Do games make you feel old sometimes?

RiftDoggy

I was listening to some Cave Story tracks last night, reminiscing, when I remembered my first portable game: Super Mario Land for the Game Boy.

Then I thought about what's out now.

Then I felt like an old $^&%^*#ing geezer. Seriously, I'm 18 years old, I haven't even hit my prime, but I'm just realizing that I've witnessed, like, four or five major revolutions in portable gaming over my lifetime. I mean, that doesn't compare to old men and women remembering WWII, but DAMN.

Am I the only one here who feels this way sometimes? Old, I mean.

A veteran of the console generations, hm? But yes. I'm 21, and just talking to my little brother about games makes me feel old. I mean, he doesn't even know Duke Nukem! The games I fondly remember growing up with are easily dismissed as "poor, old games" now. It's pretty funny, really.

Ain't it the truth. But, giving them the controller and watching them try to make it past the first level makes up for the oldness. I speak from experience.

Yeah, soccer makes me feel old. After ten minutes of running and physical performing I go all Murtaugh on everybody.

But yeah, bad jokes aside, I actually don't feel old even when my favorite old skool games are "old bad games" nowadays. I still enjoy them as much as ever and to me it seems like yesterday when I used to play them back in the day. I play new and old games just as much and don't really consider them that different, so I really don't feel old. Maybe I feel TRUE because I've witnessed this stuff from the very beginning and know where it all came from. OLDSKOOL Y'ALL. They just don't make games like they used to.

Everything makes me feel old :cry:

Aww. *Pats you on the head.*

But seriously, I don't feel bad about it, it just feels strange to think of myself as having lived through so much...I mean, in 50 years, S'Mario 64 won't just be old school, it'll be part of the golden oldies of gaming. And people might not even BOTHER with the old Sonic games...*cries a river.*

I remeber a time when games didn't have "normal mapping." A time when vector graphics were the latest and greatest. A time when Mario and Sonic would never been in the same game. A time when 16 colors was all you needed. A time when people would pass you on the street, greeting you with a smile instead of a gun or AIDS...

Memories...

A veteran of the console generations, hm? But yes. I'm 21, and just talking to my little brother about games makes me feel old. I mean, he doesn't even know Duke Nukem! The games I fondly remember growing up with are easily dismissed as "poor, old games" now. It's pretty funny, really.

i know what you mean i'm also 21. i was a guest at my mom's work one day. she works with kids. and they didn't even know what a SNES is.

actually it's the opposite for me... playing zelda makes me feel like i'm 8 again. but i guess that only works on games i have memories of when i was a kid

Exactly the way i feel. When i pick up the controller, all the memories flood back.

That, and it's great to know that when i start playing Double Dragon (NES), Ninja Gaiden (NES), Zelda 2 or any other hard game (compared to now), i know i'll be better at it then any of those newb kids. Like stated before, they don't even know what a SNES is, and this generation won't even know what a N64 is.

They should try getting 120 stars at SM64, or beat Zelda 2. They won't be able to. And we will. That's separating the men from the boys.

For me, it's quite the opposite. Playing the fun games I grew up with takes me back to a simpler time... a time when polygon counts were unknown, my biggest concern was a test to study for, and I made tapes filled with my favorite tunes from various games so I could listen to them whenever I wanted. They bring back the memories of playing them for the first time, finally figuring out that tough section, and taking turns with friends as we tried to beat whatever game had our attention at that time. They're like a small time capsule being opened just for a short time, letting me forget about the bills, projects and daily life trials that always seem to need attention at any given hour of the day.

Nostalgic? Perhaps. But it's hard not to smile a little when you hit the first dungeon in Phantasy Star and its familiar tune kicks in, or when you hear the Atari XE's version of the Mario Bros. theme start. Of course, those are the fun games. Pop in something like Slaughter Sport or Lord of the Sword, and it's entirely different.

Now that I think of it, anyone remember plugging in game systems to the RF switch instead of using the typical video ports? Now that is a really old way of doing things. The HDMI is so much more advanced and easier than using a few screws to mount a system to some crazy antenna/RF-switch configuration. I hate oldschool TV. No nostalgia for me. Not to mention the countless shocks I've gotten from the RF switch.

Old games make me feel like a lot more time has passed than I actually *feel* has passed. Especially Wii's damned VC.

Like when I got Streets of Rage a while back on VC. Then it dawns on me that I first played it about 15 or so years ago.

It doesn't make me feel old, I guess. It's just a feeling that, like, I've been around for so long, and seen so many new things come along. Like it's hard to fathom, that I've seen X many years of this stuff. I don't know how I could explain it any better =|

And RF for the lose. I remember what sucked most was that if the reception messed up, I was too young to know how to tune the TV to work with it again. That meant waiting for someone older, who knew what to do T_T. Nowadays 5 year olds know how to use every damn bit of entertainment-related technology >_>;;

I always feel like one of those old geezers who rant about how better things were in their day.

That's basically how I act about video games old and new. I run across some teens and younger who either have not played or belittle games from the NES era, and I get confused and irritated at them because of it. :P

Same applies to cartoons and old TV shows and the like too.

Nowadays 5 year olds know how to use every damn bit of entertainment-related technology >_>;;

So true. The first time i wanted to hook up the NES i was completely baffled. I did NOT understand what was supposed to happen. Kids these days are pretty much on the same level as me technology wise.

When i was their age, NOBODY had a computer.

When I pick Heihachi on Tekken, I feel old. For everything else, I just ignore my receding hairline and play like it's 1989.

Okay, seriously. We're getting old. It's happening. There are going to be 70+ year old people playing Super Mario Brothers. Our motor skills will deteriorate, and we'll be falling off cliffs more and more. We're already bickering at the guys who grew up on PlayStation 2. "Our games our better. Play Mega Man 2 noob". But hey, we'll be alright. It's just part of life.

I feel old, although I am 18. I get bored easily of the newer games because its the same concept, only with better graphics and sound. Same controls: move, jump, kill baddies, solve puzzles. Nothing new.

When something innovative comes along, I feel young again, like when I first played Sonic or my first fighting game. But then some big-wig company buys them out and the sequel sucks and the innovation dies.

I also feel like some games could have been longer, like God of War or Kingdom Hearts. Yes the action was repetitive and some puzzles you wish to never do again. But they were great games, and I was disappointed when it ended so suddenly. Some games should be shorter (Oblivion, Morrowind, WoW) because when theres so much to do, you feel overwhelmed and you give up because you think "I will never get all this done".

To sum it up, really, I wish kids these days weren't sucked in to buying cheap games with horrible story lines and even worse characters. The original Sonic, Mario, Spyro, and others were great characters. Nowadays, Sonic is some punk rocker, Spyro is out to save the rainforest with his forest friends, and my 6 year old cousin didn't even know about SMB64. That both saddens me and makes me feel like an old man.

I rarely think about my age now that I actually think about it... I think about my health, my work, my hobbies, my friends, my food etc... but when it comes to games I usually just think about gamer new technology/releases, and retro culture.

What makes me feel old is release dates: Earthbound will have been released in North America 13 years ago this June.

A human 13 year old is getting ready for high school.