OCR00898 - Phantasy Star IV "Phantasy Is a Four Letter Word"

djpretzel

endblink is a five letter word: HAPPY.

Wow. This mix KICKS ASS. And with a serious need for more Sega tunes around these parts, this mix is just what the doctor ordered.

What I like most about this ReMix is the FEEL of the piece. Right off the bat, I KNEW it was Phantasy Star 4. The game's music had it's own feel, it's own vibe, that set it apart from the rest of the Phantasy Stars... and I really felt that from this mix.

The wah guitar was amazing, and I love songs that use niffy voice samples. The opening one being especially sweet.

The only thing I might have changed is the ending. I didn't like the echo effect put on those strings. It was a nice sound that got kinda muddled.

Like guitars tracks? DOWNLOAD NOW! Like something different? DOWNLOAD NOW! Love Sega and Phantasy Star 4? And the reason you HAVEN'T download this ALREADY is????

I get drawn to all that is Phantasy Star like a moth to a flame...

Anyways, this remix is most definitely good. While I don't like the bassline that much, this remix makes me want to crack open a Vanilla Coke and remember the days when I was 8 or 9 years old and beating this game on rental...I recommend it.

Ah, yes! A Phantasy Star remix of any calibre is like nectar of the gods for me--I think the Phantasy Star series has the best game music ever, hands down. That said, I don't *LOVE* PS4 title theme (even though it is still great), but I do love what has been done with it in the remix. The guitar riffs are perfect for this song. They could have gone the more industrial way with this one, but the dark, moody metal guitar really suits this song. I agree with DJP that the drums could have been more apparent... I think this track would have ruled with some rockin' metal drums, something kind of frantic, fast and noisy, but it's still good as it is. I'm glad DJ Pretzel seems to like Phantasy Star as much as I do, insuring that he will post any good PS mix that comes his way... Keep 'em comin!!

you guys are too kind to us.... thanks for all the nice words... if you like this one, you'll be blown away (or atleast we are going to try our damnedest to do so) by our next one... keep yer ears peeled...

by the way, im just curious if anyone has identified the origin of the organ arpeggio at the begining... any guesses?

I'm hopin' it more Sega!

It just needs to be said again: This is a MUST DOWNLOAD.

• 1 month later...

WOW. 11/10. The ULTIMATE Remix. It doesn't get any better than this from what I've heard. Anyone trying to remix this song now should just stop. Now. You have no chance of doing better than this.

P.S. What was that weird noise in the background during certain parts of the song? I'm not referring to the voices or any of the electronic stuff.

P.S.S- Was that guy talking about acid reflux? Me confused.

WOW. 11/10. The ULTIMATE Remix. It doesn't get any better than this from what I've heard. Anyone trying to remix this song now should just stop. Now. You have no chance of doing better than this.

P.S. What was that weird noise in the background during certain parts of the song? I'm not referring to the voices or any of the electronic stuff.

P.S.S- Was that guy talking about acid reflux? Me confused.

exceeeelllent... more kind words...

acid reflux?? naw... actually thats a quote from alien 3... after ripley gives a description of the alien... and the noise you speak of, which you probaball heard under that quote right?? im not sure exactly how nate made that noise, but it was with some fruity loops plug-in, and i think basically it took a noise and stretched it out, and such... err i dunno... but the desired effect was that it was to sound like a digerie-doo...

• 1 month later...

AWESOME MIX! AWESOME, AWESOME STUFF!!!

What i love is you know straight off the bat its a PS4 remix. It stays true to the original tune.

Compared to djpretzel's mix, i love how yours focuses on the sweet melody of the theme.

I keep swaying back and forth from djpretzel's brilliant version to your mix but you may just pip his!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a little divided conserning this remix. It had many different features, it began with a voice sample which then followed by a saw of some sort, and also a distorted synth along with some heavy drums and beats beating in rhytm with it. I liked the parts at 2:22 and 3:49, it got some more gentle touch with it.

But I felt that this was way to chaotic for my taste, the electric guitar was mostly trying to add some more havoc unto the arrangement. But I still gotta admire them for their creativity, I already knows that the original wasn't anything like this. It took a while for me to get the meaning of the title. Nothing deep with it, but I still remember how hard it was to figure out some cool names when you only had four letters or less to make out somthing of. Nice work dudes!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Production is a bit muddy, and some of the guitaring is pretty sloppy, but there are some good arrangement ideas scattered throughout. I thought a lot of the samples were strangely used. Seriously, acid reflux plus terminator equals confusion for me.

The drums seemed pretty weak, and a lot of transitions were jarring.

Props for live guitar and bass though.

Some good arrangement ideas, but compared to remixes nowadays, the production is really lacking.

• 4 years later...

Quite the take on such a short, repetitive track. The mixing is really grungy, but given the genre that may be something you were going for. That synth interlude around 3' really caught my ear. The transition to a cleaner guitar at the end was a nice way to end such a chaotic, driven track.

Hearing speech samples from so many different sources is a bit jarring, especially when I recognize where they're from. When they take a back-seat to the instruments, they do add interest to the sonic space. Overall, it's a really full remix and I appreciate that. Makes me want to check out the Phantasy Star series too! There's a lot of talk about the standards of OCR being lower back in the day, but I enjoyed listening to this. It still rocks!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00898 - Phantasy Star IV "Phantasy Is a Four Letter Word"