NWN issue. DESPERATE CALL

kongsmoelf

(NWN=Neverwinter nights) Hey! My Diamond edtion just arrived. I installed the game, saw the intro movie and then I arrive at the NWN menu. BUT ITS GONE!? My cursor is visible but the menu is ALL GONE. I clicked around in the dark and found the new game. I then go back.. and the menu is VISIBLE. Anybody who knows why this is happening? Links are very welcome.

Plz help me:)!!

-kongsmoelf

I had some visual errors when I recently rebuilt my computer and reinstalled NWN. I'd just installed the lastest video drivers (first ones of 2008 ) for my ATI Radeon X800 XL, and these new drivers didn't cooperate very well. I dropped back to June '07 drivers and everything was back to normal. If you've got an older card and are using the latest drivers you may want to try stepping back a bit to see if that clears it up. Good luck, and have fun with NWN :)

Good to hear you got it sorted; I thoroughly enjoyed playing the game for the last few years and being on the development/administration team for a popular persistent world. If you plan to adventure online, I could provide you with a shameless plug to said servers :wink:

Good to hear you got it sorted; I thoroughly enjoyed playing the game for the last few years and being on the development/administration team for a popular persistent world. If you plan to adventure online, I could provide you with a shameless plug to said servers :wink:

Plug? That would be nice:-) You see, I play Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 and have done so for a long time. This game is my "must". And I am VERY exctited to try the DM client!8)

-KS

EDIT: I found the critical rebuild on the internet. Available here <ver.1.68)

Now I'm having another problem with the game. Updating. All goes well until the end of the update were some error text displays in the update status box. Now I found a solution on the problem. And that is to run the critical rebuild. But when I click the program it says: "If you are running this program because you encountered an error with Neverwinter Nights, then please do the following:

1. Uninstall Neverwinter Nights.

2. Reinstall Neverwinter Nights Diamond

3. Update your installation with the Neverwinter Nights Update utility.

Thank you for your patience. We hope you enjoy playing Neverwinter Nights."

Why? Isn't I running the program when clicking?

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, I had the black screen problem...turns out it was because I was using dual core processors:

http://nwn.bioware.com/support/known.html#50

Ironically, it works perfectly on vista, even though they claim it isn't supported. Dual Core too :)

(I know about all the "CPU affinity" and all that. I never needed to touch it tho^^)

Spec me; it might be the Os or hardware. Check the above link (if you haven't already), and it might help.

EDIT: I found the critical rebuild on the internet. Available here <ver.1.68)

Now I'm having another problem with the game. Updating. All goes well until the end of the update were some error text displays in the update status box. Now I found a solution on the problem. And that is to run the critical rebuild. But when I click the program it says: "If you are running this program because you encountered an error with Neverwinter Nights, then please do the following:

1. Uninstall Neverwinter Nights.

2. Reinstall Neverwinter Nights Diamond

3. Update your installation with the Neverwinter Nights Update utility.

Thank you for your patience. We hope you enjoy playing Neverwinter Nights."

Why? Isn't I running the program when clicking?

I'm assuming you have an international version of NWN; is there any chance that you downloaded the North American patch? Can you skip over those messages and proceed with the critical update anyway?

In the software world, "Not supported" means "We haven't tested it enough to claim responsibility or deal with problems". Without getting into details about writing multi-threaded applications, I can safely say that any multi-threaded application (i.e. most/all commercial games) that works fine on a single-core CPU will work fine on a dual-core CPU, everything else being equal. Glad to hear it worked for you though :) Incidentally, this thread inspired me to pick up the game again, not to mention a few new premium modules that I hadn't played yet.