OCR01675 - Super Metroid "Mother Brain Suite"

djpretzel

Mmm, I love the way it sounds, very cinematic and fitting with Metroid.

The beats are very tight and it contains a very mechanical feel, perfect for someone who spends all her time in a suit of armor shooting missiles at a robotic incarnation of evil inside a planet. To top it all off, right from the get go it's very commanding, especially during the second and third sections, with sharp off/on pulses and the hammer'n'anvil sound. I really gotta say, I like it! :mrgreen:

This is simply the shit. Great creepy intro, loved the ambient sounds in the background. This is seriously epic, and fully deserving of the direct post it got. GREAT work. Wonderful brass work, and I normally hate brass. Equally great use of percussion. There's just an awesome cinematic drive to this.

I don't normally add comments or reviews to remixes but this (and not to play favoritism given how I love the music to Super Metroid and how much I like the Metroid series in general) is a wonderfully done piece and deserves its place in the music hall of fame.

Oddly enough though when I listen to it I can't help but compare it to the scoring found in the television show Lexx; I'm not sure how many of you know of it but planets tend to get blown up in that program and it, too, features a woman who can contort herself into a ball and roll around at high speed.

All in all a great remix and one I'm glad I took the time to listen to it.

Nice and powerful brass; and it does have a distinct space opera feel to it. The choir sample is well used as well, and the percussion is hitting hard enough that it's possible that you just recorded spaceships slamming into each other.

Everything is very polished sounding, and there are some great moments, but I found myself looking for more accompaniment. Often times there would be a melody with a rhythmic chord being played, but not much in the way of chord progressions.

In your sub letter you letter, you said you were aiming for the Basil Poledouris style and I think you completely nailed it; it's just not my favorite.

As far as Hollywood style, this is a very strong argument to get you some work in that field should you choose to pursue it.

Kickass mix, even though it doesn't push all my buttons. :-)

This is flippin' awesome. Very epic and amazingly well-produced. This definitely deserves full OST privileges. Almost has the God of War feel at the beginning but the rolling synth bass gives it a more sci-fi feel that gives the entire remix a hugely cohesive and original sound. Extremely well done, my friend.

Definitely hear the StormDrum in it too ;)

Very organic, very delicious. I don't normally like orchestral mixes so much, but this one is very precise in its mood and progression. Kudos on what sounds like beat-sampling from Metroid Prime. Main menu/intro theme for Prime aside, I wish they would have tapped a few OCremixers for the Prime soundtracks. That would have been epic.

First the good:

-Liked the intro.

-Production quality is great. Sounds very polished.

-Liked the mixed synth/tech with traditional orchestration. If you could mix opera in as well, you'd have something like Il Pleure by Art of Noise.

-Lots of good stuff here and there.

But:

-Would have liked to have heard the drums at 0:23-27 extended a bit (sounds like Spore Spawn miniboss) but LOTR kicks in a second or two after, so it comes off sounding rushed.

-1:30 pretty abrupt change there, too...

-Starting at 1:40 I feel like changing the melody (which didn't quite flatter it) was a bit much since at 1:50 you come up with a pretty good bridge leading into the next section.

-2:13 Ascending synth is really great here (in fact 2:14 to 2:21 is brilliant), but the only thing this section has in common with Mother Brain's boss music is four notes, of which you changed the rhythm. Had you used the voices to punch out the descending chromatic wails of the source material, I think this section would have been more climactic. The great thing about the original was the juxtaposition of the ascending, pounding baseline against those higher descending slides.

-Would have ended better at 3:38.

As a whole, though, good stuff.

Nice intro; it really conveys that certain Metroid feeling. Epicniss follows from 0:28 on, very cinematic.

Good use of the choir sample, and again, epicness kicking in at 1:30. You definitely got the soundtrack-feeling you wanted to achieve right.

The transition into the next part around 2:10 isn't really good, though. Not as smooth as it should have been, but fortunately, the remix returns to its epicness shortly thereafter.

I love the music from the Metroid series, and you did some good things with it. Diggin' it.

However, I'd like to see you do a stand-alone remix, i.e. not a medley, in the future. Since that would get rid off most transition-related problems, I'm sure that you could pull off something even better than this.

I really like a lot of your ideas here. Your usage of percussion is intricate, interesting and well done. I also love the louder parts; I think they brought a strong, curious evil feel to the mix. Quite an improvement of your previous song posted because there are so many well executed transitions now.

We have a very talented artist here. Certainly deserved the direct post.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01675 - Super Metroid "Mother Brain Suite"