Lost inspiration and motivation, what now?

NeoS

I would have to agree with Harmony. Sometime in the future, if what you made is salvageable, then by all means go back to it after you develop your skills on new stuff. But my suggestion is that if you have a bunch of ideas in your head, start with the ones that you like the least. After you hear something you put into the computer a bunch of times, no matter how bad it is in comparison to the original, that's what you're gonna convince yourself it's meant to sound like. After you get good enough to develop some degree of accuracy in laying down the notes and especially picking out rhythms, then that's when you do your personal favorites.

If that were true, then this whole website is a giant waste of time for all involved.
In case you didn't realize, most of the remixes on this site were not created by the original authors of the source tunes. So, NeoS's question and my response to it don't apply.

To clarify my opinion: Working on a song you created a while ago might be fun, and it might result in some cool new improvements, but I think that if your goal is to continuously improve yourself as a musician (as is my goal and I'm sure plenty of others'), making a new song will almost always beat dredging up past WIPs.

Ok, i got your point. But what about difference in styles? I mean, I tend to create alot of dance-ish tracks. Sometimes I go out of my way and create something like a hiphop or even pop/rock ish things, which usually result in an idea that's never going to be finished.

Still i hear alot of people say it's a good thing to do alot of different styles, even if you don't really like them. It should improve your skills in many ways. But I know i won't do anything with it, so why bother?

I don't know what all has been posted here, but my personal recommendation:

Take a break! Go do shit outside, go chill with some buddies and whatever you find fun that's not at all related to music. Then that night, sit down and force out 30 seconds of music, no matter how long it takes. You might find it comes easier than you think. It sounds like you're just forcing yourself a bit too hard.

Ok, i got your point. But what about difference in styles? I mean, I tend to create alot of dance-ish tracks. Sometimes I go out of my way and create something like a hiphop or even pop/rock ish things, which usually result in an idea that's never going to be finished.

Still i hear alot of people say it's a good thing to do alot of different styles, even if you don't really like them. It should improve your skills in many ways. But I know i won't do anything with it, so why bother?

I'm guessing since different styles have emphasis on different elements, that by trying out some other styles you may notice things about your overall production that you would normally neglect or overlook, which thus helps you even if you never do that style again. (can't think of a good example)

Trying to go out of your way and use a different style can really inspire you (at least it has me). I mean, a lot of interesting ideas come from combining styles anyway. Maybe you might like the beat you created, and next time make a trance song with hip-hop drums. Or rock guitars over dance beats. Or even just a hip-hop break in your dance song. Even if you don't end up completing your experimental song, sometimes it'll really expand your mind as to the possiblities in music.