How has OCR enhanced your life?

benprunty

One of my friends told me about this site. About 2006, I joined the forum, and life was just amazing. OCR has enhanced my life by giving me the music I really want to listen to, and also by letting us converse about the things we like to talk about. Also, by downloading the music, I started to play the old games again.

OCR has enhanced my life in several ways. But I think the most important one to mention is that it kept me sane.

I was introduced to the greatness that is OCR in mid-to-late 2003. I downloaded everything I could off the site (using dial-up, no less) and listened to it constantly. I had never really been a music fan until OCR came along. It was only then did I start listening to music so much. Well, come mid 2004, I suffer a huge blow and fall into depression. You know what kept me going through the first few weeks? OCR's music. I could listen to it and either escape reality completely or use it to lessen the feelings of loss I was having. It allowed me to get back on my feet far more easily than I could have without it, and I don't want to think about what could've happened had I not had that pillar of support.

I still use OCR's music (along with music from other sources now) to do the same thing when I'm feeling down. But the site became even more helpful for my well-being when I stumbled upon the n-th iteration of the LRS&Se thread in Unmod. The people in that thread (especially Mahaboo and Wacky)... I have few words I can use to describe my appreciation for their help when I asked for it. They helped me get through many difficult situations that I could not figure out and/or endure alone, and helped me to become more experienced socially (and become a better person as a result). They continue to help me today when I need it, but I need it so much less these days because of their help in the past. No amount of thanks is adequate to express my appreciation.

In other words, OCR and its community has played a big part in who I've become today, all of it for the better. :mrgreen:

Before I found OCR, back in about 2005 I think, I was a sad, lonely, pathetic shell of a man. Now I'm a sad, pathetic shell of a man, but at least I'm engaged and get sex on a regular basis. Coincidence?

Seriously though, OCR has helped me grow as a musician. I only played the drums when I first found the site and became addicted. It was thinking how cool it would be to make remixes as awesome as the ones on this site that drove me to take up piano. A couple of years later, I'm not so much interested in remixing (though I may try my hand at it someday) as I am doing original songs. OCR has helped me hone my musical ear, and get into some genres I wouldn't have tried had these remixes not been freely available and of amazing quality.

This was probably a natural progression from working in MIDI.

I was already a veteran contributor to vgmusic before stumbling into OCR, then music creation software developed at a ridiculous rate, and I discovered Computer Music magazine and got the kind of training I've been needing for years. One day at a Game Express near where I live, I heard the clerks playing music that sounded new, yet familiar. I don't remember the exact tunes, but I asked about them, and I got the answer. I thought to myself, "That site I've been peeking at? They seem to have some good shit!" Soon after, around the time I first purchased Fruity Loops, I thought, how cool would it be to have some "ReMixes" of my own played and appreciated in public like that? That's where it started, and that's when I started building a collection of my favorite OCReMixes; three hundred fifty-change and counting, along with most of the albums.

And I deal in a lot of things: drawing, graphic design and other multimedia stuff (I was an art student in high school), but music has been more important right now because OCR doesn't rest as a community. And I mean, COMMUNITY. Folks 'round the net with similar interests just don't hang with each other the way we do. I've been so busy, my social life was limited mostly to my clerical job at the hospital; not anymore, even though the job was what forced me out of MAGFest this year. Otakon or bust!

Some of you know my recent family situation. I no longer have immediate family in this city anymore, so unless and until I'm no longer single, it's my co-workers and my OCR.

I've been on this site I guess for a few years, I've seen forum members come and go (though there's been WAAAY MORE before me), but for some reason, I keep coming back for more. I've got probably almost 2 gigs of music off this site (including remix projects). It gets better every year, every mix is progressing in terms of tech (not that the former mixes aren't still good), and I'm hoping to see much more.

Speaking of remix projects, did the team making kirby's super star (milky way wishes game), ever finish?

So, nine years have passed. One more year, and unbelievably, this place will have been here TEN years!!

I've been on this site I guess for a few years, I've seen forum members come and go (though there's been WAAAY MORE before me), but for some reason, I keep coming back for more. I've got probably almost 2 gigs of music off this site (including remix projects). It gets better every year, every mix is progressing in terms of tech (not that the former mixes aren't still good), and I'm hoping to see much more.

Speaking of remix projects, did the team making kirby's super star (milky way wishes game), ever finish?

So, nine years have passed. One more year, and unbelievably, this place will have been here TEN years!!

The MWW portion is done. We are just finishing up the bonus and the website right now.

Looking forward to this greatly.

Also, I just realized your name stemmed from SMRPG, and is wicked.

As for on topicness, I never had any interest in playing or creating music until I heard Dhsu's clockwork vampire on this site. Ever since I've been spending a couple hours a week pounding on the piano I happened to have lying around. :roll: