Anybody know anything about electric drum sets?

SenPi

Alright, so within the next few months, I'm probably gonna buy myself an electric drum set.

If anybody has any experience with them, and can lend some input that would be great. I'm not quite sure how much these things usually go for, so just naming anything right now would be nice. If possible, maybe some lower brands and some higher brands for comparison.

I've played on one or two models, both Rolands (can't remember the model numbers). Honestly, I wasn't that impressed. I'm by no means a great drummer, but I couldn't stand the lack of proper response from the snare; it just didn't feel real, have the bounce that I'd expect from a real snare. You're also limited with things like the hi-hat; on a real kit, you can have it wide open, closed, or anywhere in between, while some electric kits don't model that well, if at all. I'd highly recommend getting a real kit instead, unless you have a good reason not to (like wanting to record MIDI parts for mixes using your electric drum kit and use a better sound module on your computer to render the audio).

That said, I've heard the Roland models are pretty good comparatively, and buying an electric kit comes with the knowledge that you're not buying a real kit so things will be different. If you live close to a good music store, I'd recommend going in and trying out what they have to get a feel for your options.

Well, I have a few reasons.

1. I would like to record on to my mixes with it.

2. My dad doesnt want the noise of drums. (Thus headphoned electric set would work perfectly).

3. If possible, I'd like to make/get some h4x to play drummania with them :P

But mostly, its for learning how to play drums. Cant really get a real drumset, cause I wont be allowed to play it if my parents are home (and I dont get home from work, till like 6, so they will be there mostly every day after I get home).

So yea, those are my reasons.

One day, when I move out I'll get a real one, but I'd like an electric one for now :D.

Ok, fair enough.

I can't find the set I've played most recently; it was at a church I no longer attend (I moved away) and it's been about two years since I've last played it. It would be comparable to this, except that theirs had a different sound module. That's the low end of Roland's kits, based on the site. Can't say anything about the other models or the competition though.

If you're not really a drummer, I'd stick with something low end; no point paying a ton unless you know what you're getting and how to make the best use of it.

I think I remember seeing a VDrum kit in the Jamspace photos and videos from Magfest 7; maybe someone who played it could post their opinion?

You know, I remember there was that post, but for some reason I thought it meant something else :P.

Anyways, I think I'll let my budget go up to 1500, Basically I want a set that can at least replicate the variation of real drums.

i.e.

Hitting different places, getting different sound

Velocity (hard soft)

Hihat (open, half open etc)

you know what I mean.

Know any brands around that price range that would give me what I want.

Oh, also, I dont really play drums. I rented a set last year, and I got somewhat good pretty quickly. So essentially I want these now so I can learn to play the drums, then one day I'll get a real set. Right now I want a moderately good set. Not too expensive, but not too cheep ass :P

You know, I remember there was that post, but for some reason I thought it meant something else :P.

Anyways, I think I'll let my budget go up to 1500, Basically I want a set that can at least replicate the variation of real drums.

i.e.

Hitting different places, getting different sound

Velocity (hard soft)

Hihat (open, half open etc)

you know what I mean.

Know any brands around that price range that would give me what I want.

Oh, also, I dont really play drums. I rented a set last year, and I got somewhat good pretty quickly. So essentially I want these now so I can learn to play the drums, then one day I'll get a real set. Right now I want a moderately good set. Not too expensive, but not too cheep ass :P

I said it in the other therad, but I think it's worth saying again; if you ask me, you get more for your money with Yamaha than with Roland. With that said, if you're buying new with a $1500 budget, I think the Yamaha DXPIV is your best bet at $1200 here: http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&cat=1625&cart=7754541

If you could swing the money for the DXPIVSP, then you'll get an added cymbal pad, and more realitic feelng and responding hi hat. If you can't swing something quite that expensive, you could always get the DXPIV and add a cheap hi hat stand and the RHH130 (I believe the RHH130 is there top of the line hi hat pad, but I'd check on that first before you buy) found here: http://www.massmusic.net/shop/index.php?rec=15&shop=1&cart=7754541&cat=1626&keywords=&match_criteria=&searchCat=

Keeping in mind that you need to buy a bass pedal as well, you'd be pushing your budget for either option that gets you the better hi hat pad. I think getting the DXPIV is your best bet overall if you go new, and you'll always be able to upgrade pads later when you have a bit more money.

I've owned a Roland V-Drum kit for years now and love it. I use it on all of my latest recordings and it's been very helpful for practicing and recording.

For my tastes, I prefer the v-drums kits over anything else, especially the Yamaha kits linked to above, because of the response you get from v-drum heads. I've tried all kinds of electronic kits and nothing beats v-drums for me. They more closely mimic the response you get from a real drum head (because of the mesh heads), thus providing the kind of feedback you want when playing rolls, ghost notes and just generally feeling good the way you want drumming to feel like.

They're expensive though, so you'll pay quite a price for a decent setup if you go that route.

