Do games make you feel old sometimes?

RiftDoggy

Hmm, I do not feel old about playing older games, but young. I mostly play NES, SNES and Sega Genesis games via emulation and at times, I'm like a kid again, reflecting on games that I used to play during my childhood. I haven't had an experince where I play a game and think "Wow! I'm old!" Granted it, I'm 18 going on 19 years old, so yeah . . .

I can't say that the games make me feel old, but I definitly find it hard to believe how old (and still awesome) many old games and systems are. I mean, I was in elementary school when the N64 was released. It just doesn't seem like it's been 12 years.

When it hits me is usually in regards to RPGs. Especially listening to the music from the games. I can't listen to some of the tracks from games like Grandia II without missing the characters and story. It's like reminiscing about fond old friends you'll never see again.

I can't say much about games I played being so much better back then, either. It's just like music and movies, all (or at least most) of the crap usually gets buried as time goes on. I mean I remember loving stuff like the Jurassic Park and Incredible Crash Dummies games.

You know, the one thing that really makes me feel old (I'm 22) is when I load up CoD4 online, & realize I miss playing Perfect Dark with 2 of my cousins, split screen style. I mean, that was some fun "back in the day" stuff. Where you could just order a pizza & chill out. Though, games like Rock Band bring back that nostalgia.

I actually kinda miss that. The interaction. Sometmes I feel like that old geezer saying, "Back in my day we actually had some human interaction. None of this new fangled spider web hullabaloo." This is mostly when some punk kid is calling me gay because I totally out gunned him. Though, I take solace in the fact that I can say I'm old school. You know, the atari & amiga generation. The only reason why I loved garage sales, back in the day.

A veteran of the console generations, hm? But yes. I'm 21, and just talking to my little brother about games makes me feel old. I mean, he doesn't even know Duke Nukem! The games I fondly remember growing up with are easily dismissed as "poor, old games" now. It's pretty funny, really.

I think you need to tell him, "BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS!"

Hell yes I felt old just recently. I'm 23 and saw a 13 year old playing some crappy games that they're pumping out lately. Had to tell him about the days of the SNES and Genesis. The days of the NES. He had a vague familiarity with the N64, but nothing really, and was more accustomed to the Gamecube and Wii. Told him about Zelda, but he didn't really know anything about it except for Zelda64 and Twilight Princess. I was like, "KID! GO PLAY LINK TO THE PAST!" *kick* That kid really loved Zelda 64. It was weird, it was like I was back in 1997 at a middle school lunch table all over again. It was kinda weird.

There was another kid with him, and he was completely brainwashed by all those EA titles coming out. I didn't realize it, but kids now-a-days really are graphic whores. They think the Xbox360 is the one true system and that Electronic Arts is the best developer ever... oh, yeah, and he was playing Guitar hero 3 without a freaking guitar controller, and proclaiming ridiculous things like "It's more fun without the lame guitar." COME ON!! I really couldn't believe what tools some of these kids are. (And yes, I realize I'm ragging on kids that are half my age... but man, what a punk) So, yeah, this other kid would make fun of the other kid for playing old games like Zelda64, and I was like, "hey you little fat bastard, stfu." You know nothing. Go play *insert latest movie franchise, sub par game by EA here* *kicks*

*nods*

If I ever have kids Im' starting with some Atari stuff to get them used to it, graduate them to NES, move to Genesis and SNES, then to N64, Playstation and Dreamcast, and I'll keep 'em moving through the good games.

*another nod*

*nods*

If I ever have kids Im' starting with some Atari stuff to get them used to it, graduate them to NES, move to Genesis and SNES, then to N64, Playstation and Dreamcast, and I'll keep 'em moving through the good games.

*another nod*

This will most likely be my method as well.

I thought it felt good to Force my brother in law, who is 13 years my junior, to download original mario on the VC. It was great to see his reactions at only being able to run and jump, and occasionally shoot tiny little bouncy fireballs. And God Forbid you touch an enemy from any angle but the top! He loved the game once he got the feel for it, though, and keeps downloading anything I recommend. He even asked to borrow my old SNES, but, well, yeah. That's staying put.

I agree that thinking about older games makes me long for a time to which we can't really return, but ultimately I feel as though I'm a part of something bigger. I'm part of a culture with an entertaining and fascinating history, and that makes me feel happy rather than old.

No, what made Me feel old was when my 16 year old part-timer didn't know who Peter Gabriel is... How can you not know that?!

You think that's old' date=' when my family bought an NES, we had to buy one of those rabbit ear adapters for the RF switch which was fastened to the TV set via two screws. It's still hooked up that way in my family's basement.[/quote']

The UHF connectors. I remember those. We actually had several UHF-to-Coax converters in our house that I'd use for that purpose. The RF switch / coax cable isn't that old by comparison.

What's making me old is thinking that, just maybe 10 years from now, almost no one will still remember what UHF was. KF