MIDI Keyboards vs. Controllers

I'm wondering...

If I have a Yamaha MIDI keyboard, can it also be used as a MIDI controller? Is there a way on GarageBand or Logic to use keyboards that (I'm going to sound like an idiot here, because I don't know the technical term) "play out loud" as MIDI controllers? I want to use the instruments on my computer rather than on my keyboard itself, but clicking on the on-screen keyboard is tedious.

If the answer is yes, how might I go about accomplishing this? I really don't want to go to Guitar Center and spend a hundred beans on something that I could potentially already have.

I hope this hasn't been covered already; I did a quick search and found my question thus far unanswered.

Thanks for the help.

A "MIDI Keyboard" refers to any keyboard which is MIDI-capable... eg. it can send MIDI data to your computer, and receive it to trigger the onboard sounds (assuming it has them). A "MIDI Controller" typically refers to a keyboard that has no other functions except transmitting MIDI. So, yes, a MIDI keyboard can be used as a controller.

It sounds like you want to hook up your keyboard to your computer so that when you hit a key on the keyboard, it triggers a certain sound from your software. Right? If so, then you want to consult the Garageband/Logic manuals on hooking up a MIDI controller. Pretty simple. If you don't know how to even connect the thing to your computer, then you need to see what kind of MIDI output your keyboard has. Check the manual. It will be either USB or a MIDI port (big and circular.) You may need to buy a MIDI cable and a MIDI to USB converter.

The "output slot" on the back of your keyboard is probably for AUDIO. Audio is not the same as MIDI. Audio would be actual sound... MIDI is nothing more than 'instructions' telling a device, like your computer, what notes to play.

Does the MIDI port look like this?

http://proaudiomusic.com/images/midiPort154x134.gif

If so, what you need is a MIDI -> USB cable, which you would then connect to your computer. There are many of these; I would call Sweetwater (www.sweetwater.com), tell them your exact keyboard model, and ask which one is right for you.