OCR01671 - Final Fantasy VII "Suco de Melancia"

djpretzel

Caio always makes enjoyable music. This is no exception.

Great production, great vibe and clever arrangement makes this a keeper. It keeps true to the original but in a way that enhances the feel of the orignal track, Costa del Sol. The electric piano soloing is amazing and the overall performance is very good.

Sure, this track doesn't really go places no track has gone before but it's a groovy, clean track that's great for relaxing. Sweet.

Cute opening, and fantastic clarity on the vibe production. Arrangement-wise, it's everything you'd expect from something of the genre. Understated drums with some bongos, upright bass, vibes, and rhodes, but subtle synth flourishes and some delicate string beds keep things sonically unique.

The rhodes solo was really nice, and the clarinet meldoy before it helped keep things fresh. This is definitely a location track; as in, you'd really want this playing at a nice resort while you were sipping your own umbrella drinks, but it works outside of that context as well due to the care taken to each song element. Super relaxing, and funky in a playful way.

Sure, this track doesn't really go places no track has gone before but it's a groovy, clean track that's great for relaxing. Sweet.

Hojo is not going anywhere either, man. I mean, would you? =D

I was quite happy with this song, it's probably the most personal ReMix I have ever done. Even tough I have a fair share of songs on OCR, this one marks my first 4Yes post, which (hopefully) means that I am starting to gain some consistency as an arrenger (something that was lacking in works like my beloved "Brinstar Bonsai Garden"). However, this IS quite old (I have a Remix waiting to be posted that is actually OLDER), so it might be time to put something fresh on air.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

This is one of the remixes I always go back to when I have Voices of the Lifestream on my MP3 player, The relaxed nature of it goes well with the setting of the original Final Fantasy 7's Costa Del Sol - as well as the real one! - lying back on the beach, lounging and instantly losing any stress you have the moment your first footprint is laid on the sand. It's very well done, and the instruments used really make the piece stand out in its setting.

losing any stress you have the moment your first footprint is laid on the sand.

Funny thing, that’s exactly the image I had when I wrote this. And incidentally, the name “Suco de Melancia” (Watermelon Juice) is not inspired by the juice at all, but by the color of my girlfriend’s hair (which was red, but not actually RED, more like Watermelon Juice Red, if that makes any sense) at the time. Whole song is inspired by our daily life.

Thanks again for the kind feedback everyone.

PS.: BGC, I also LOVE freshly squeezed Mango Juice. I try to mimic it sometimes but all I get is a strange yellow… thing.

• 2 months later...

I love me my Samba and Bossa Nova, and I've gotta say that this is a cool little mix.

I've always had this thing for the Costa del Sol theme, and I've often wondered what it would have been like and someone elaborated on it.

Nice work you have done. I ever recognized the Girl from Ipanema intertwined in there.

• 1 year later...

Chill mix, chill vibes, nice sounds all through the mix. This mix brings out the flavor the the original and expands on it. The vibes really fit the tone, though I think they cut a tad too much compared to the rest of the soundscape. Just a tiny detail though that I can easily overlook.

Love the opening, and I really think you should have gone with your first title :P. Nice work, more people should jump on reviewing this.

• 3 weeks later...

The minimalist intro threw me off a bit, but once you brought the funk, it came in spades! Very islandy, this is the kind of thing I can sit down to and feel perfectly at ease with. No glaring production flaws, a mellow-but-groovin' arrangement (especially at the solos!) I don't really have any bone to pick with this! I'll just throw it on and bask in the sunrays for a couple of minutes :-)

• 3 months later...

A spiffy, tropical hotel lobby rendition on the theme. The instrument variation and clarity keep this from losing altitude and entering elevator music territory (although the cameo of 'The Girl from Ipanema' was probably too much, seeings as it is THE elevator song).

It's the little touches that make this such a success, though. Updated samples are one thing, but the small flourishes of arrangement really sell this. The overall piece doesn't sound that dissimilar to the original in terms of direction and flavour; instead it has been built on with some real nice subtleties and deviations. Probably overshadowed by a lot of other tracks on VotL, but still a great, laid back listen.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01671 - Final Fantasy VII "Suco de Melancia"