brands and models. I can't guarantee you anything though, I'm a noob.

One of the major reasons I've stuck with Intel since I've started building systems due experience as well as for their mobos being best known for stability. I never was big on overclocking anything...

I may as well stick with Intel and probably go for the quadcore.

thanks for the replies~! :)!!

Depends on the game. I'll echo support for the 8800GT - they're a solid mid-to-high end card. If you intend for your system to be a games/multimedia rig, I'll also recommend the quad - I run a QX6700, and the system itself usually is running a media player, several instances of firefox, any number of documents and a game simultaneously. Thanks to the quad, I don't suffer crashes from deadlock.

Keep in mind the QX6700 was the first available quad - there are at least two others on the market now, one higher spec, one entry spec.