Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

Oh, HUGE question:

In wifi play, how do the controllers work? For example, if you play a random stranger match, and you play with only the remote, will it set you up with someone using a gamecube controller? 'Cause that would be so unfair, considering all the crazy melee players out there. I think that you should be able to search for a game USING a certain controller type, like classic against classic, etc.

Does anyone know what it really is? If it's just random, then I'll only play online with a gamecube controller(That way I'll have a slight chance of winning).

Protip: if you find that those of a similar skill level are constantly besting you while using other control options, stop using the Wiimote.

GC, CC or Nunchuck. More than 3 buttons is a good idea.

Well, yeah, I would'nt keep using it if I lost every time, I'm just wondering if that's the way it works or not. I mean, what about all those poor people who just got a wii, the game, and broke the nunchuke?:puppyeyes:

lol

no need to worry it's like bicycle. I played last week with friends, and we didn't play melee in a long time. that was hellish as usuall (and even better than usual) ;-)

And Douly was as weak as before :razz:

We've directly played in team battle VS captain falcon & ganondorf at lv 9. Be sure, you become again fastly addict !

They still have ridiculous timing.

But they're smarter with combos and things like that, too.

Also, some computer characters are smarter than others. The Wolf and Meta Knight computers are pretty good, but the Sonic CPU is dumb.

Is that more because Sonic's move set is more difficult to properly string together? There's a lot of charging involved with his set, so does that make a difference at all, or am I looking too deeply into it?

I'm positive they're trying to ask whether the computers are complete dunces like in Melee, not how hard it is to beat them.

For example in Melee the CPU's wouldn't recognize when, say, there's an opponent charging a smash right beside them, or there's a giant PK Flash heading their way, or a Kirby Air Ride star is about to crash down on them - a human in any of these conditions would either run the hell away or charge the attacker, do SOMETHING smart to avoid getting hit, but the CPUs don't know what's what and get hit every time - they simply CANNOT see it coming, whereas a human can CLEARLY see the attack coming seconds before it arrives. Are Brawl's CPUs smarter and more human in this respect?

cpug still seems to give me the most challenge

Does "cpug" mean CPU Gannondorf? Man, there's cryptic acronyms for EVERYTHING!!

And what the heck is a "combo"? :<

A "combo" is when a character hits you during the time where you're stunned from the previous attack.

For example, Ganondorf does a Side B, which is changed form melee. It's an explosive grab that plants the target on the ground. He then does a down tilt, a ground kick which hits the target again generally before he can recover. This isn't a true combo as a victim with lightning fast reflexes can avoid the Dtilt.

Here's another. Metaknight's target is at 0% damage. He grabs and down-throws. Immediately after the down throw, he does a full forward tilt. Unless the victim pushed away from Metaknight with the Control Stick (DI or Directional Influence), they will be hit by the F-tilt (at least the last hit of it) before they can jump, dodge, or attack out of the combo. This only works for opponents undamaged or barely damaged, otherwise the throw's knockback would send the target out of range of the F-tilt.

Heh, I could have guessed what a combo was, I just wanted to be the voice of the "casual" Smash Bros player. ....So all the Melee "combo videos" on youtube: those chains of attacks make it physically impossible for the other guy to escape? That's pretty insane... and the importance of learning combos in pro play actually makes a lot of to me sense now. I thought Melee enthusiasts didn't like SSB64 because it's too hard to escape from combos....

Combos, in my experience, are hard to pull off and annoying to be caught in. They're near impossible against skilled players because even a second's gap will give them an escape and counter-attack opportunity. I've been playing for a long time, but I just can't seem to get all that much better. I can only do like a 3 hit combo, max.