ALBUM PROJECT: Contra 4

SnappleMan

UPDATES:

UPDATE! Album is almost done, just gotta get the last few songs done and we're set for release. Lineup changed again, but the tracks sound AMAZING so far. Definitely the best sounding album the entire scene has... seen.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is cross posted from VGMix and The Shizz.

Shut up. I know, OMG VIRT music LOL! Whatever, the game has awesome music and it's Contra, simple as that.

So yeah, I REALLY like this soundtrack, it's one of the best I've ever heard and I think it deserves to be ruined by an overambitious project that'll span every corner of the "remixing"/"arranging" scene. This will be open to anyone and everyone. Here are a few rules and guidelines for everyone to keep in mind:

1. All songs are to be approved by me and a few others who I will choose to "judge". If you worked on a song for 2 months and it still sucks, too bad.

2. All songs are to be arranged in a "conservative" manner. Meaning, I don't want you to take a fast, aggressive song and turn it into ambient bullshit. The music has lots of intricate details and layers to work with, you can arrange it without taking it to places it shouldn't go. Also, I have to approve your idea before you can be considered for the project, and everyone is required to send me a 1 minute demo before I can lock them in to work on the song they chose.

3. COLLABORATE! This music is really difficult to learn/play/arrange. I encourage everyone to hook up in teams and really get to know the song they're doing and each members strengths.

4. What 3 said, the most important thing here is making sure the music is KING. So yeah, you will need to have spot on performances (if doing something with live recordings), and good sounds. If you write a great arrangement but your sounds are sub-par, consider letting someone take your work and put it through their setup. I will do this for anyone who wants it, and I don't want any credit, all I want is for the music to sound its best. If you can do a really awesome straight cover and just add a solo, that's great (and most likely all I'll be doing!... trust me, learning some of these songs is a project within itself)!!

This will not be OCR, VGMix or DoD exclusive, I have no idea how we'll release yet. It's a free for all at this point.

Now, I know I'm talking like a dick, but I've had enough experience with these things to know exactly what I want from the music and from my team. This project is gonna have a "band" or "team" mentality. Everyone can give input, help out on other tracks, or whatever, as long as it sounds good. All that matters is the end result. I am recruiting people as we speak, and this is gonna be cross posted to OCR, the Shizz and anyplace else where I can get some quality musicians. This has to be done quickly because the game is as popular as it's gonna get and I wanna strike while the mac-n-cheese is hot!

So I say onto you, the words of the famous George E. Nowik: LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY!

Sounds cool, but... why not an OCR project? Is there something mutually exclusive with making it an OCR project and involving other sites?

Just noting ahead of time, not to be a dick or anything, but we're much more likely to pimp it, etc. when it's an official OCR thing, and you'll lose that, otherwise. If you've got a good answer other than "because they don't like us," I'd like to hear it... one of the developers from Contra 4 actually mentioned OCR in an interview with Nintendo Power, FYI - it'd be cool to see his quote become a reality.

But, your call, and like I said, sounds interesting.

Sounds cool, but... why not an OCR project? Is there something mutually exclusive with making it an OCR project and involving other sites?

Just noting ahead of time, not to be a dick or anything, but we're much more likely to pimp it, etc. when it's an official OCR thing, and you'll lose that, otherwise. If you've got a good answer other than "because they don't like us," I'd like to hear it... one of the developers from Contra 4 actually mentioned OCR in an interview with Nintendo Power, FYI - it'd be cool to see his quote become a reality.

But, your call, and like I said, sounds interesting.

For now I don't want to think about that stuff. If I announce it as official OCR then people might start to lose focus on the music. I want everyone from every corner of the scene to be involved.

Isn't this also being kind of mutually exclusive? Why not just promote it regardless of any affiliation?
  • Because we have finite time and resources and usually choose to focus them on stuff that is close to the site...
  • If it's an official album it gets integrated into our database, mixer profiles (eventually), torrent tracker, etc.
  • We do some limited PR stuff for album releases... it's not only awkward, but basically inappropriate, for us to be doing that on behalf of a third-party...
  • If there's no good reason it shouldn't be an OCR project, you're arguing that even if people don't want it to be (for "bad" reasons e.g. we smell), we should still treat it the same...right? That just doesn't make much sense to me...

I get your point, but it's a cause and effect thing, and the cause is important... also, wasn't saying we wouldn't pimp it at all or ignore it or whatever, just that it wouldn't be to the same degree...

Well, there's nothing really "OCR" about it. In fact, now that I think about it, it'd actually be a little ironic for a project remixing virt's music to be hosted here...

Oh, totally - agreed. The quote from the developer in Nintendo Power was ironic, as well. But... well, so what? It's ironic. There are worse things to be.

I think I agree with Snapple for now. If the point of the project is too pimp Contra 4's music, then we should do that first, but not ruling out the possibility it could be releasable here.

Yeah, I re-read his latest comment... makes sense. However, I'd worry about cross-posting across three communities, etc. and managing things... the sooner some of these types of decisions are made, the smoother things can work, imo. But first things first; sorry for the tangent!

If there's no good reason it shouldn't be an OCR project, you're arguing that even if people don't want it to be (for "bad" reasons e.g. we smell), we should still treat it the same...right? That just doesn't make much sense to me...

Mmm, no, that's not what I was getting at. It seemed the project was meant to be all inclusive community-wise, so it seemed strange that it wouldn't be promoted to its fullest by all sites involved.

Mmm, no, that's not what I was getting at. It seemed the project was meant to be all inclusive community-wise, so it seemed strange that it wouldn't be promoted to its fullest by all sites involved.

Plenty of artists that also contribute to other sites have been involved with OCR projects and those other sites didn't do much to promote those albums... I'm not sure what the expectation is on your part but it seems a little unequal and also premature, especially given Snapple's most recent comments... My point is simply that releasing an album as an OCR project shouldn't jeopardize the "all-inclusiveness" you mention, plus there's benefits, so why not?

Plenty of artists that also contribute to other sites have been involved with OCR projects and those other sites didn't do much to promote those albums...

Probably because the focus has always been here. What more could be added elsewhere other than a link to the project?

I'm not sure what the expectation is on your part but it seems a little unequal and also premature

Wait, what? Why do you keep reading too much into what little I've said? I personally don't care who it's affiliated with as long as it's good music. All I was ever curious about was why it wouldn't be promoted and you elaborated.

The most important thing for me is that the music we create gets as much exposure as possible. When the time comes I'll chose where to have the main release.

But also, it's not as if I can just announce something and have it instantly become a big OCR thing, it needs to get a stable stream of progress going before it can be considered an official OCR project. Unless the rules changed...

But for now, the important thing to me is that people seem to be really interested. I've already got a couple demos coming in, and many planned in the days ahead. And we all gotta keep this fire going because as soon as it dies down, interest dies down and these projects never get done. So crunch time starts NOW!

A very surprising announcement, indeed. Wish I can contribute in some way, but I'm not quite there in terms of the "Snapple-bar" *coughinstigatingwhisperscough* :P

Regardless, can't wait to see the progress with this. Would love it if we get previews of the tracks, demos, WIPs and stuff like that. Don't like it when projects are hush-hush in what's going on.

Also, it would be REALLY interesting if you can get Jake himself on this bandwagon, Snapple. I'm pretty sure no one can top his own work except for himself. :)