cheap performance updates for my comp.

1makes2

who knows how i can make my computer faster... my comp is about 3 years old and im running with AMD 64 Processor, PCI ati x1650 pro 200 sompin megs video card, 1 gb ram. have 2 more slots for ram just havent bought any. also the fan makes a lot of noise at times and its really annoying.

who knows how i can make my computer faster... my comp is about 3 years old and im running with AMD 64 Processor, PCI ati x1650 pro 200 sompin megs video card, 1 gb ram. have 2 more slots for ram just havent bought any. also the fan makes a lot of noise at times and its really annoying.

Well, first, I'm surprised this hasn't been moved. Second, I'd suggest either buying a new computer outright, or building a completely new system. I realize you want cheap performance upgrades, but if you're looking to run high end graphic games, you're going to need a lot more than a few cheap parts.

You are going to need to be more specific with what processor you have, as it determines what kind of RAM you can get, and overall if your current machine is worth upgrading in the first place.

Also, if you want to play anything more demanding than Half Life 2 that X1650 has got to go.

Also also, this needs to be moved to tech help.

I like my x1650 :( but he may have the 256 MB version. I have 512 MB

I can totally run Crysis at decent settings ! keep the gpu for a little longer.

He could theoretically keep it for a bit, but if he wants to play upcoming games at higher resolutions he needs to upgrade. I can almost guarantee that above 1024x768 a 256mb X1650 will choke on Crysis/World in Conflict/etc...

Anyway, the real bottleneck is his processor. If he has what I think he has (a single or dual core 939 Athlon) then World in Conflict will be either unplayable or slow.

I'm also running into this problem, as I currently have a 939 3200+ on an Asus A8N-Sli Deluxe running 2 512MB sticks of PC333 and an x800 XL. It runs current generation games, but that is with the settings turned way down, and even then the framerates aren't exactly stellar. What I had in mind for my cheap upgrade was:

-P35 board (specifically the Gigabyte DS3L for $100)

-Intel dual core e2160 (inexpensive overclocker--$80)

-2GB Ballistix (bought last year for $60)

As you can see from the parts list this machine is intended for overclocking to maximize the power/cost efficiency. Unfortunately overclocking it will probably require me to invest in a larger PSU than the 400W I currently have, but the system should run fine stock.

The other hitch at this point for me is the video card; my x800 XL will probably be the bottleneck for the new system, but I don't really want to replace it right now as I think the prices on the R600 series will drop in the summer when (hopefully) the R700 series is out. I will probably get myself an HD3850/3870 at that point, unless for some reason the 8 series takes a sudden drop in price to match the radeon cards when the 9 series gets released in a month or so.

In relation to your issue, you might want to do as I did and just start researching parts for building a new (inexpensive) system. Check out review sites to see what technologies are reliable, compatible, and most important in this case, inexpensive.

As you can see from the parts list this machine is intended for overclocking to maximize the power/cost efficiency. Unfortunately overclocking it will probably require me to invest in a larger PSU than the 400W I currently have, but the system should run fine stock.

Probably not actually, what brand is your current PSU?

The rest of it sounds good, ive heard of people getting the e2160 to 3.2ghz on the stock cooler, more with water or larger air.

It's a mad dog multimedia surepower PSU. I'm figuring that if I get a new video card and overclock the system, I may need the additional power considering a new video card will probably triple my current consumption by the GPU to ~150w and the processor at full bore can probably match that wattage, which doesn't leave much for the remaining components. Hopefully it will be enough for those peak conditions, and if not I'll just have to get a new PSU.

I can reliably guarantee that two 8800GT's in SLI will still choke on Crysis and World in Conflict.

WiC isn't THAT demanding graphics wise, I can play it at an average 30fps on High with a HD3850 and a X24000+ at 1440x900.

Crysis will kill pretty much anything, I thought that was universally understood.

It was programmed with future systems in mind. It's kind of ridiculous, really, considering it chokes up the best systems out there.

Then again, nowadays I can run Quake II at 150FPS.

I'll suggest RAM for an upgrade, since the jump from 1 GB to 2 GB is significant, to me at least.

Programming for the future severely reduces the amount of present sales you're going to get. But I guess they already knew that to begin with. That's they're problem, not everyone can be like Blizzard. (Starcraft on 16 mb video cards! :D)

If you're really looking to play future games, 2 gigs is definitely recommended. I have 1 gig, but I only play older games like HL2 and older. Everything for me runs smoothly and without a hitch. It's all good. But I'd shudder at the thought of running other games on my system.