StarTropics

Steben

A couple years back, I discovered that the battery in my StarTropics cart had finally given up the ghost. So, imagine my joy yesterday when I checked the Wii thread and discovered its imminent VC release.

Anyway, I'm currently at Chapter 5 right now... well, whichever one has the pirate ship. I'm hoping to run through the rest today or at least by tomorrow. I remember it used to be ridiculously difficult for me, and I'd wager it's more frustrating than the first Legend of Zelda, which is the closest comparison one could make, I think. But I don't think it'd be too much trouble for me now.

Also, did anyone else notice that your "yo-yo" is called a "star" when given to you by the Island Chief? I wonder what translation they used to make this VC game...

yeah i noticed that. i pretty much exclaimed "what the fuck?"

definitely not more frustrating than the first legend of zelda. in fact, having played the first legend of zelda before ST, you would have thought i would have understood to

walk into the gravestone in chapter 3

alot quicker than it actually took me.

This game was freaking phenomenal. I was very :D to hear it was available. Also, 747.

I felt so dumb playing through the game this time, because I don't think I ever really appreciated the 1492, 1776, and 747 codes that the game references before now. Not that I didn't know the significance of any of those numbers, I just... didn't think about it?

I didn't know that there was so much love for this game until yesterday. It's certainly deserving of it. Not only is it fun and original (relatively speaking), it gives me a nice island adventure vibe. I'm not downloading on VC though, Nintendo already got my money for it back in the day and I'm not letting them screw me on this one.

apparently:

For the Virtual Console release, the letter is included in digital form with an image of a letter and a bucket of water at the bottom. When the player clicks on one of the images, the letter dips into the bucket and the code is revealed.

also, what significance do those numbers provide? aside from being important years, with the exception of 747.

Man, this was easily my favourite game on the NES. Oddly enough, it took my sister (who was then 7) for me (who was then 6) to actually get ahead. She figured out how to reach the first boss, but I was the one who killed him and went on with the rest of the game.

Hopefully they'll release Zoda's Revenge soon, too.

I love this game... don't have a Wii, though. It might be cool, though to play it on a later console, though. I'll have to check it out, somehow.

1492 is when Columbus started his voyage... it's also the code that activates the Sub-C so YOU can start YOUR voyage... maybe that's the connection?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1492

I don't know the entire significance 1776, except that's the year America gained its independence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1776

I have never heard or played this game before. Seems that it's a classic worth downloading. Zelda-esque, eh? Interesting.

Read up on the whole letter trick. Was fairly innovative to solve an in-game puzzle using a real object packed in with the game. Glad they preserved that in virtual form at least.

I'm still waiting for Earthbound. Never played that gem.

I'm giving it my first playthrough. I already got stuck at the boss on chapter 2, and now I'm stuck in the town on chapter 3. But I didn't despair because I realized that anything is possible through the southern cross.

Either I'm not as good at videogames as I thought, or I'm just way too far removed from 1990 video-game strategy and thinking.

It is a really fun game though, and I regret missing it during the NES era.

Man, this was easily my favourite game on the NES. Oddly enough, it took my sister (who was then 7) for me (who was then 6) to actually get ahead. She figured out how to reach the first boss, but I was the one who killed him and went on with the rest of the game.

Hopefully they'll release Zoda's Revenge soon, too.

same here. my older sister and I played it a lot when we were little. She figured out the tough stuff and got to the last level and I was eventually the one who beat it. we lol'd at the ending graphics

awesome music, too - both 1 and 2

I remember when my friend gave Startropics to me for my B-day. The funny part was when he opened the box and took the secret code before he gave the game to me so he could continue past the whale.

I also loved how you had to wet the paper that came with the game in order to reveal the code to give Sub-C.

This is simply one of my favorite games of all time!

I played this game a long time ago for the NES, but I don't think I ever got past the second level. I did, however, remember it being fun and finally got the chance to play it again later on my computer. Truly one of my favorite games for the system, though I can't say the same for the sequel. It was a lot shorter and not as fun for me. Anyone ever find the secret room that led to another secret room, and then lead to a death trap room? I fall for that one every time.

I played this game a long time ago for the NES, but I don't think I ever got past the second level. I did, however, remember it being fun and finally got the chance to play it again later on my computer. Truly one of my favorite games for the system, though I can't say the same for the sequel. It was a lot shorter and not as fun for me. Anyone ever find the secret room that led to another secret room, and then lead to a death trap room? I fall for that one every time.

I actually missed that one on this playthrough. :-/ (*looks it up*) Ah, and it's because it was in the first chapter, and I didn't even bother getting the potion in that dungeon.

Anyone else familiar with the 22-heart glitch in Chapter 6? In the second half of Chapter 6, there's a Big Heart hidden in the catacombs. If you collect it, then enter and exit the dungeon, the Big Heart will reappear. You can keep collecting Big Hearts until your life meter is maxed out at 22. However, you always start Chapter 7 with 16 heart containers. So it may not be worth all the time it takes you walk to and from the dungeon ten times to max out your health.

I don't remember if I figured out that trick myself, but since it was the pre-internet days when I first played StarTropics, and I didn't subscribe to Nintendo Power until much later, I guess I did.

Anyone else familiar with the 22-heart glitch in Chapter 6? In the second half of Chapter 6, there's a Big Heart hidden in the catacombs. If you collect it, then enter and exit the dungeon, the Big Heart will reappear. You can keep collecting Big Hearts until your life meter is maxed out at 22. However, you always start Chapter 7 with 16 heart containers. So it may not be worth all the time it takes you walk to and from the dungeon ten times to max out your health.

Helllll yeah! I didn't mind the walk, I seem to have this soft spot for listening to chiptune music or something crazy like that, so I didn't mind.

Helllll yeah! I didn't mind the walk, I seem to have this soft spot for listening to chiptune music or something crazy like that, so I didn't mind.

Heh, I usually max it out too. Unfortunately, my roommates don't share our love for NES music, so for their sake, I moved on to the dungeon. They didn't enjoy the music anymore, but at least it was more interesting than watching me walk back and forth for 15 minutes. :)

I'd download StarTropics a lot quicker if I hadn't have beaten it 100 times as a kid =P One of my favourite games back then, along with Megaman 3 and Mario Bros 3 (and, er, Zelda 3 and Metroid 3).

If they revive the series, they should send letters to people who bought the game, and you'd dip the letters in water to get news about the a new StarTropics game. Even better if these letters are disguised as junk mail: "Congratulations! You won an all-inclusive trip to C-Island!" Ahh, I'm a viral marketing genius.

• 3 weeks later...