OCR00902 - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest "Mystic Mountain (2LATE Mix)"

djpretzel

*points at Pollard* HE did it! :D

Yeah, I really didn't have any more of a hand in this than I did in the original that you can find on SQUAREDANCE. But lemme say this: This version is total hardcore 0wnage. I told Pollard this when he first reworked it, and, like, I dunno what else to say. It fuxing rocks. MP usually goes with breaks, but he definitely has that same versatility that I like to think I have. I wholly hope he makes some more industrial techno in the future. :)

Meant to post before at songs I loved (especially Suikoden), but never have I felt obligated to overcome my laziness until I heard the break at about 1'28" in this song. Absolutely amazing. What strikes me is how similar it is to a portion of a song in Wing Commander: Privateer, a DOS space flight sim from about '94 with some very excellent ambient music.

I'm not crazy about nuances in backbeats and whatnot, although your head-bobbing percussion certainly doesn't detract from the song. However, I just keep sending the slider to 1'28" and listening from that section on with a wide nostalgic grin, and have recommended it to all my compatriots who have a place in their hearts for Privateer. Excellent job guys, and thanks!

I say its about damn time. And boy is it a good remix. As soon as teh first notes popped up i was like "awsome song to remix" and remixed so well. We all know my (and alot of others peoples opinions) about FFMQ with my wonderful thread i started http://remix.overclocked.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11090&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=quest&start=0. It was very grand. about 1000 views. im so proud. but seriously we need to get more FFMQ remix's going here. and this is a damn good kick start.

I love FFMQ, and the music from Mystic Quest is truly awesome. Beatdrop and mp picked my favorite song from the game to remix. This electronica is so hard you can beat your kids with it. I fiddled with this Mt. Gale theme for a while but couldn't get anything to work for me, and I'm glad to see the contrary happened in this case. Excellent remix, and bring on the Mystic Quest remixes!

Well, I don't like MQ that much at all, but the music is fine. I like this mix although I would have to agree with The Nephian on the ending. I don't enjoy abrupt endings like that so much so.....yeah. But otherwise I think the remix is great. Haven't played MQ in forever but I remember this song because of how much I used to play it lol. Good job guys.

While the majority of this piece I do like, the unique way of using the mountain theme, and mostly being the quality of the samples, I cant but cringe when i hear the 2 beats mixing incorrectly at 1:02. It almost makes my ears bleed. Either you make the entire remix at that off beat time signature, or you dont mix that house flava in their like that and think you can just get away with it. Well, i guess you did get away with it :)

I really do like this tune, but being as that it pains me, i can't listen to it any longer. If i could just re-sequence that hi-hat loop...

Diggin this tune. While I'm pretty "meh" about the actual melody part of the song (decent, not terribly interesting), I like how this song is giving the vibe, "Yeah, this is VERY electronic, and if you don't like it, you can ____" The coolest part for me, is at 1:28 where it gets all ambient and chill. It's a nice contrast. The ending is a bit whacko though. I was totally expecting something electronic, but I get some brass upwards roll thang that sounds totally out of this style. Pretty abrubt, too. But otherwise, great work. MMmm. Crunchy.

This song kept really upbeat the whole time. The entire thing is more or less precussion, which may not appeal to certain people. Of course, I'm not a major precussion fan and I enjoyed it. I couldn't recognize the area where this song came from, but that's partially due to only being able to play a quarter of the game several years ago. Such a shame it didn't make its deadline to the CD, otherwise it would have been a good addition.

"I'm not obsessive about the red "e" like some, but I capitalize "OverClocked ReMix" weird, so go figure"

Err, isn't it the red "a" that people obsess about? Then again, your botching that up only serves to exemplify the fact that you don't care about it. Good for you, Mr. Pretzel.

I agree. But not to get too far off the subject of the song being reviewed........

Oh I hate to be the bad guy and point out alot of flaws that other ppl miss when alot of ppl like a song.... oh well.

