Software samplers

I have a peculiar problem... I need a simple software sampler, intended for live use. In search of suitable software, I've tried all sorts of huge programs like Kontakt and Reason, and a bunch of less popular, but equally huge programs.

Incredibly enough, none of these programs fit my needs... all I need is a simple program, which can be triggered by midi, and allows me to activate and stop loops from playing. No effects, no sampling instruments, no huge sample libraries, sequencers, softsynths, just the exact functionality of a normal hardware sampler.

Does anyone have any ideas? Becuase I'd really like to avoid buying a Roland SP-404 or similar, if I can avoid it...

I've tried it, some time ago... it's really more of a recording suite than a sampler. And it doesn't have any simple triggering functionality...

What I'm looking for is basically just a program that will start a sample when I press this or that midi control, keep looping it, and stop it again when I press a midi control. Preferably synched to a tempo, so I don't have to be 100% precise in triggering the samples.

I'm not sure if you know what Live actually does.

It performs in exactly the way you are talking about. Triggering loops and having them continue until you trigger another one to go in it's place. That's one of the main functions that makes it stand out among other DAW's: it's designed also for the live performer.

You may not have looked at Ableton Live close enough :-(. I use it for that exact same purpose when I DJ.

EDIT: Here are some videos from the Ableton website that shows you how Live handles loops.

http://www.ableton.com/_common/downloads/movies/improvising_with_loops.mov

http://www.ableton.com/_common/downloads/movies/live_6_defy_the_timeline.mov

Ah, you're right... I guess the first time I used Live I only looked at it as a DAW, where it didn't do what I needed it to. But for live performance it might be good.

It has both sampling and tempo-sync functionality, and even the ability to record on the fly / add effects. I think with a bit of practice it could actually be even cooler than a sampler!

Sorry for doubting you OverCoat!

Ah, you're right... I guess the first time I used Live I only looked at it as a DAW, where it didn't do what I needed it to. But for live performance it might be good.

It has both sampling and tempo-sync functionality, and even the ability to record on the fly / add effects. I think with a bit of practice it could actually be even cooler than a sampler!

Sorry for doubting you OverCoat!

Never, ever, doubt OverCoat.

D: