Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles

Sinewav

pseudo spoliers: (if you care)

(intro-dream-thingy)

I was like, WTF? This is horrible. The lady who plays Sarah C is awful, boo!

(actual first part of the stroy/ exposition)

*leaves room to go play pokemon*

(about 30 min. into the story)

Hey, that hot school chick is pretty hot and weird. I think this means something.

(5 min. later)

Hey, I bet that teacher is going to try something

(1min later)

I was totaly right, lol!

(rest of the episode)

hey, pretty cool. Great special effects and such. I wonder how long until this becomes stale?

------------------------

Pretty much my though process.

Maybe being a telelvision show will allow the screenwriters to give more depth to the characters from the movies. It looks like the will be (lots of?) time travel, so maybe that gives writers free reign to do whatever the hell they want with the timeline

Well I can't really judge it, I just have issues with watching things when I already strongly associate one of the actors present with an entirely different character.

Maybe if I get bored, and this thread shows its worth watching I'll start hijacking the rec room tv to check it out though.

Of course (was her name Summers?) works REALLY well for actiony scenes, so I'm sure her kicking the crap outof stuff is fun to watch even if the association to River is stuck there for all eternity.

Well I can't really judge it, I just have issues with watching things when I already strongly associate one of the actors present with an entirely different character.

I agree. Every time I saw the commericals, I would always think of Zach from Heroes.

The fact that I know she later dies of cancer or something at some random point and basically serves no purpose in the end greatly reduces my interest

The series apparently throws Terminator 3 out the window, so her dying of cancer has no bearing on it.

I saw the leaked pilot a couple of months back, and it seemed pretty good. I don't know if the pilot they aired was changed at all since I didn't get to see it, but there was certainly potential for something that's worth watching in the long run. Hopefully they manage to do something interesting with it and keep it up.

I actually thought it was borderline 'very good'. All the early reviews in TV-websites rated it pretty highly and my reaction is on par.

The action and the general feel isn't actually too far from the Terminator movies and it looks like the plot gels into place between the T2 and T3 movies.

As far as first episodes go, I actually liked it a bit more than Heroes, so it's a good sign. I just hope they can keep at it, but the writer and director do have a good reputation behind them so it's not an impossibility.

The fact that I know she later dies of cancer or something at some random point and basically serves no purpose in the end greatly reduces my interest

Except it wasn't random. In the movie, John says it clearly that Sarah died fighting the invasion all along. Though I don't think they explored that very deeply in the movie. Also, a lot of things in the Terminator canon aims toward inevitability anyway. It's just the journey itself that changes. Sarah still dies of terminal illness no matter what she does to influence it, John will still be the savior of mankind, Terminators will still wreak havoc, etc. The Terminator series has never been something like Back to the Future where the future changes at a whim.

Sarah still dies of terminal illness no matter what she does to influence it, John will still be the savior of mankind, Terminators will still wreak havoc, etc. The Terminator series has never been something like Back to the Future where the future changes at a whim.

That is exactly my point. Instead of doing stupid prequels and midquels that show things we pretty much already knew was going to happen OR doing silly alternate timelines why not make a new sequel that shows new things happening

But that's my point. It doesn't really seem to matter if we know the outcome or not. That's not really the selling point of the series apparently, since they are pretty adamant about there being only one outcome to it all.

Also, a Terminator sequel will shed light on how John Conner saves humanity in the future too. We know it's going to happen. We just don't know how. I don't see how this TV series is any different. Showing what happens inbetween seems plenty fresh to me.

Though actually, I wouldn't mind alternate-endings and actual spinoffs where the future actually changes either. I really wonder what the rumored, three new Terminator movies will cover with this one timeline.

I didn't watch it (no interest really), but I was curious: why is it a mid-season show? If it's the 'Year's most anticipated series' as Fox has been saying, why not release it in September; after all, it's not like they knew about the writers' strike back then. So if this comes out at this point, would that indicate that it wasn't considered good enough to air in the true beginning of the season, or was it legitimately a new production slated to begin mid-season? (I'm not trying to insult the show, especially since some of my favorite shows were mid-season pick-ups; I'm just kind of curious given their furious advertising.)

Well, they solved the problem of her dying of cancer (sort of), so it looks like the writers did their homework. I'm actually kinda liking the show so far. As far as I can tell though, it looks like they are going to totally retcon the third movie out of existence (Probably better that way, I wasn't a fan.) All I can say it's fun watching so far, and since that's all I really expected out of it...

Well, they solved the problem of her dying of cancer (sort of), so it looks like the writers did their homework. I'm actually kinda liking the show so far. As far as I can tell though, it looks like they are going to totally retcon the third movie out of existence (Probably better that way, I wasn't a fan.) All I can say it's fun watching so far, and since that's all I really expected out of it...

It's too early to even hint that a retcon is planned. For all we know, they could end up back in time or this is just an alternative timeline, not some total retcon.

Also, the story right now fits the idea of inevitability in the Terminator timeline. There is no escape to Sarah Conner's fate and for all we know, they may end up in the same timeline as T3 by the time it's all over. If anything, they might just mess around with the actual specific time the events occur. I did think T3 left too little to the imagination with Sarah's death coming so soon after T2.