Beatmania IIDX: Traces (Interlude)

SenPi

Yea ok... so I dont know where I'm going with this, but its completely different from the other remix I tried doing. (lol dont ask me why I keep doing this song... its beyond me. Maybe I just really like the source tune :P)

The other day I was messing around with my piano, and I was messing around with the traces source tune and I was like "Hmm this bass line sounds cool". So I threw some stuff together in Reason today and came out with this.

Its pretty minimal, but I like the groove. Let me know what you guys think, and also if you think I should expand on it and try to get it accepted.

DJ SymBiotiX - Traces (Interlude)

There's one thing you need to address. The piano melody contains a note that plays before the beat. That's a problem when it's just a solo piano melody and an off-beat bass. Not until the bass drum starts playing regularly is the rhythm of the track really established. Before that, it's a big mess of cluttered notes.

That's how it seems at first listen. I listened to it at work, and at the time, first listen, it was confusing. At home, second listen, I found myself expecting the pre-beat melody and off-beat bass, so it wasn't as much of a problem then.

That, I guess is my biggest problem with this remix. Adding a bass drum or a decaying pad, something on the beat would make it easier to listen to.

Towards the end, you fade to just piano. The trance instruments need a better ending than that. Also, the sudden re-appearance of the piano echo feels a bit weird, you should fade in to the echo more slowly. If the piano sample you're using only has a single articulation (or if you're just using one) just play it on both effected an non-effected tracks, and fade between them. If you can, automate the echo dry-wet mix, which should sound better.

I don't want to write a long arduous-to-read post, so I'll stop here. I'll comment on interpretation and the rest later.

Jeez, I've been slacking lately.

Ok, Like the piano intro and the melody it carries, but there's a synth at :47, and it just grates on my eardrums:whatevaa: especially around 1:06 and 1:35.

Really like the slowdown at 2:01 the melody is sweet, nice buildup after it, like the synth at 2:42, no grating there:)!!

I agree with the previous poster about the ending, but great concept. keep at it8-)