How has OCR enhanced your life?

benprunty

Sorry if this has been done before.

For me, OCRemix has enhanced my life in many ways. DJ Pretzel got me interested in funk music with his Shinobi Consent remix, and Shnabubula enhanced my interest in jazz overall. I've made about a dozen CD's with carefully chosen and arranged OCR favorites. I now listen to several artists original stuff as well, like Star Salzman, DJ Redlight, and Shnabubula. All the music I've gotten from OCR inspires me in my own music writing every day. OCRemix has added so much texture to my musical life since I started listening to it around 2002 that I honestly can't imagine life without it. Thanks to DJ Pretzel and all the remixers. How has it enhanced everyone else's life?

I spent most of the first half of my twenties inside on Friday and Saturday nights, with no steady ladyfriend...

Oh wait, ENHANCED...

jk; I can't scapegoat this site into what was essentially the effect of going to a commuter school, and I *did* buy my first house at age 20, which was a good investment. Plus, things have evened out now, and contrary to the prediction that "once djp gets a steady gf, ocremix will go down," the opposite has happily been true.

Honestly, this site had a huge impact on my life. I'm sure some little bits here and there might have been negative, but overall there's so many positives that I'd need to write a novel... and I almost have: last year's State of the ReMix (or was it the year prior? I forget...) was essentially about how, in spite of some the sacrifices I've made, I see so much positive come out of the site that I've consciously decided to poor my heart and soul into it, and haven't regretted doing so. Word.

I found out about this site from a couple different sources--first some computer magazine interview with Binster, and then somewhat more recently zircon posted the "Voices of the Lifestream" link at KVR. Once I really downloaded a lot of choons, I must say that I've been really inspired by some of the remixes. I'm an avid gamer, but I mostly play open-source and free games. None of them really have a soundtrack to speak of. Coming to OCR and hearing these remixes of the brilliant game composers' songs has REALLY broadened my musical understanding. Plus, there's a TON of genres made on here that I wouldn't ordinarily go searching for, yet I really love.

Thanks OCR for the amazing diversity and the great inspiration!

I've consciously decided to poor my heart and soul into it, and haven't regretted doing so. Word.

HA! I'm not teh only one who kant grammarz.

Oh, and OCR has not enhanced my life in any way. I continue to be a cold, miserable, unapproachable person. If I had to pick the least slimy, detestable thing and call that the closest thing to a gem to come out of this pit of despair, it would be the nice work guy emoticon. Yes, I'm talking about him -> :nicework:

Other than that, I'm pretty well disgusted.

By making me appreciate video game music even more than I initially did.

By making me drool like a fangirl over the all the awesome artists here... that's hot.

And by adding at least a few gig of music to my already video game music heavy song collection.

I don't even know where to start. Many of the people I count among my best friends are people I wouldn't have met if not through OCR.

It has also hugely expanded my horizons as a listener, introducing me to many new styles and artists I wouldn't have otherwise listened to.

It has vastly expanded my abilities as a musician and producer; I sucked when I got here, and every ounce of improvement I've made since then has been due to 1) My ongoing quest to make better remixes and 2) constant critique from members of the community.

I have made a ton of potentially useful professional contacts.

OCR has impacted my life in such a huge way that I cannot begin to imagine what my life would be like had it never existed.

Three cheers for David Lloyd!

got me exposed to MANY other awesome genres through a common bond

Amen to that. OCR broadened my horizons musically, and also got me more interested in creating music of my own. I'd go as far to say every song I've ever written (be them good or bad) has OCR to thank, at least in part, for the inspiration.

It also taught me that there ARE, in fact, girls on the internet.

Not going to lie - OCR has been a HUGE influence on my life. I first stumbled across it in '03 and immediately dismissed it because I assumed it was a pay site or a collection of MIDIs. Not sure what drew me back, but I came back and listened to everything I could and joined the forums where I met lots of awesome people, and several things occurred as a result. First, I gained a newfound appreciation for game music itself. The second and probably most important was that I realized people like me were making music by themselves and releasing it online for free. This was a huge inspiration and it eventually led to my exposure to various DAWs. Now, four years later, I make my own original music (something which is a great passion for me and may even become a career someday) and have radically changed my own musical tastes. Plus after jumping from unmod to .org to remod I've found lots of awesome people who wouldn't have otherwise come together. In short, OCR was a large turning point for me and it has given me several goals to look forward to. All I have left to do is make/submit a remix! Hopefully sometime this year.

Beyond all the obvious music-influencing and learning-new-genres and talking to the most awesome of people ever, I moved twice. My life has been greatly impacted by the OCR community.

I've moved thrice since I discovered OC Remix. God Bless you all for helping to keep my head above the water during such difficult times.

RRRRRRAGNAROK!

WAAAAHAHAHAAAA! Thank you. Just wait till you hear what I'm working on now. You'll be so disgusted!

Actually, I've got an unlikely one. OCR has helped me improve my Japanese . . . I think. Since becoming the site translator I've had to look up all kinds of crazy kanji and useless vocabulary words. It's all thanks to DJP's "content policy" nonsense. Hahaha. ^_^