How did you get your handle?

FR

Ah, Gario, either a combination of Greg and Mario, or a combination of Garfield and Mario. Which would be good, save for those double pasta cravings... (Damnit, Archeon, and your weird PMs)

But yeah, ages ago (1990+) my oldest brother tried teasing me by claiming that I played videogames too much. I think he just wanted to play more himself, but whatever.

Anyway, over time he'd actually male fan comics including myself as the antagonist, and at one point I merged with Mario and proceeded to enact a reshaping of the real world, calling myself Gario.

After losing interest in that comic later in the 90s, he dabbled in RPGMaker 2k and 2k3,in which I was once again the primary antagonist (much less to insult me and more because it made for an interesting antagonist). I've been helping with that story from time to time, and it turns out to make some incredible fan fiction that we'd actually still like to make into a classic jRPG one day.

So seems simple, but it does have one big ass history. Fun fact: if you look at the character on the cover of 9-bit Blitzkrieg that represents me it comes directly from my brother's sprite art vision of myself.

tl;dr, my brother merged my name with Mario's out of childish spite, and it grew into something cool from there. :P

You're better off not knowing.

hmmmm...."neb" is Pittsburgh English to be nosy...or perhaps relating to one's nose...phonetically lix dose sound like "licks"....ya know...I'm gonna go ahead and stop here...no more internet for me today. Seriously though, now I'm curious, I feel like it's something really benign and this ^^^^ is just a red herring.

Edited by YoshiBlade

hmmmm...."neb" is Pittsburgh English to be nosy...or perhaps relating to one's nose...phonetically lix dose sound like "licks"....ya know...I'm gonna go ahead and stop here...no more internet for me today. Seriously though, now I'm curious, I feel like it's something really benign and this ^^^^ is just a red herring.

He just misspelled Netflix and hasn't lived it down since :<

My nickname comes from the "Psittacus erithacus" also known as African grey parrot, but in spanish this parrot can also be called "yaco" wich in plural is "yacos".

My nickname comes from that name but I change just 2 letters: Y to J and C to K = Jakos. :<

A long time ago, around the time I had beaten Final Fantasy X for the first time, I started thinking up a story for the next one and the main character of that idea I named Fenix because at one point in the story, he actually dies and is reborn as a new person with his previous self lying dormant inside him. It was the first username I went by on a message board and eventually I added "Down" to it to make it match up with the way phoenix down was translated in the SNES Final Fantasy III.

He just misspelled Netflix and hasn't lived it down since :<

is that true? because that was exactly what I guessed, haha

as for my own name, I go by "anosci" as my full name, which does break down like so:

ano (japanese for "umm")

sci (literally just "science")

I've been using sci as my name everywhere since I was like 11 or so. I liked science. I still like science.

I recently added ano as my surname, because "sci" is an incredibly un-google-able artist name.

and also I think anosa / アノサ sounds really cool.

(anosci, anosai, アノサイ.)

Where to start... Uhm...

Back in the late 90's I was making EDM under two handles, Da Source (hardcore/gabber (im sorry)) and lunari/lunarian (goa/psytrance). I lost my internet connection in 2002 and didn't come back until 2005. I started my label Reunion to "reunite" with my old scene pals but i didn't make either goa nor hardcore anymore, and thus I had changed my handle to Lynx (because my family name Loman direct translates to Lynxman from Swedish).

However, right before (a month or so) I launched my label, another artist had their debut release under the name Lynx, and i didn't want to be Lynx (2) on discogs :banghead:, so I lowered my head (sighing), and saw a CD-R case with a sheet of paper covering half of it on my desk. The brand was Platinum, but the only text visible was Plat[---] because of the paper, and my mind instantly associated this with the philosopher Plato, and thus, Platonist was born. :tomatoface:

I just didn't want to think about it anymore, because I had changed name like 5 times during my offline time. So that's that.

edit: woops, i forgot i replied to this thread like 2 years ago, but oh well, this explanation was better written than the last one, so I'm keeping this one. haha, time flies

Edited by Platonist
because I'm stupid

• 2 weeks later...

platonist is a sort of unusual music alias. just for that alone it's pretty good. even though it was picked more or less arbitrarily :P

Gario's story is super cute. perfect for this thread :)

myself, the other name i use is skoshu, and that's really just a first and last name combo that sounded cool. a 6 letter word that sounds good, and most importantly pops up hardly any results when you google it (some russian stuff at most)? perfect.

nase is effectively the opposite of it...naming yourself after a part of the human face makes you impossible to find on the web. :D

I took a website design class in high school. We were required to make an email for the class. In my inifinite 16 year old wisdom, my thought process went something like this: "Hmm...I like pasta...I really like alfredo...hmm...alfredofreak!". Probably spent about five minutes total on the name, but I lucked out with how unique it is.

That being said, I certainly wish my real name (NIcholas Day) was unique enough that I could just use it.

My friend said we needed aliases to post on an old geocities site we ran (game reviews and rpg maker resources, yay!). He chose Strizer, I chose Thalzon at his suggestion, because "Z is a cool letter." I don't use it everywhere, though. Just.... most places.

It was a super long time ago at Mount Vernon University, my sister went to that college. We went to visit because they were hosting a full performance of Messiah with a small orchestra and an opera singer. It was a really good performance apart from the trumpet player who often had trouble getting a full tone. 

And that's how I got my Handel

It was a super long time ago at Mount Vernon University, my sister went to that college. We went to visit because they were hosting a full performance of Messiah with a small orchestra and an opera singer. It was a really good performance apart from the trumpet player who often had trouble getting a full tone. 

And that's how I got my Handel

All right Bach off man! Seriously I can't Strauss this enough! Composer puns have no place on this Liszt. You're just trying to rattle my Cage and y'all need to stop Hayden on me! Ok?

All right Bach off man! Seriously I can't Strauss this enough! Composer puns have no place on this Liszt. You're just trying to rattle my Cage and y'all need to stop Hayden on me! Ok?

I Kant Handel these puns. It's like you picked stuff off the cool Liszt, because you deserve high Marx on your picks. It's Sartre-istic sense that's actually kinda neat.

mine originated on from the second place i signed up to.
the metal gear solid forums.
so of course i went with my 2 favourite bossbattles psycho mantis and sniper wolf.
before that and in most other places im known as killer2099 which originated from 2 things.
1: my utter lack of imagination when coming up with ps3 online names and thinking of what other words start with k aside from karl.
2: i was at the time collecting the spiderman 2099 comics so i knew thats where id get the numbers from.