Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

itt people make "witty" comments instead of presenting an actual argument.

I play with items off occasionally too. I play final destination too. But I don't whine and complain and say smash with items is not competitive and it isn't any less "serious" than normal play. Thats just how the game goes. All items are avoidable, if someone picks up something you don't like just stay away until they drop it or you pick something up that you can throw at them.

I play with items off occasionally too. I play final destination too. But I don't whine and complain and say smash with items is not competitive and it isn't any less "serious" than normal play. Thats just how the game goes. All items are avoidable, if someone picks up something you don't like just stay away until they drop it or you pick something up that you can throw at them.

the items in brawl are MUCH more powerful than the ones in melee

after the amount that ive played its really easy to see that it is extremely possible for someone with very little skill to do very well with a couple good assist trophies a hammer and a cracker launcher, not to mention the incredibly retarded (thats right i am about to say this) smash balls

and thats even talking about how SO MANY of the stages can screw you over so easily

in other words

you are talking as if you know things about a game youve never played

ive played tons with people over wifi and the ones without items have be A TON more fun than the ones with

I figure i'll add my 2 cents to the item debate as well. Personally I prefer playing with items, but as far as tourneys are concerned I think that playing without items is probably the best way because sometimes completly and utterly unpradictable and uncounterable things happen.

For example; One time when I play playing melee wth my bro, I was sliding while doing my down smash with Luigi, when a bob-omb spawned in the middle of my move and killed me. There was absolutly nothing I could do about it, and quite frankly it pissed me off. the fact that it happened twice in the same match didn't help much either.

Of course I thought it was hilarious after the match had ended, but had something like that happened during a tourney, I probably would have killed someone.

So while items add a fun and enjoyable element to the game, crazy bob-omb freak accidents do happen and seeing as how tournaments are primarily a competition of skill, there has to be a controlled environment in order to keep aforementioned incidents from occuring.

I really hope they got rid of those "unpredictable and uncounterable" things, like exploding boxes and capsules appearing on you. I mean, they should at the very least have had an option to turn off explosive containers WITHOUT turning all items off. Is that what the yellow box is in this image? (top right corner)

various25_080130k-l.jpg

If you can turn those off (plus bomb-ombs, healing items, hammers, starman, and other more "unfair" items), then I think SOME items in tournament play could actually work. However I know absolutely nothing about tournament play, so... yeah. Items like Motion Sensor Bombs don't really favour the player who picks them up so much - a motion mines, banana peels, and paper fans only tourney sounds fun and pretty fair ^_^

Also on Atma's comment on how Brawl's items are more powerful than Melee's: Melee's items were pretty useless, I'm happy Brawl's can actually change the direction of the fight like in SSB64 =D The items in Melee mostly just caused spontaneous combustion...

But I'm really posting to ask about this:

zelda_080219e-l.jpg

Can anyone tell me what stage this is? Or is it Subspace Emissary?

I really hope they got rid of those "unpredictable and uncounterable" things, like exploding boxes and capsules appearing on you. I mean, they should at the very least have had an option to turn off explosive containers WITHOUT turning all items off. Is that what the yellow box is in this image? (top right corner)

various25_080130k-l.jpg

If you can turn those off (plus bomb-ombs, healing items, hammers, starman, and other more "unfair" items), then I think SOME items in tournament play could actually work. However I know absolutely nothing about tournament play, so... yeah. Items like Motion Sensor Bombs don't really favour the player who picks them up so much - a motion mines, banana peels, and paper fans only tourney sounds fun and pretty fair ^_^

Also on Atma's comment on how Brawl's items are more powerful than Melee's: Melee's items were pretty useless, I'm happy Brawl's can actually change the direction of the fight like in SSB64 =D The items in Melee mostly just caused spontaneous combustion...

But I'm really posting to ask about this:

zelda_080219e-l.jpg

Can anyone tell me what stage this is? Or is it Subspace Emissary?

Yes that box in the corner is an explosive one. You can't blow it up merely by throwing it. It will explode after it takes sufficient damage. Anything in range will either take a lot of damage or thrown out completely. As for the Zelda pic, yes that is Subspace Emissary.

Yes that box in the corner is an explosive one. You can't blow it up merely by throwing it. It will explode after it takes sufficient damage. Anything in range will either take a lot of damage or thrown out completely.

Does this mean that boxes and barrels and capsules no longer randomly explode??? =D

...Or am I just getting my hopes up?

If someone already asked this I apologize, but is the c-stick enabled in 1-player mode?

ima be a prick and a smart ass and say that c stick was always available in one player you gotta specify cause in melee it adjusted the camera

srsly though ya smashes are done with the c stick in one player mode

So if someone is down a stock and he is on the other side of the stage and he happens to get a really good item that spawns on his side of the stage and he comes back and wins you are telling me that requires more skill? Even though the item was just as likely to spawn on the side of the stage with the person who was winning, sealing his victory? Because to me that sounds like the match is decided with a coin flip, the opposite of skill.

175 BILLION people have already said the same damned thing

YOUR ARGUMENT IS NOT INTERESTING

175 BILLION people have already said the same damned thing

YOUR ARGUMENT IS NOT INTERESTING

175 billion people, eh? Well that argument IS interesting... I demand you produce the names of these 175 billion people! Or at least an explanation of where these people suddenly came from. Are you creating an army of mischievous clones... billions of clones who make uninteresting arguments about Smash Bros.??! If so, how did you make these clones, and on which continent are they hidden?

So if someone is down a stock and he is on the other side of the stage and he happens to get a really good item that spawns on his side of the stage and he comes back and wins you are telling me that requires more skill? Even though the item was just as likely to spawn on the side of the stage with the person who was winning, sealing his victory? Because to me that sounds like the match is decided with a coin flip, the opposite of skill.

If you are up a stock and then lose because of one item, you don't sound especially skillful to me... also I do agree with turning off things like the hammer, starman, invisibility, healing items, etcetera.

I love how often this argument is used - it really proves that the tournament players haven't played with items on in a long time. It's like they all assume that only one good item will ever fall in any match, and it can only fall on the side of one player, never in the middle or off the stage.

Protip: It is more skilled to fight with items on, because then you _have_ to be ready to adapt to any situation. Luck comes into it, of course, but luck comes into all games at some point - look at card games. It's all a mixture of luck and skill. No one suggests stacking the deck where both players can see it and saying it takes more skill to play that way.

Meh, Casuals and Tourney Players don't know anything. We EXTREMOS play with our feet, or butts, or we play the game in the middle of an interstate, or while bungie jumping. That's just how we are. 8)

damn right, i'm not a casual, nor a tournament player, but i can handle item. We'll see...