Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

Off topic from the whole items thing, but in Brawl are characters like ganondorf and wolf clones, or do they change their movesets?

From what I understand, Ganondorf is the same as the Captain again, but with different animations. Wolf is kinda a Luigi to Fox, similar but not completely the same.

hahaha oh man, has anybody noticed that Gannondorf has a sweet ass Sparta Kick? Me and some friends found this out and made a stage with a big hole in the middle and did some sparta reinactment :P.

Also, Donkey Kongs, side taunt has got to be the funniest thing I have ever seen.. Im not even kidding. Me and my friends did that taunt for like 5 minutes, and we couldnt stop laughing. ahh good times.

175 billion people, eh? Well that argument IS interesting... I demand you produce the names of these 175 billion people! Or at least an explanation of where these people suddenly came from. Are you creating an army of mischievous clones... billions of clones who make uninteresting arguments about Smash Bros.??! If so, how did you make these clones, and on which continent are they hidden?

ive been recruiting people from saturn and jupiter

From what I understand, Ganondorf is the same as the Captain again, but with different animations. Wolf is kinda a Luigi to Fox, similar but not completely the same.

They are not even similar to their "counterparts" in the slightest.

As for this whole thing about what takes more skill, just stop it already. There are tourneys that allow items and there are tourneys that don't. There are different sets of rules. The hardcore "no item" tournaments don't allow items, because the point of it is to see who has the best handle on their character(s) and who can outwit the rest. The casual "items on" tournaments have a different purpose and set of rules all together thus it takes a different kind of skill to play in this way.

Only difference I've seen between the two (and I can say this because I'm very familiar with what kind of skill level you can expect at both kinds of tournaments) is that most "no item" tournament goers have a much firmer grasp on character mechanics. In fact I've always noticed a really good "no item" tournament caliber player will probably win at an "items on" tournament.

While I can understand what those are saying about it takes more skill to play with items, it's just harder to believe when you say luck is involved. That's like trying to win a football game with a field goal kick and then crossing your fingers a giant brick wall doesn't just magically appear in front of the goal post.

If you're not familiar with both sides of this whole tournament thing, please stop assuming things. All I can see is people trying to grasp at whatever straws they can get and trying to justify that they are "good" at the game just because they beat the same circle of four friends. If you're so casual about the whole game I don't see what the big deal is about skill.

People. Just play the damn game however you want but don't cry when you can't adhere to a different set of rules and expectations.

Does anyone know what changes there will be in the US brawl from the japanese? Also, can the two play wifi?

As far as the tournament thing goes, I've only heard of one official melee tournament. I guess there's lots, eh? Has anyone ever won one?

BTW, off topic: How do you upload a custom avatar?

Does anyone know what changes there will be in the US brawl from the japanese? Also, can the two play wifi?

As far as the tournament thing goes, I've only heard of one official melee tournament. I guess there's lots, eh? Has anyone ever won one?

BTW, off topic: How do you upload a custom avatar?

I don't think there will be any changes from the Japanese to the US release of Brawl except for the language and name differences.

i.e.

Ice Climber => Ice Climbers

Zenigame => Squirtle

Fushigisou => Venusaur

Lizardon => Charizard

Koopa => Bowser

Robot => R.O.B. (Hopefully)

And yes, the US and Japanese should be able to Brawl with each other on wifi.

As for those official Melee tournaments are you talking about the Nintendo sponsored ones? Or the "no item, neutral stages" ones? If you're talking about the latter, I've played in several of those, all of which have state-ranked and/or national-ranked players. I never win these ones, but often times I'm in the top 1/3 or top 1/4, sometimes placing higher than some state ranked players. I'm not state ranked or anything because I don't play enough tournaments. Also I don't think I'm that good though. I'm too easy to read. :P

Edit: Sorry I don't know anything about custom avatars. Someone help the guy out.

[1]Does anyone know what changes there will be in the US brawl from the japanese? [2]Also, can the two play wifi?

[3]As far as the tournament thing goes, I've only heard of one official melee tournament. I guess there's lots, eh? Has anyone ever won one?

BTW, off topic: [4]How do you upload a custom avatar?

1. Not yet. Wait a few more days. Be patient. Though, if I had to guess, we probably won't get a "Masterpiece" demo of Fire Emblem 3 like Japan will, unless they specifically translate what little needs to be translated for the duration of the demo.

2. Yes, but chances are good that the match would be next to impossible to play due to lag. They are on the other side of the globe, after all.

3. Lots, yes. Most are regional. If you go to http://smashboards.com, most tournament organizers have an account there. I've personally seen about 20 from just being there for a year, but obviously there are more tournies than that. The "big one" in most people's eye is MLG, which last time had a grand prize of $10,000!

4. You don't :<

Does G&Ws up B jump umbrella inflict damage on people, like peach's? G&W was always my favorite because of the old G&W games, even though I only have the gallery games, lol.

