How to Post a Picture or Signature

endblink

ok a little more info. I tried to upload the file to ImageShack but it said my file type (avi) is not allowed.

how would I change the the avi file to an allowed file like Jpeg or Gif.

last off i was wrong on the size. my avi file is 1.44MB and Imageshack says it only allows 1.02MB's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ok a little more info. I tried to upload the file to ImageShack but it said my file type (avi) is not allowed.

how would I change the the avi file to an allowed file like Jpeg or Gif.

last off i was wrong on the size. my avi file is 1.44MB and Imageshack says it only allows 1.02MB's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The answer is you'd have to convert it manually into an animated GIF file.

An AVI file is actually a video file. To use an AVI would be the same as saying you want to upload a Windows Media Player file (WMV) or a Quicktime movie (MOV) as your sig. It's not possible.

JPGs and GIFs are the most common image formats used for sig. A GIF is actually more of an animated picture, but one that you have to animate yourself if you plan on creating a new one out of this video. Using a program like ImageReady (which is usuually bundled with Photoshop) is pretty much the standard around here. But, you'd have to create this GIF image by image, frame by frame til you have a moving image.

As a side note, though, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT have an sig that's over - I can't believe I'm saying this - 400kb. Some people don't have cable modems (or in your case, if you're looking to upload a 1.5 MB sig, a T3 connection). I used to say 100kbs, but people are getting more and more inconsiderate daily, and I'm going with the times.

Keep signature images small, because large animated sigs are a pain in the ass to load, and cause incredibly bad slowdown, which ruins the forum going experience for others. Thanks to programs like FireFox, these ricockulously huge sigs can be blocked, and I (as an example) pretty much block everyone's sigs that are WAY too huge, and I'm possitive most other people here do the same, meaning that you'd be uploading a sig people will block anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
thx for the response. I don't have photoshop so is there anyfreeware you can recommend to make it an animate GIF and how would I redue the size to 400KBs.

Search google for, "unfreez" it's a freeware and it's pretty basic. But it's good if you don't have photoshop.

Hi. Thanks for the info. I downloaded UnFREEz but I'm having trouble.

I downloaded an AVI/video file of two stickfigures fighting each other (Jet-li and Jackie chan)

Its 1.44MB's. Then I downloaded ImageVideoMachine from download.com which broke the video into 1807 JPEG images which I put in an empty folder.

Afterwards (now) I just downloaded UnFREEz 2.1 and followed all the steps but realized I needed GIFs so I rebroke the video file and selected GIF as the image format. I deleted the original 1807 JPEG images. Now when I right click any of the 1807 images and select properties the image registers as a GIF.

However when I select all the images and drop them in unfreez and click "make animated GIF" and save it to my desktop I get a screen reading "ERROR Not a GIF File, or incorrect version number"

Why is this happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS Even though the original AVI was 1.44mb, the 1807 GIfs amount to 5.7MBs. why is this and how should i make it smaller so it can be my sig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...