I've owned a Roland V-Drum kit for years now and love it. I use it on all of my latest recordings and it's been very helpful for practicing and recording.

For my tastes, I prefer the v-drums kits over anything else, especially the Yamaha kits linked to above, because of the response you get from v-drum heads. I've tried all kinds of electronic kits and nothing beats v-drums for me. They more closely mimic the response you get from a real drum head (because of the mesh heads), thus providing the kind of feedback you want when playing rolls, ghost notes and just generally feeling good the way you want drumming to feel like.

They're expensive though, so you'll pay quite a price for a decent setup if you go that route.

Trouble with the mesh heads is any kit with all the tom pads being the mesh headed variety will be out of his price range (or at least they were when I was shopping for an electronic kit a couple of years ago).

Just to play devils advocate on the mesh heads for DJ's sake though; I personally can't stand them. Whenever I've used them it just felt like I wasn't hitting anything, and I could never get used to it. I've never noticed any difference in trigger response with them compared to Yamaha's rubber pads either, so whether you prefer mesh or rubber heads all comes down to the feel of the sticks hitting the drum. Get to some stores and start hitting to find out what you like.

The most important thing for DJ, I think, is to get something that's good quality and with plenty of great features so that he can use it effectively for remixes, as well as for learning to play. Getting a good drum module is the most important part for now, since getting better pads can always come later.

The most important thing for DJ, I think, is to get something that's good quality and with plenty of great features so that he can use it effectively for remixes, as well as for learning to play. Getting a good drum module is the most important part for now, since getting better pads can always come later.

You hit the nail right on the head :D. That is definitely the most important thing for me right now. If I do want even better stuff in the future, I can just wait. I'll definitely be able to buy better stuff if I want to next fall anyways :D.

Hmm I'll have to look in to that one.

On a similar note, last night I went to a local music store to try out a few sets. First I gotta get something straight here though. The DXPIV you linked me. That comes with the drum module, all those pads, and the stands and stuff right? IF not, then this makes more sense, because I could swear I saw something exactly like the DXPIVSP setupt at my local shop here and it was like $3700. So either those links are just for the module, or buying them at that store is WAY cheeper than at my store :P.

I also got to try out a snare pad with a mesh head. I think I like the rubber pads better :D.

The DXPIV will some with everything you saw in the links except the bass pedal. What you saw at the shop was probably a DTXtreme IIS set. They usually sit in the $4,000 range. Massmusic doesn't have them on their site for some reason, but here's a link to the Yamaha website so you can see a set: http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumproductdetail.html?CNTID=544643&CTID=5040587

The DXPIVSP uses the same high end cymbal and three-zone snare pads as the DTXtreme, but has a lower end module, and uses their low end pads for the toms. The rack the pads are on is also slightly different. It'd be easy to confuse the two if you're not really familiar with them, so I'd say you probably saw the DTXtremes rather than the DXPIVSP.

Ahh yea, that link is exactly the one I saw. My mistake :P.

I want to see a DXPIVSP so I can see what its really like :(. Maybe one of the other stored around here might have em.

Edit: Ahh ok I see the difference now with the toms. But I liked how the hihat/cymbals felt when I played it.

Well, does the DXPIVSP come with a bass pedal, or would I have to buy that myself? and by bass pedal you mean, the pedal and not the pad right?

If this is true, I might spring a bit more to get the DXPIVSP and a pedal.

Edit2: Hmm.. Id really like to see some specification/pictures of the drum module itself, I want to see what kinds of connections it has on the back.

Also, what is this "Choose Free Gear" Business on this massmusic site?

Edit: Ahh ok I see the difference now with the toms. But I liked how the hihat/cymbals felt when I played it.

Can't fault you there. I personally think that Yamaha's top of the line cymbal pads are the best feeling and responding out there. The three distinct zones on the ride pad in particular are great. Being able to play the edge, the bow, and the bell of the ride separately on an electronic kit is a god send, and I've never had a mis-trigger when playing on them in the past.

Well, does the DXPIVSP come with a bass pedal, or would I have to buy that myself? and by bass pedal you mean, the pedal and not the pad right?

If this is true, I might spring a bit more to get the DXPIVSP and a pedal.

I'm quite certain that neither the DXPIV or the SP will come with the pedal (they do have the pad though). Yamaha's bottom of the line electronic kit comes with a pedal, but I guess the assumption is if you're going for something higher end, you either already have a pedal, or know what you want, and would prefer not to get one with the kit. A decent pedal can be picked up in the $100 range though, and that'd be enough to last until you develop a sense of what works for your playing style.

Edit2: Hmm.. Id really like to see some specification/pictures of the drum module itself, I want to see what kinds of connections it has on the back.

Also, what is this "Choose Free Gear" Business on this massmusic site?

