Sweeney Todd Film

chrono26

If there is an existing thread about this then i apologize. with that said, has anyone seen the Sweeney Todd film yet? i highly recommend it. I think its one the most amazing movies i've seen in a whlie. I've never seen the stage version live but i caught some videos of the 1980s production and i have to say that burton really captured the spirit of the entire musical. the cuts that were made were didnt dumb down the story or the music and the few addtions made some scenes better than they ever could've been on stage. "A little Priest" and "By The Sea" particularly were amazing in terms of what film can add and what you cant do on stage. Depp was pretty impressive in terms of voice and acting and there was A LOT of blood. need i say more? What does everyone else think about the film?

I've seen it. The film itself was quite truly amazing. The fact that Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman and Helena Bonham-Carter can sing as well as they do also enhances it. I have the soundtrack on my iPod, and I love it. My favorites though are "My Friends" and "Epiphany".

I never saw the stage play either, and before I saw it, all I knew about it was that it was a musical. I had no idea it was rated R or anything like that, so I was a little surprised with all the blood, but nonetheless it was a great movie-musical thing. Already have the soundtrack...it was kind of weird at first though, hearing Alan Rickman and Johnny Depp's voices on there, but I got used to it. I love Johnny's voice in my friends...I had no idea he could sing like that.

That movie was amazing, and in some ways, liberating. I've had a lot of anger and feelings of vengance burning in my heart in my life. I went to see it last night with my wife, her sister and sister's boyfriend. My wife tells me that I had this frightening look in my eyes after the movie. Liberating, it was.

And hey, who knew that that Johnny and even Alan could sing like that? The overall production was superb. Burton made his best movie ever, imo, and what an experience it was.

Oh man, I saw this movie three times the week it came out. It's incredible. My favorite song is by far "My Friends". The duet is beautiful and the fact that Johnny Depp can sound like that with absolutely no voice training is awesome. I love the Sasha Cohen cameo and the "Pirelli's Miracle Elixer" song. Some of the little things that are thrown into the songs are genius. I definitely suggest it and I listen to the soundtrack way too much.

Yay, I get to be the first hater! ^_~

Okay, so here's the thing. I thought Tim Burton did an amazing job with the art direction. There are things you can do in film that are simply not possible on a stage, and he definitely capitalized on that. The cool colors were a chilling contrast to all the red, if you know what I mean.

That being said, I was very disappointed with some other aspects. I probably have pretty high standards considering I actually played Johanna in a production of the musical, but there were so many cuts that bothered me. Anthony and Johanna's parts were reduced to practically nothing, whereas in the show their presence is really integral. Toby's monologue at the end was completely removed, and I think that really took away from the main message that the story is supposed to convey in the first place; it's a cautionary tale. Burton didn't even show the cycle continuing.

Then there was the voices themselves. Helena Bonham Carter was a TERRIBLE Mrs. Lovett. She has the most thin, pathetic voice and I could hear blatant auto-tuning in half her stuff. Anthony sounded whiney, Johanna was a mouse on steroids with that awful vibrato, and Depp and Rickman were just decent. The only person I think was vocally worthy of their role in this film was Ed Sanders as Toby.

Just my two cents. :P

There's a little more to it than that. It's not just that revenge is bad, consumes you, and you die. The musical is a social commentary on the nature of the justice system for one thing, and that the movie did keep in tact. But it's also supposed to show you how easily anyone could be drawn into the vicious cycle. Without...

a) The chorus opening the show with their whole number (look up the lyrics)

B) Anthony and Johanna's innocent love to keep things at bay, and

c) Toby's ending monologue

...the message is lost.

If you liked the songs, check out Steven Sondheim's other stuff. Hes an amazing songwriter. I worked on his tribute play "Side by Side by Sondheim", as a spotlight operator 7 or 8 years ago, and I still love all those songs today. Side by Side takes a few songs from each of his plays, and includes "Pretty Women" from Sweeney Todd.

I worked on a live theatre production of this show as well. Haven't seen the movie yet, but since I don't do well with blood, I think I'll pass. Also, I was such a hardcore Jack Sparrow fan that I feel like I don't really need to see another Johnny Depp movie.

The blood is very much cartoon like in nature. One of the most basic things that I took away from watching it was how this movie actually managed to make murder hilarious.

I am not a fan of Tim Burton's art direction. I went in to Sweeney Todd indifferent, and I left...irritated. I think Burton's "signature style" has become his own stereotype, which I can define in three words: eyeshadow, stripes, anorexia. Not so much the anorexia in Sweeney Todd, but if you've seen Corpse Bride, you know what I mean. Even comparing the two, Sweeney Todd looks pretty much exactly like Victor Van Dort: gaunt, pale, black hair, black clothes. (They even have the same voice!) I felt like the wardrobe came straight from Hot Topic (shudder). Granted, Burton's character design is varied and interesting to look at (mostly), but there's only so much "dark and gloomy" I can take before I start wanting to look at a color wheel to remind myself that light is broken down into MULTIPLE colors. (So much of Sweeney Todd reminded me of bad deviantart, Ms. Lovett's silhouete, particularly.) Thank goodness Burton at least touched on the basics (red, blue, yellow) in Sweeney. But still, the theater lobby looked so lush when I left...

Aw jeez, I bet that's the point. :(

DUMB.

