Liontamer

* Your ReMixer name: Nekofrog

* Your real name : Justin Jones

* Your email address : jtjones@manchester.edu

* Your website : www.gamesarefun.com

* Your userid : 5151

* Remix Link:

* Name of game(s) arranged : Xenogears

* Name of individual song(s) arranged : Awakening (with one overlapping melody from Omen -- both songs share the same melody)

* Additional information about game : Composer is Yasunori Mitsuda, system is PS1,

* Link to the original soundtrack:

* Your own comments about the mix: I first played Xenogears in 1998 when it came out (still have my copy :D ) and was enthralled. As time went on I learned to recognize its obvious shortcomings, which I think led me appreciate the game differently. It's not perfect by any means -- there's a lot I'd chop out of it -- but by and large it's enjoyable. The soundtrack pretty much makes the game for me.

I've always felt that "Awakening" and "Omen" were the standout tracks, so I wanted to take "Awakening" and apply to it the "this is my world, and I'm ready to take it back" feeling. The name of the remix is "Mechanical God |Create|Corrupt|Consume|" in reference to Deus (badass robot) as the creator, the corrupter, and eventually the consumer. Durrrr.

Tech talk: Recorded in Steinberg Nuendo with an Ibanez SZ520 into a PodXT Live processor. Drumkit From Hell used for the drums.

I was really impressed by this arrangement when I first heard it on the WIP forums, though it sounds like it has been filled out since then. Really creative interpretation of Awakening/Omen with some great performances. The only aspect of the arrangement I didn't like was the abrupt ending, which I think could have been more resolved. It's not a dealbreaker but I would have liked to hear something with finality.

On the production end, let me start with the drums. They are sequenced well - the samples don't sound amazing, but they aren't worse than some other mixes we've potsed recently, and they get the job done. The mixing between rhythm guitar, lead guitar, and drums sounds good. However, I do have issues with the production. One is that there seems to be no actual bass instrument. I know it's not uncommon in metal to not have a bass, but I felt that even though the rhythm guitars are meaty, there was still something of a hole in the low end that could have been filled by a bass. You would of course roll off the lows on the rhythm guitars. Additionally, the whole mix seems to clip quite a bit, particularly in the rhythm guitars. Might just be digital distortion from hard limiting, but either way, you need to check that mastering again.

The bass and ending issues would not be enough to push this into NO territory, but the unpleasant clipping-type sound throughout the mix is holding this back. Take another look at the mastering.. turn the master track down until the volume isn't even close to approaching 0db, THEN apply compression and a brickwall limiter, in that order, to re-maximize the volume. If you need help with this ask in #ocrwip on IRC, the Remixing forum, or PM someone like Sixto, who does this sort of music all the time. And please RESUB!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, great arrangement. I love the contrast between the atmospheric sections and the balls-out sections. Fun dynamics and very expressive playing. Wonderful use of effects on that echoing guitar too - it's a very strong addition to the song. The pads that the song opens on are a little weak on their own, but that's about the extent of things I found wrong with the arrangement.

My big problem with the production is something zircon aludes to: it skews towards the highs, to the point of being grating. Definitely take his suggestions in the last paragraph to eliminate that clipping, and maybe put less emphasis on the high-end of your instruments. I don't think the song necessarily needs a bass, but shifting EQ around to fill out those low ranges would help. Very very close, man, just close it out.

NO (resubmit)

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/Xenogears_psf.rar - 216 "Awakening"

Opening texture felt a bit rough, but once it kicked up at :23 it reminds me a lot of Christian Pacaud's stuff, which is definitely a good thing. Drum sound doesn't quite fit to me, but I'm picky, plus its couched well in the soundscape, so it wasn't nearly a significant issue. Solid stuff so far. Cool use of the source verse in the background at 1:07-1:27, though the separation could have been a bit more distinct. I thought 2:29-3:11 was overcompressed, but even then I wasn't dying.

Anyway, no need to really comment in depth on the rest. I'm definitely feeling it. Seems like the only salient criticism is on the production side, but even then this seemed OK. Sounds a lot more like a YES (conditional) than a NO. The arrangement concept and execution are too strong to be held back. If zirc and Palp say this needs to be fixed, I trust them on it, but I wasn't hit the same way. Cool stuff, Justin, good luck with the rest of the vote.

• 3 weeks later...

the arrangement is definitely the strongest part of this. very emotional and driving. the writing is intelligent and not just aggressive. i dig it.

the drums. too thin. sounds like mike's acoustic drumkit SF2. not good for this genre. you need something with far more bite to it. compress the drums more, give it more volume... do something to bring it out of hiding and into the ferocious snarl of the rest of the track.

which, by the way, is phenomenally written. the guitar work is great... i think the rhythm guitars are clipping you a bit on the volume meter so you should take a look at that. i also think you need to seriously add a bass to this. bass doesnt have to BUMP to fill out spaces in the soundfield. you want to have a full, engaging sound.. you never want your audience with the sonically equivalent sensation of falling over. just get something that chugs along and keeps with the herd of instruments

close.

but keep the bubbly on ice.

NOresub

this is very close

Hmm...I definitely don't think the track as a whole is skewed towards highs...I'm listening on headphones, so the lows are right next to my eyears. I'm hearing plenty of punch in the guitars. I think what Palp might be hearing is that there's pretty much zero punch in the kick. I'm with larry that the drums are a bit weak. Definitely could help to fill out the kick below 200hz.

love it, but needs a resub.

NO