OCR00897 - Ogre Battle "Zenobia's Grave: A Champion Has Risen"

djpretzel

This was the mix that first made me really notice OCRemix as a source of great music. This track, although a bit less aggressive than either of the contributors' other works, is still a solid march theme and really instills a strong sense of battle atmosphere.

Nice work, Israfel and k-wix. Thank you for getting me into OCR!

• 8 months later...

being that I crave OB series remixes, I felt that it was a must to say how much this remix embodies what I am looking for. I have the arranged album Ogre - Grand Repeat and this song would easily rank among those arrangements. Beautiful job and excellent rendition, a must hear.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This piece is literally one of the most amazing remixes I have ever heard. I think i've listened to this song too many times and it has lost some of its greatness over time, but I can still come back to it at any point in time and relive the wonderful arrangement that the both of you have put together. I think that there aren't anymore Ogre Battle remixes on this site for a reason...it's impossible to live up to the expectations that this remix has set the bar for. :)

• 4 months later...

Pretty exciting marcato string writing throughout, and the choir, while obviously synthetic, is pretty effective as well. Samples are actually holding up pretty well; this sounds like a nicely produced PS2 title.

Arrangement is cool, and the modulation was placed just perfectly; the track needed something to keep things exciting, and it got it. :-)

Pretty epic stuff, I dig it.

• 1 year later...

One of a handful of mixes that got me to not just listen to mixes of music that I knew and actually explore new and unchartered waters. All these years later and I still haven't played or heard anything from Ogre Battle, but I nevertheless love this mix.

The samples are nowhere near the level of quality I remember, but it would be crazy to expect anything different. Regardless, they still sound decent enough, with the strings and choir faring a little better than the brass. Overall, the sound package is pleasant to listen to.

The one thing that surprised me was how safe the arrangement was; something I'd never picked up on before. It does veer into a routine later in the mix and whereas the bridge is quite excellent, it didn't satisfy my want for this to be a little more expansive.

So it's not as groundshaking and adrenalised as I seem to remember, but much has changed with myself and the mixing scene since then, so I'm okay with the contrast. This is still a very fine orchestral mix and will always have a positive place in my musical memory. It will also be a constant reminder to getting around to playing Ogre Battle one of these years!

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00897 - Ogre Battle "Zenobia's Grave: A Champion Has Risen"