Classic NES games

Kanthos

Solar Jetman

THIS, THIS, VERY MUCH THIS!!!11

Oh god the memories, the nightmares I had from this game! Doing your best to tow that fuel cell to your mothership, while your own fuel is running low, you're getting shot at from all sides, and even gravity is pulling you down to your demise, is one of the most nerve-wrecking experiences you can have on your NES.

[/Nostalgia-Bias]

Solar Jetman! Thank you! I've been trying to find that game again for so long, I played it when I was a kid and couldn't remember its name.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/2614/103378832300nd5.jpg

I always thought the box-art was extremely cool. Turns out it had a bit of a Megaman-vibe going on with all the surreal imagery. Not so awesome anymore :D

In retrospect it was actually pretty amazing! You could do all kinds of fancy stuff like upgrading your craft, buying new ships, lots of different weapons, and it had great (albeit very hard) gameplay. I should emulate it some time :D

1033788323-00.jpg

I always thought the box-art was extremely cool. Turns out it had a bit of a Megaman-vibe going on with all the surreal imagery. Not so awesome anymore :D

In retrospect it was actually pretty amazing! You could do all kinds of fancy stuff like upgrading your craft, buying new ships, lots of different weapons, and it had great (albeit very hard) gameplay. I should emulate it some time :D

hosted images at mobygames = them pwning you

hosted images at mobygames = them pwning you

Oh I just searched for an image of the boxart and put it up on a mirror. I honestly could care less what site it comes from, especially whether it's a 'good' or a 'bad' gaming site, since keeping track of gaming sites is the pinnacle of nerdiness IMO.

Errr.. I could've sworn I re-hosted it at imageshack..but I guess not :o

Ninja edit there we go!

P.S. You should stop advertising for Mobygames with that quote, I mean, it's a 'bad' gaming site after all apparently..

To get the whole "NES experience", you must play a few required games:

-Super Mario Bros, to completion.

-Zelda, moderately.

-Metroid, moderately.

-Double Dragon and Double Dragon II, as frustrating as they are, are required.

-River City Ransom, at least get to the high school.

-Contra, to completion (30 lives code).

-R.C. Pro-Am, at least get to the trucks level.

-Bubble Bobble, lightly.

-Castlevania, try to beat it.

-Metal Gear, moderately.

Despite what you may think, you don't need to play Final Fantasy. The game was so far ahead of its time that it really doesn't fit in with the retro "NES" experience. Same goes for Dragon Warrior.

A few other highly-recommended titles to polish off:

-Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle.

-Stinger.

-Life Force (same 30-lives code as Contra).

-Goonies II, try to complete it.

-Super Mario Bros 2.

Try to spend a good solid 2-3 hrs on each of these games. I don't think I'm missing anything else you absolutely need.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Excitebike yet, but all my other suggestions were already mentioned.

Although, if you have a powerpad, you should totally pull that out.

Oh yeah, Excitebike was a lot of good fun back in the day...making courses etc. I'm curious how that stood the test of time.

Gamelore, I think your list discounts the value offered by Punch-Out!!, and I find the omission of Super Mario Bros 3 strange. I also think Mega Man should be represented in any "NES Experience" list.

A lot of good stuff already mentioned, but stay away from Total Recall!

Anyway, I'll try to only bring up stuff that hasn't been...

-Ice Hockey. Play it with a friend! Even if you don't like hockey, it's a blast.

-Batman Return of the Joker. Suprisingly good graphics with large characters for an NES game and a decent side scrawler.

-Battletoads and Double Dragon. If you want a Battletoads game you can actually beat!

-Battle of Olympus. Kind of similar to Zelda II. Might be a bit difficult by today's standards. Neat music too.

-Bionic Commando. 'Nuff said.

-Crystallis. It's already been mentioned, but it's worth repeating again.

-G.I. Joe 1 + 2. Ain't half bad. Had more fun with 1 though.

-Ikari Warriors 1 + 2. A,B,B,A!

-Jackal. Kind of like Commando except with Jeeps and supports two players.

-Maniac Mansion. Awesome game from LucasArts. The archaic controls by today's standards might be a bit taxing though.

-Skate or Die 2. Worth it for the opening movie alone.

-Super C. Don't remember if anyone mentioned this yet, but it's Contra 2. 30 Lives code DOESN'T WORK for this.

-Spy Hunter. But only if you remember it.

-Strider. Doesn't know how well this holds up, though. Maybe not too well, but I used to love it.

Agreeing that that the music in Silver Surfer is pretty interesting as well. The game, not really.

• 1 month later...

Worth a first mention:

- Gradius (how'd you guys miss THE space shooter! yea Lifeforce is pretty insane tho..)

- Super Dodge Ball (dodge ball with super moves. incredible.)

- Faxanadu (Rpgish side scrolling. weapons armor magic. delicious.)

- Excitebike (very early game that had build-your-own levels! get a friend ;D )

- Legacy of the Wizard (find a walkthru and beat this game. you will feel gratification beyond your dreams)

- Puzznic (awesome puzzle game)

- Lolo 1,2,3 (if you like puzzles)

- Solomon's Key (like action-puzzling. ...fireball!! SKEE-ERT!)

- Jaws (yea, the movie. fun fun fun!)

- Gauntlet (yea they've made much better gauntlets than this, but you can't call yourself an NES afficionado if you haven't played the original)

- Strider (that sword slash is infectious.. especially after you learn to wall jump)

- Bomberman (remote bombs anyone?)

- Cobra Triangle (Boat game. Hard. You probably wont like it unless you become good at it)

- Iron Tank (very hard tank game. run over infantry to gain health?...who knows why :1

- Fester's Quest (anyone remember this one? ;]

- Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight (eerie, eerie game. no, its not a 2 player fighting game)

- TMNT anyone? it's f**kin pizza time.

Worth a second and third mention:

- Blaster Master (possibly the best game for the NES. you're missing out on one hell of a fun game if you don't at least make it to level 7.. wall walking!)

- Guardian Legend (damn close second place)

- Bionic Commando (completely original gameplay)

- River City Ransom (play it. play it now. stop reading and go play.)

- Metal Storm (mechs. yea.)

- Zanac (Space shooting done right)

- Castlevania 2, sorry 1 & 3, you don't do it for me

Pooyan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, seriously don't ever play that game.

that should keep you busy for a while. ok i'm done now :)!!