Is 2D platforming dead?

Voltrox747

...Even some games that are not viewed from the side can look much better with well drawn sprites than 3D models. Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, and many other Atlus games are good examples. Anyone else agree?

I agree completely. Sprites, in my opinion, are the best way to convey detailed characters in a "2D" scenario since the artists can focus on key elements of the character design and highlight what they think is most important to show. However, using 3D models with a fixed camera perspective to simulate 2D gameplay allows for advanced lighting and other graphical effects to be used on the character, many of which are already available and wouldn't need to be recreated. This lends some weight to the argument for 3D models from a development perspective I'd imagine.

The 3D model for Mario in New Super Mario Bros. on the DS is one such example. When he's running through a castle stage, with the lava flowing below, areas of his body glow red with the proper lighting effect, and it's actually quite nice. However, I find Sonic's model in Sonic Rush Adventure to be less impressive in 3D, and I'd like to see what a 2D sprite could have looked like. I'd even prefer the original genesis sprite over what's given, though in this case 3D was required since the gameplay actually shifts mid-play from side scrolling to 3D.

All that to say, I prefer the sprites in general, and I think games like FF Tactics make my case for me.

Yeah, great idea for the Metroid control scheme there.

Speaking of Nintendo franchises that could return to their 2D platforming roots, Zelda could be a candidate.

I played Adventure of Link a while back and it was better than I thought it would be (too damn hard though).

For the new one hey could basically just rip the controls and model for Link in Smash brothers (if it was a sequel to Twilight princess) but the B moves would be interchangeable depending on what items you've got equipped. I think it would help out the franchise a lot since its definately gettin a little stale. Just an idea.

Anything but CDI Zelda...*shiver*

Zero's a much cooler character than Megaman ever was.

Mega Man X = Mega Man X's Zero >>> Classic Mega Man > Mega Man Zero's Zero >>>>>>> Every other Mega Man and character associated with him.

I'd say something more on topic, buts its already been said, multiple times.

A new 2D Metroid would be amazing, no matter what system its for!

To everyone who says that "2D gaming is alive and well" thanks to handhelds like the DS aren't, I think, looking at the big picture.

Sure handhelds have lots of 2D games now but 10 years from now we'll have Playstation 3 (or 2?) quality 3D on a handheld.

What then? Developers/publishers already seem preoccupied with 3D games on handhelds now, let alone in 10 years...

Guilty Gear isn't a platformer, and there's much more to an engine than just the graphics. :P

I was referring to 2D games in general when I said that. Of course there is more to it. It is a 128 Bit sprite engine. There is much more to it.

I want a new New Super Mario Bros. game. The last one didn't totally satisfy me.

Patapon looks like it could be fun. But I'm not sure you consider it pure platforming. It's more like a side-scrolling strategy action game.

Yea, I want a real Super Mario Bros 4, or a Super Mario World 3 that isn't Yoshi's Story (even though I love Yoshi's Story series).

I miss fire plant Mario, and cape/racoon mario, and frog mario. I WANT THEM BACK.

I want a new New Super Mario Bros. game.

But using sprites, like someone already mentioned. In fact I don't see why thay can't continue the "Mario Land" series. The ones from the original gameboy. They were fairly different to the console games and I actually preferred them in some ways. Super Mario Land is still my favourite handheld game of all time.

To everyone who says that "2D gaming is alive and well" thanks to handhelds like the DS aren't, I think, looking at the big picture.

Sure handhelds have lots of 2D games now but 10 years from now we'll have Playstation 3 (or 2?) quality 3D on a handheld.

What then? Developers/publishers already seem preoccupied with 3D games on handhelds now, let alone in 10 years...

Actually, you're wrong there. It has nothing to do with looking at the "big picture". 2D platform gaming is alive and well right now, that's what the question was. You're just looking into the future. And while in the future, there may be less 2D platforming games, I doubt the genre will ever "die".

I have yet to play a game that plays better than Super Metroid, control wise and animation wise. Samus just looked so natural and real running around, ran and jumped with a realistic speed and responded very well to the controls. Even though aiming diagonally was a real pain in the ass, especially when jumping at the same time...

It's not dead, mostly thanks to handhelds and a few nostalgia titles. Mostly, I think that 2D platforming appears to have struck some of the limits that can be offered by pure platforming. I just can't see many of the new places the genre can go, so I'm content with some minor gameplay tweaks, rehashed concepts, and reskinned levels/enemies/bosses.

I always thought it'd be cool if they made a new 2D Metroid on the newer consoles instead of the Primes. Of course I loved the Primes just dandy, but I figured with the nextgen consoles now, they could make a super huge, and super pretty 2D world, like super eye candies. Surely they could add all kinds of super neat elements to the 2D style world, seeing as how the new consoles aren't Super Nintendos. Anyways, just a dream I have. : >