Sweeney Todd Film

chrono26

If you disliked the pale/goth/stripe stuff, why did you go to the movie in the first place? "I think Burton's "signature style" has become his own stereotype" This is completely true, except that it is a STYLE. Tim Burton does the films that he does because the content matches what he does stylistically. It's how the industry works. Many artists and illustrators die without ever having sunk into a signature style that brings them success. Now, we go to Tim Burton films to see precisely the things that Tim Burton brings to the film. We EXPECT those things when we see his movies.

It's like going to a Pixar film and complaining about them doing 3D animation for it.

I agree with the vocal critiques that Pixie had earlier -- especially Helena Bonham Carter. I do wish that the Anthony/Johanna relationship was fleshed out more, but that would have required casting a girl that wasn't completely forgettable, and a better tenor for Anthony.

With that said, I think that Depp and Rickman both did extremely well. In any musical production, there are ultimately two kinds of players -- actors who can sing, and singers who can act. It's obvious that both of the aforementioned are actors first and foremost...but their singing was more than adequate alongside their acting to make the characters believable.

Overall, I think it's the best musical-movie rerelease for quite a while, and it's definitely worth a single viewing. If you enjoyed the movie editions of Phantom, Rent, or Hairspray, put this one on your list.

turn that frown upside down and we shall agree to disagree :wink:

and how bout that Best Film (Musical or Comedy) win at the Golden Globes. I'm sure Burton is happy about that one.

He better be, that no-talent hack! :P (OverBoard.) I'm actually more thrilled that Ratatouille won a Golden Globe for best animated feature. Although, I'll tell you that there wasn't much competition from Meet the Robinsons and Bee Movie. I keep hearing how good Persepolis is, but I have yet to see it...

If you disliked the pale/goth/stripe stuff, why did you go to the movie in the first place? "I think Burton's "signature style" has become his own stereotype" This is completely true, except that it is a STYLE. Tim Burton does the films that he does because the content matches what he does stylistically. It's how the industry works. Many artists and illustrators die without ever having sunk into a signature style that brings them success. Now, we go to Tim Burton films to see precisely the things that Tim Burton brings to the film. We EXPECT those things when we see his movies.

It's like going to a Pixar film and complaining about them doing 3D animation for it.

I went to Sweeney Todd because we (the folks I was movie-going with) had not yet seen it. It was a complex muddle of "I've seen it already." I would've preferred No Country for Old Men again, but certain of us had already seen it twice. :\

Also, it was the viewing of the movie that made me aware of Burton's self-stereotyping. As far as why Tim Burton makes the films that he makes, what you say may or may not be true, but I doubt that that's the way the industry works. A gifted filmmaker, like a gifted musician, will be able to create something worthwhile in any genre.

As far as your Pixar comparison goes, it's not quite accurate--3D animation isn't a "style," but a medium. Instead of actors, there are 3D models, rigged with all sorts of fancy controls and deformers, and you can have those models in any style you need, and have them act in any way that you need. It's largely the same as conventional film-making. One main difference is that the "actors" (digital puppeteers, if you will) are hired full-time over multiple projects, and they all sit at desks.

Also, it was the viewing of the movie that made me aware of Burton's self-stereotyping. As far as why Tim Burton makes the films that he makes, what you say may or may not be true, but I doubt that that's the way the industry works. A gifted filmmaker, like a gifted musician, will be able to create something worthwhile in any genre.

That's true to a certain extent. Most musicians do specialize in a specific genre though. And not all of Burton's movies are in his "signature style". Ed Wodd and Big Fish among others have traces of his style but are way different in tone. Big Fish is more of a fantasy and what i think is his best film.

Yeah, it's cool to have "a genre to call home," I guess, but if you just stay home all the time, you're...this is going to sound retarded, but it means what I want to say: you're missing a whole world out there. Granted, Tim Burton hasn't consistently always done the pallid and gloomy thing, but in Sweeney Todd, there was just SO MUCH of it, and none of it felt at all inspired. A character's appearance should tell a story of the character's history, and all I saw was Hot Topic receipts. Or at least those were so obvious that I missed what might've been imaginative.

And on Big Fish, unfortunately, there are too many movies out there that I want to see that I haven't seen. Big Fish is one of them.