I can't wait till march 9!

It's a parachute. The only damage you can inflict with G&W's Up + B is when he's going upwards. After he shoots upwards, he begins to float with the parachute out. He can cancel out of this and attack which most characters can't do after Up + Bs of this nature.

It's a parachute. The only damage you can inflict with G&W's Up + B is when he's going upwards. After he shoots upwards, he begins to float with the parachute out. He can cancel out of this and attack which most characters can't do after Up + Bs of this nature.

As a G+W main, this makes me happy. Is his dodge roll still terrible?

I love how often this argument is used - it really proves that the tournament players haven't played with items on in a long time. It's like they all assume that only one good item will ever fall in any match, and it can only fall on the side of one player, never in the middle or off the stage.

Protip: It is more skilled to fight with items on, because then you _have_ to be ready to adapt to any situation. Luck comes into it, of course, but luck comes into all games at some point - look at card games. It's all a mixture of luck and skill. No one suggests stacking the deck where both players can see it and saying it takes more skill to play that way.

protip: you suck at fighting games and you know nothing, you are trying to say chess would be more skillful if every once in a while a pawn would turn into a queen at random.

The whole point of the argument wasn't that it always happen, it was that it could happen and that would mean a loss for no reason other than luck. I fail to see how winning or losing due to luck makes a game more skillful.

edit: and my favorite thing in the world is when people who try to defend items say the turn off the "obviously broken items" like the hammer and the star or whatever. I GUESS THEY DON'T LIKE IT WHEN AN OPPONENT RANDOMLY GETS A BIG ADVANTAGE FOR NO REASON.

The problem isn't whether or not you made a good point -- the problem is that this topic has been covered in its entirety. Hell, I was needlessly repeating ideas when I posted about this six pages ago. For goodness' sakes, let's either move on or get the thread locked so we don't have to read about it anymore.

then refute my points there tommy toughguy

Good points or not, you need to realize something. Just take a step back and notice people are trying not to argue about it. They want the subject to be dropped and a conversation about the game itself and not how tournaments are going to be handled. Take a chill pill and relax. This argument has come up many a time in this thread and the old Brawl thread enough times to kill a plethora of kittens. Who wants to kill kittens? Not me :(

Anyway seeing as the Dojo is going deeper with the characters moves sets and physics, I would really like to see more about Wario and Bowser.

No kidding. Do we need an official "don't argue about skill required for using/not using items" rule for this thread? Or are we all mature enough to finally drop it? If anyone argues about items I'm going to start counting down from 5, and then keep going down until one sixteenth.... you do NOT want me to get to a sixteenth!

I would also like to see more about Wario and Bowser. And WHERE'S THE SAMUS SPECIAL MOVES UPDATE???

then refute my points there tommy toughguy

I have no reason to refute whatever points you're making since I couldn't really care less if someone plays with or without items?

You're the one being rude to other people in the thread.

That Yoshi video someone posted a page or two ago made me feel excited to learn to play Yoshi again, even if that was just against a stinky CP. I wish the frame rate could have been better, but it looked pretty fun.

Whenever I get around to owning a wii/the game though I'm not sure if I'm happy for the lack of voice chat or not. Sure there's the whole "ew yoshi is gay/retarded/sucks" factor. But there's also the fun of them getting very quiet when I beat them down with stock to spare. I probably couldn't do this anymore though seeing as I haven't consistently played the game against other people in about 4 years now, and then there'd of course be learning brawl. :|

Smack talk among friends (and possibly ocr people) is also rather fun, so I'll be missing out on that too.

I have no reason to refute whatever points you're making since I couldn't really care less if someone plays with or without items?

You're the one being rude to other people in the thread.

That Yoshi video someone posted a page or two ago made me feel excited to learn to play Yoshi again, even if that was just against a stinky CP. I wish the frame rate could have been better, but it looked pretty fun.

Whenever I get around to owning a wii/the game though I'm not sure if I'm happy for the lack of voice chat or not. Sure there's the whole "ew yoshi is gay/retarded/sucks" factor. But there's also the fun of them getting very quiet when I beat them down with stock to spare. I probably couldn't do this anymore though seeing as I haven't consistently played the game against other people in about 4 years now, and then there'd of course be learning brawl. :|

But smack talk among friends (and possibly ocr people) is rather fun, so I'll be missing out on that.

when me and gt play we use skype

its much better that way

and yoshi is pretty good now

Does the motion sensor still look like the 007 one, if not Sakurai is getting a falcon punch to the face. And how do those things work where Snake talks to Otacon and Mei Ling, does it just interrupt battle or is it before match? And one more thing... they shoulda put the breakdancing Kirby trick from Air Ride in Brawl.

I probably couldn't do this anymore though seeing as I haven't consistently played the game against other people in about 4 years now,

no need to worry it's like bicycle. I played last week with friends, and we didn't play melee in a long time. that was hellish as usuall (and even better than usual) ;-)