OCR01717 - *YES* Super Metroid 'Fuzzy Green Feeling'

Liontamer

* Your ReMixer name - Kidd Cabbage

* Your real name - Jonathan Peros

* Your email address - jdperos@hotmail.com

* Your website - http://kiddcabbage.scott-bloom.com

* Your userid - 21995

* Name of game(s) arranged - Super Metroid

* Name of individual song(s) arranged - Green Brinstar (Brinstar 1)

* Remix name - Fuzzy Green Feeling

First off, this song has a whole slew of stylistic influences. From progressive to funk to grunge to dance to melodic death metal. I guess that's what the term 'progressive metal' is for though. Green Brinstar has always been one of my favorite songs from the game, although one of the hardest to fit into my style. The drums in this song were intense, to say the least. It took me about three times as long to program out these drums, compared to the normal amount of time, but I would definitely say that it was worth it. I tried some new things in the production, and I think it turned out well. I got rid of a lot of the mud heard in some of my previous mixes, and didn't need to squish this one up near as much. The solo in this song was the hardest thing I've ever had to record, but I like the way it turned out and how it transitioned from the synth solo. As always, a very energy-packed mix, and I'm very happy with it. I hope you are, too!

• 2 weeks later...

Another solid arrangement, Jonathan. The incorporation of the Brinstar riffs into this is excellent. It also shows how much effort you put into those drums - they barely sound sequenced and there are some very fun parts to listen to. I love the detour taken at 1:50 into that manic "Black Betty"-esque section. The only thing I'd like to add is that I wish the song was more of a departure stylistically from your other work. I'd love to see you try out some wildly different instruments and textures, cause I think you would do awesome with it. That's not a knock on this song at all; just something for you to consider.

I can tell you've spent some time upping your production too. The sounds are getting a lot cleaner. Only thing I noticed was that the lead synth in the opening sections covers a lot of the same territory as the guitars, and sounds a little muddy. It works a lot better in the higher ranges, like around 2:38. Otherwise, bang up job.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=sm - "Brinstar Overgrown with Vegetation Area" (sm-19.spc)

One of my regrets of this past MAGFest was not being able to hang a little bit with Jon, who's definitely one of the promising rock remixers who's checked out OCR and hook us up with some good submission. He's had a good run so far in the DoD competitions, and he told me how he's working on improving his production skills

Yeah, I just wanted to panel this to show off to the panel the step up Jon has taken since his CV4 mix, "Death Stroke", in terms of having it clicking on all cylinders this time.

One criticism, I thought the synth from :53-1:15 sounded on the amelodic side and hurt that section. Other than that, solid programming and performances, great energy and interpretation the whole way through.

I'll leave it to any of the guitar Js to provide legit insight into where your performance could use improvement, but I thought it was above bar, and that's all I'm concerned about. You're only getting better, bro. Definitely looking forward to more!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome. This is one of the better metal remixes i've heard. Great genre adaptation, and great production. Sparse harmonies, but it's appropriate for the genre. I can't hear a bass guitar either, but that's also typical of the genre. Ballsy all-around, and a very creative remix.

YES

Heard this one at the MAG DoD listening party; liked it then, and like it now. Arrangement is awesome. Loving the riffs. The time you spent on the drums definitely shows, because they kick ass along with everything else, especially at the end when the track would've been really repetitive if the drums hadn't kept the mix fresh. The instrumentation is pretty spare, but you get a lot of mileage out of it and the source through a bunch of guitar and synth ideas. And that wah guitar in the back at the end that brings the mix home, man. Rock on.

YES