Well here goes: Starts out house style just kicks and a weak bass. Then let's see one of those no low frequencies synths comes in after four solid measures of this. Nothing really happens except a little more drums a hh here and there. The lead or what I think is the lead comes in at :45 seconds. A little bit late 30 seconds would have been just fine. The lead is also running short on frequencies.... not very rich or tasteful. There's nothing wrong with using this type of lead it's just in the wrong song and usually doesn't even work as a lead. Next comes some sort of flute synth. It unfortunately was also very weak. At 1:30 everything drops out except for some sort of low string pad and the flute. I actually like this part. It has a nice mood to it. A few insignificant instruments fade in. then a very very very weak unsupported snare tries to carry the whole transition back to the original theme. This just didn't work. Oh wait hold on. The buildup at 2:25..... things are starting to look up. Nevermind. It didn't really build up to anything. I'm sorry. Probably my favorite part of this song was it's rhythm at the beginning. The first synth was used very well and well anyways I give this song a 4 out of ten.

This sounds pretty cool. The percussion solos are a little boring, a bit more variety would be welcome. Looks like I'm in the minority for saying that though.

The orignal sounds of the song are strong but I feel don't achieve what they could have for the overall piece. The chopped wind sounds just before them are really cool though.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. I see people didn't think much of this track. While I will agree more could have been tweaked on it, I very much like it as it is. Nice and varied. Good solid beat and interesting if a little over-processed instruments. Some of it might however be due to my odd headphones where the reduced bass intesity etc. actually comes out auto-boosted.

Anyway I like it and I'm still listening to it. :)

Although I remember most of MQ's music vividly, I couldn't recall this track. The sample quality is very good, and the entire piece is well-arranged. While I don't find it interesting enough to listen to by itself, it works very well for background music, or music while my attention is partially diverted. For some reason, that makes it more enjoyable for me.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Diggin this tune. While I'm pretty "meh" about the actual melody part of the song (decent, not terribly interesting), I like how this song is giving the vibe, "Yeah, this is VERY electronic, and if you don't like it, you can ____" The coolest part for me, is at 1:28 where it gets all ambient and chill. It's a nice contrast. The ending is a bit whacko though. I was totally expecting something electronic, but I get some brass upwards roll thang that sounds totally out of this style. Pretty abrubt, too. But otherwise, great work. MMmm. Crunchy.

I agree, beautiful song. Final Fantasy is a popular game. But I only know this. Quack!

• 1 month later...

I like this song tons. The baseline breaks your neck and the melody has an ominous feel (makes me think I'm climbing a tall mountain).

Beatdrop and mp worked together on this one together... and it shows. While Beatdrop owns the Techno genre (i.e. Mega Man), mp drops it nasty over classic FF-tracks.

Techno + Classic = ...well I'm not realy sure. But it's ill. If you like this, check out their other mix-> HouseHornet

I like this song tons. The baseline breaks your neck and the melody has an ominous feel (makes me think I'm climbing a tall mountain).

Beatdrop and mp worked together on this one together... and it shows. While Beatdrop owns the Techno genre (i.e. Mega Man), mp drops it nasty over classic FF-tracks.

Techno + Classic = ...well I'm not realy sure. But it's ill. If you like this, check out their other mix-> HouseHornet

• 1 month later...

w000t! I just love beatdrop and mp for this one

That kick really gets you listening, wondering what'll happen next, cool bassline behind the kick too! *waiting, waiting* WHOA! Fucking bad-ass percussion! Highlight of the song!

This next part is hard to tap my foot too seeing how everythings on the off beat but once the main part comes in it all kicks ass again

I'm surprised this is the only mystic quest remix here, the game did have quite the cool music

Anyways thaank ye beatdrop, mp

• 9 months later...

Hoo boy, this is some real hard electronica, I almost blew off my chair. My first impression of this remix was the immense bass of the beginning beats, but then came the.....I don't know what to call it, but it sounded rusty or cheesy. It was first afterwards that the synth came back and played for real this time. I like the main melody of it, you will just have to listen to it two times to get into the dark and rough music style BD and mp is pulling here. Although I got annoyed of the scratchy noise the instruments gave off, I still couldn't help myself but bobbing my head back and forth. Seems like the beats fulfilled their duty.

Cool remix dudes. Always nice to see some piece of electronica arts around here. :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00902 - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest "Mystic Mountain (2LATE Mix)"