Ask and you shall receive. Here's a pic of the back of the DXPIV module: http://www.musiciansbuy.com/mmMBCOM/images/yamaha/yamaha_DXPIV_Rear_Module.jpg

and the front: http://www.musicland.co.jp/static-image/topix/all_dtxpress/e-dr/06_dtxp4module_front.jpg

It doesn't have a lot in the way of dedicated trigger inputs, but you can always split the tom and kick outputs if you want to add a pad or two. It's also got Midi out for recording with it, so you'll need some form of audio interface to get the midi data to your computer for recording, but you'd need one for any kit in this price range.

hmm ok. Now for the very random question :P.

Is there something I could buy/create to somehow hook this up to a ps2 to play drummania with? (just a little side project if its possible)

Edit: so I did a bit of reasearch and actually found somebody talking about this on a forum. Turns out I already have the thing to make it work. You need a Yamaha UX16 Midi to Usb interface, I guess you plug the midi from the drums to the usb of the ps2, and it recognizes it like that. I already had the interface for an old keyboard I had that used USB ports. haha awesome.

So, I think I'm set on the DXPIVSP. If you could, would you be able to recommend a few bass pedals (some cheep, and some around 100 or so).

Now I just have to go check out some more stores, and find a good deal. :D If you see any for the DXPIVSP let me know :D

Edit: Ok so I did some quick googling. and I found these. Do you have any info for the credibility of some of these sites. Some are offering the set at a lower price, with a bunch of stuff included. I just dont like trusting stuff on the internet off the bat :P (the 2nd one is the one you linked me to)

1. http://www.contoismusic.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DXPIVSP

$1,499.99

Comes with:

FPDS2 Drum Pedal and Throne Package

RH3C Professional Stereo Headphones

2. http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&cat=1625&

$1,599.00

3. http://www.musiciansbuy.com/YAMAHA-DXPIVSP-DTXpress-IV-Special-Edrumset-wFREE-Throne-Pedal-Headphones-dxpivsp-dxpiv-sp-DXPIVSPKIT.html

$1,499.99

Comes with:

GIB 5611 Kick Pedal

Yamaha RH2C Full Sized Headphones

GIB 6608 Drum Throne Moto Style

HOSA CPP410G Dual 1/4 Cable

4. http://www.nstuffmusic.com/pm-3106-10-yamaha-dxpivsp-electronic-drum-kit.aspx

$1,449.99

Honestly, I haven't heard of those online stores with the exception of Massmusic. I don't usually buy online as I like my local music stores, and since I'm good friends with the owner and half the staff, they usually hook me up with some good deals. I've also never actually bought anything from Massmusic, but I've seen many people on a few drum forums I've frequented over the years have very good experiences with them, and even talked with the owner, Andy, on a few occasions in forums. He's a great guy, and seems willing to go the extra mile for customers. Also, if you go to massmusic.net, they have a form linked on the homepage for price matching, so I'd check with them to see if they can match the prices the other stores you linked to are offering. I may not have used massmusic before, but I wouldn't hesitate to if there was something I couldn't get at my local store.

As for bass pedal recomendations, I'll post some links to some inexpensive options. Any of them will do the job well for the money.

Pearl P120 & 120P: http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&cat=1054&cart=7763780

Gibraltar Avenger & Intruder: http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&cat=465&cart=7763780

Tama Iron Cobra & Iron Cobra Junior: http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&cat=586&cart=7763780

Yamaha FP8110: http://www.massmusic.net/shop/?shop=1&cat=586&cart=7763780

For under $100 I'd say the best value is either the Pearl, Yamaha or any of the Gibraltars. If you went Gibraltar I'd go with the Avenger or the 9611DC or 9611SD. The 9611DD has a bit of a unique feeling drive system that isn't for everyone (by all means try it at a store if you can though and see if you like it). If you can spend slightly more than $100 then any of the Tama Iron Cobras would be worth the cash. They're Tamas high end pedals, and many people swear by them. Even though I play Yamaha pedals, I have to admit that the Tamas feel great and are one of the best constructed pedals around. They're built to last. Get to a store to get a feel for what you like if you can, but you can't go wrong with any of the ones I've recommended, and every pedal I've linked to is a great pedal in it's own right. Any of them would be a good buy.

I must say, I really love my Yamaha DTXtremeIIs kit. A tad pricey (at least it was when I got it, it's probably gone down now), but about as good a "feel" IMO as you can get aside from real drums. Plus they're NICE and responsive. And sturdy! I can bang on 'em as much as I want and as hard as I want and they haven't worn out yet with my three years of abuse.

Hmm, so I went there today.

All around town, the price was around $1690. We got them down to $1666. Now, either I was going to buy a good pedal, or get them to throw one in. We convinced them to throw one in. I think its one of the pedals that comes with some lower end electronic set, but I think thats good enough for me. Either I get this one free, or I buy a high quality one. I'll use this one for now, and when I get more money / need a better petal, I'll buy a good one.

Anyways, it'll be a few weeks at least so looks like now I'm playing the waiting game.