Guitar Amp Buzz

MrBogus

Just the past day or two, I've had this unexplainable buzz from my new Roland Micro Cube that I bought 3 weeks ago (great amp and cheap too, recommended by forum member). I know it's not the guitar because if I unplug the cable from the guitar but leave the other end in the amp, I still get the same buzz.

I thought the amp might be picking up some electrical interference in the air, but I've plugged it into various outlets throughout the house and still get the same issue.

I'm pretty sure it's not that cool feedback effect either, as there's no guitar plugged in to feed back into.

The only way to get rid of the buzz is to disconnect the cable from the amp side as well, but I doubt it's a cable issue as it came brand new with my new guitar that I also bought 3 weeks ago. I heard that you're not supposed to leave the cable plugged into the amp even when it's turned off, is this true?

Any ideas? Once again, thanks in advance.

If you're sure its not the guitar or interferance, its the lead. I bought a brand new lead and it did something similar. I went back to the shop and got another lead of the same type, and that one sucked aswell. Turns out they had a bum batch, had to get rid of all of them.

If you've got any other leads around, try using them instead and see what happens.

the hell is a lead? must be some commonwealth thing.

anyways as po! said it's likely a grounding (or "earthing" for you commonwealth bastards) issue. a ground loop can cause a nasty 60hz hum in your amp. not sure what you can do about it though. you're likely shit out of luck. my guitar makes some seriously nasty noise, and i don't even use an amp (i go direct into my soundcard).

also, po! are you sure that the buzz you're hearing isn't just the front panel rattling since it's loose as you say?

also, po! are you sure that the buzz you're hearing isn't just the front panel rattling since it's loose as you say?

its definitely buzz coming from the amp. the front panel isn't really loose in the sense that it rattles if i hit it.. but more like i can bend/push it inwards.. and slowly over time it creeps back out

i suppose i should fix it, but it doesnt really bother me much. if it starts buzzing i just push the panel.. and that keeps it happy for a couple months