Edit: Oh, and the music: forgettable, except that song what's-his-girly-face sings about "Johaaaaaaaaannaaaaaaaa, I feeeeeeeeeeeel yoooooouuuuuuu..." Pretty melody, dumb lyrics (not Burton's fault, I presume, but it didn't help). The kid who played Toby stole the show with his incredible singing.

I was not a fan of the movie. Then again I do despise musicals outside of Simpsons, Futurama and South Park. I feel they serve absolutely not purpose other than to irritate.

The art direction was decent but extremely typical of Burton, whom I find overrated, and I did enjoy some of the humor. Either way I movie that I will forget about and not bother picking up ever.

The art direction was decent but extremely typical of Burton, whom I find overrated, and I did enjoy some of the humor. Either way I movie that I will forget about and not bother picking up ever.

Did you say overrated? I thought I heard overrated, because most of Burton's works never seems to get the due respect until 5 or 10 years down the line as it did with the Batman movies (everybody, EVERYBODY missed Burton after the Schumacher disasters. Actually, I still miss the Burton touch after the ho hum Batman Begins). And everybody thought Pee Wee and Scissorhands were pop culture trash until they saw more to it. 10 years later.

I do think Tim Burton puts himself in a spot with the constant gothic looks for almost all his movies, but I do think his skills as a storyteller goes unnoticed. And maybe not all his movies needs to have Johnny Depp, as fantastic as he typically is.

Pixietricks, while your comments on their voices may be accurate, I do not think that the message is lost in the film. The message may be slightly watered down by the lack of the clarifying details, but at the same time I think it is perhaps even more directly powerful in the movie. Nobody that I knew that went and saw Sweeney Todd thought that living for revenge was a good idea afterward, every one of them got the most visceral and primal meaning behind the film quite clearly.

But yeah, I didn't like Ms. Carter as Lovett... her voice just wasn't suited to the role.

I am not a fan of Tim Burton's art direction. I went in to Sweeney Todd indifferent, and I left...irritated. I think Burton's "signature style" has become his own stereotype, which I can define in three words: eyeshadow, stripes, anorexia. Not so much the anorexia in Sweeney Todd, but if you've seen Corpse Bride, you know what I mean. Even comparing the two, Sweeney Todd looks pretty much exactly like Victor Van Dort: gaunt, pale, black hair, black clothes. (They even have the same voice!) I felt like the wardrobe came straight from Hot Topic (shudder). Granted, Burton's character design is varied and interesting to look at (mostly), but there's only so much "dark and gloomy" I can take before I start wanting to look at a color wheel to remind myself that light is broken down into MULTIPLE colors. (So much of Sweeney Todd reminded me of bad deviantart, Ms. Lovett's silhouete, particularly.) Thank goodness Burton at least touched on the basics (red, blue, yellow) in Sweeney. But still, the theater lobby looked so lush when I left...

Aw jeez, I bet that's the point. :(

DUMB.

Edit: Oh, and the music: forgettable, except that song what's-his-girly-face sings about "Johaaaaaaaaannaaaaaaaa, I feeeeeeeeeeeel yoooooouuuuuuu..." Pretty melody, dumb lyrics (not Burton's fault, I presume, but it didn't help). The kid who played Toby stole the show with his incredible singing.

ok, you talked about WARDROBE, not ART DIRECTION first of all. second, it's unfair to blame Tim Burton for all the paleness and gloom that you hate so much; Sweeney Todd is a pale man, go check out the play. A lot of the feel and look comes directly from the stage production. Thats probably why Tim Burton wanted to direct, because it's similar to his visual style. third, Sweeney Todd has some of the most MEMORABLE music ever. You probaly arnt a fan of musicals and there is nothing wrong with that. However, try to use some more "in my opinion" rather than just saying the music is forgettable with "dumb" lyrics.

ok, you talked about WARDROBE, not ART DIRECTION first of all. second, it's unfair to blame Tim Burton for all the paleness and gloom that you hate so much; Sweeney Todd is a pale man, go check out the play. A lot of the feel and look comes directly from the stage production. Thats probably why Tim Burton wanted to direct, because it's similar to his visual style. third, Sweeney Todd has some of the most MEMORABLE music ever. You probaly arnt a fan of musicals and there is nothing wrong with that. However, try to use some more "in my opinion" rather than just saying the music is forgettable with "dumb" lyrics.

No, I talked about art direction. That encompasses wardrobe, contrast (the paleness and gloominess brought about by both the makeup on the characters and the compression of the range of color values from black to white. Open any image in Photoshop and hit Ctrl-L), color palette, character design--all of which I touched on. Also, I have never seen the stage production, so all I had to go on was Burton's prior work.

As far as my stance on musicals in general, I was raised around Rogers and Hammerstein's works growing up (Cinderella, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Sound of Music--which wasn't so bad, etc.), so that put anything if not a bad taste in my mouth; young boys do not often frolic in meadows singing about their feelings. The Sound of Music I say "wasn't so bad" because it had Nazis in it, who were dangerous, and danger is interesting. I have seen musicals I like. Cat's Don't Dance is one, but that may be because I love animation, and this particular musical has a very Looney-Tunes vibe to it (and Gene Kelly was a consultant for the animation choreography, which is awesome).

Also, isn't it clear that this is my opinion? I'm not a literary genius, but I try not to be obvious if I don't have to. I know what I like, and I didn't like the lyrics. By all means, disagree. :|