OCR00899 - Final Fantasy VI "Dancing Madly (First Form)"

djpretzel

I thought this was a pretty cool take on the theme that actually hasnt been covered by anyone except virt in my mind. I thought waxingeloquent did a good job of not making it sound so repetative as when I remember him working on it earlier was. So great job man I hope to see the other 3 parts to complete this masterpiece up on OC in the future. :)

I've never heard the original so I can't really comment on the difference, but I like the intricate layers in this song. My only complaint, and the sole reason it won't be playing much on my machine, is that the drums are WAY too weak when the whole orchestral-plus-organ-wall-of-sound thing comes in. Overall a nice mix, though.

DC

Edit: Ok, now I've heard the original. I stand corrected. This is a LOT like the original. The main differences being updated sounds and a good (but low volume) beat. :? Looking back, I'm not sure I would have voted the same way, though if this wasn't directly from a midi, it must have taken some major ear-work to get into such complete replicated form...

This piece sticks in my mind for hours after I've heard it. Although I feel the ending is a little too drawn out, it does fit the 'unnerving' atmosphere of the piece, and I think this is well worth listening too.

I'd say it shines brightest around 3:03 > 3:34 with a high haunting lead, to a ‘sparkling’ falling transition back to the main melody. Ghostly.

From what I've heard over in WIP (subtlety is thy middle name) the next 'forms' are even greater variations of one of my favourite battle themes. I await them with great anticipation.

Good stuff.

I'm glad to see this finally posted! Mad props to Protricity for helping me get it recovered from the queue.

To address your concern, DiscoDan, this wasn't ripped from MIDI: I just sat down and dissected the parts and decided how I was going to change them. A lot of the main themes I left pretty much alone, but I didn't really want to get too ambitious w/ my first track. I expect you will like the second one a lot more. =) Number 2 was submitted a few months ago as well, and 3 probably has a couple weeks on it in the queue already. If anyone wants to listen to them early they're at http://www.atlantisvalley.com/hosting/index.html

All in all, I am very happy with them from a personal perspective, and I'm happy to see others enjoying them as well. All comments and suggestions are always very much appreciated!

peace

Neato. I like that synth sound with the bell at the beginning. My favorite part is the section at 2:34. Some real interesting sounds going on in there along with some really neat drums. You did great drum programming overall, but the actual samples used lack punch and you’ve kept all the drums pretty quiet. Maybe that was intended to keep the focus on the musical part of the mix. I can’t decide if it’s a plus or minus for me. Great work on this, however.

meant to post this the other day.

i really like this remix.

i went ahead and downloaded 2 and 3 from yer website good remixer sir. and i have to say. #2 is excellent as well. but 3... while good. doesn't keep the same mood of the other two. thumbs down.

but for *this* remix. I really like everything about it. 8/10

^.^

I listened to your mix as soon I saw it because I am the biggest Kefka fan in the Universe. I liked it very much, but as some of the others mentioned it could have been more. You should be proud of your first Remix though, just work a bit more on those drums.

BTW: I'm going to your site now, just to check out the other ones.

Cheers,

RN

It all depends on the sounds your looking for. I thought this piece was well done. It is so true to the original but more.... grand. I love the way he did the timpani rolls into the gong hits. Beautiful. And of course the part where the song takes a small turn into a bit of a trancy drum n bass sound with panning snares and great samples/sounds.

I think the mix sounds perfect. the drums being at the level they are now is perfect as not to take away from the beautiful screaming and crying synths. And it all ends in a melodramtic fade out of instruments leaving.

Recomended to the FF6 fans. You will get a kick out of it.

This song starts off very slow at first.. But I ended up having goosebumps at about 3:00 into the song.. The part where the song begins to pick up is my favorite part, I remember having the original song, and skipping straight to that part, oh, the joy.. :lol: This is definitely a song I wouldn't mind seeing more remixes of.. Keep em coming!

Edit: I am also a very big fan of Kefka's theme, as you may have already noticed.. I always hoped that OCR would get some remixes of Dacing Mad, and I hope that more come in soon..

• 2 weeks later...

I really really liked this mix. I am no musician, but somehow the overfeel and intricasy(sp?) of this mix was very appealing. One of the facts I very much liked that has been somewhat viewed upon negatively by fellow listeners is the downplayed drums. It is refreshing to have a mix that can be energetic without having an overly strong bass track. Overall the remixed tune had a very orchestrated, grand, dramatic feel to it, much like the game the original track came from. Very nice. :)

This song really suprised me. The way the opening sounds really doesn't do justice to how the rest of the song lays out. Good use of the running lead synths at the 45 second mark. Good use of minor chords. The drums could be a little louder in the 1.15 section. Good chord use at 2.05. Good use of timpanis throughout this whole song. Good change of mood at 2.34 as well as good use of distorted guitar and panning snare drum. Really good build up at 3.02. REALLY POWERFUL. Starting to get used to the main theme. Could use a little variation, but it is still keeping me interested. Really good change at 4.19. Good use of church bells. Good fade out at the end. The church bells really put the finishing touches on it. I can't say enough about this piece. It is by far my favorite in my playlist right now. I only wish that I had the time, talent, and resources to produce a fine piece of work such as this. High recommendation from me.

It's about 5 days after my last post on this song and I just wanted to say I'm still listening to it. On repeat. Constantly. Sometimes it's in a playlist with other songs, but mostly it's by itself. This has broken a new record, ladies and gents. It's officially the song I've listened to the longest and the most without getting sick of it. 8O

• 1 month later...

It's half past March now and I'm still listening to this MP3 at least several times a day. It has it all: longevity, interest, true to the original while being innovative and excellent production quality. It's tracks like this that either give me a kick op the backside to get on and learn this stuff or else cry in a corner because the cahnces that I'd ever get this good are slim :)

• 4 months later...

Very nice. It's a little bit repetitive at some points, but the middle section at about 2:40 (that sounds faintly like Kefka's theme at one point) is really brilliant. The choice of instruments and percussion is wonderful. I honestly have no complaints here, except for it being slightly repetitive at times (such as the introduction and ending). What I like most about it is that it combines many different styles, such as classical and breakbeat, to create something truly unique.

Props to waxingeloquent for doing something different.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Niiice, had that swooooshy feeling in the beginning from the game, I recognized this track right away. It may have sounded a bit too much alike the OST, but it still had a soothing and almost groovy mood, but gained some more tempo in the middle, nice thing. Good usage of all the techno stuff, wax.

• 1 month later...

To me, this sounds like a Final Fantasy VI/Perfect Dark remix. Albeit, I've only plaed the former.

Regardless, this is a lot more confrontation than nihilistic comedy. I like that. I loved Kefka for his insaness, but I don't mind this turning into a more Septhiroth battle.

I think this is a good remix. And thank God it doesn't have any vocals.

Good job!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00899 - Final Fantasy VI "Dancing Madly (First Form)"