Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853748p1.html

Sakurai's final stand.

-He tried to get voice communication into the game, but Nintendo wouldn't allow it. They heavily restricted communication.

-No thought of using DLC or WiiConnect, as the Wii doesn't have a hard drive and can't burn disks.

-His decision to throw away leaderboards and rankings. Wants the game to be centered around small groups of friends.

-Wants a fourth iteration in the future, but no part of the DS.

And the Dojo continues to be interesting! Today's update shows that Bowser's grabbing "suicide" move (forward special) is more interesting than it looks - Bowser's opponent can "fight back" and change their horizontal movement in the air to a certain extent, depending on how high their damage meter is (and Bowser's damage too).

Also there's a totally uninformative bit about meteor smashing... I assume in Brawl your opponent goes down further when they have more damage?

Was it? Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking ^_^ It feels funny to be referring to Brawl stuff in past tense now.

Because in SSB64 a meteor smash was basically an instant kill no matter how much damage you had. Naturally I'd assume Brawl does it the Melee way, but the Dojo description made me a little unsure:

DONNNK!!

Oh yes, and:

"For the Ice Climbers, only Nana can do meteor smashes!"

I must correct myself: There's a slightly informative bit about meteor smashing...

Back to the CPUs, I don't know if it has been said before in this thread, but I'd like to point out something.

I think it was the same in Melee, but it's even worse in Brawl, and that's why I hate fighting 3 CPUs : when you move away from them to do things like charging your beam with Samus, they ALL will stop fighting each other and come to kick your ass... I created a stage and it was pretty obvious : I was above them, but a wall separated us. What did they do ? They tried to reach me and jumped in the wall, although the 3 of them were litterally touching each other... without attacking once.

Damn, it's just like a 3vs1 match with friendly fire on =/

And yeah, Link actually sucks in SSB64..

Not at all, if you play the way I did. Mad Bomber Link! In the original Smash, Link could lob his bombs across the entire screen. They took away his throwing arm in Melee. I was a Link player in '64 and was that annoying person who'd hang out far away from the tangle of other players and just rain ordinance down on their heads with pinpoint accuracy. I may not have won a high amount of matches, but I put the fear into my opponents! :mrgreen:

Cheep ass! I had a friend who did that. I wanted to kick his ass for always bombing us with Link. But because of him it made me a better player by forcing me to dodge and gaurd instead of going balls first into the fight without a cup.

My vote for best new analogy this year.

Once I get good again with DK, I need to find a partner who can rape as Diddy! It will be epic team match goodness!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853748p1.html

Sakurai's final stand.

-He tried to get voice communication into the game, but Nintendo wouldn't allow it. They heavily restricted communication.

-No thought of using DLC or WiiConnect, as the Wii doesn't have a hard drive and can't burn disks.

-His decision to throw away leaderboards and rankings. Wants the game to be centered around small groups of friends.

-Wants a fourth iteration in the future, but no part of the DS.

What???

1. I can believe that. Nintendo is really paranoid about communication, but they still allow text between friends, right?

2. The Wii does have a hard drive! How else could you download virtual console games?

3. I certainly hope this is not the case. They put global rankings in mario strikers, right? why not the same for brawl???

4. There could be some connectivity. Throw a couple bombs in, or something.

I am opposed to handheld Brawl. Anytime you port a console franchise to a handheld it always seems to lose something in translation. It would feel really dorky. Obviously it's not impossible, but then should they really do it just because they can? I'd prefer if they didn't milk Smash Bros. as badly as they have Link, Mario & Pikachu in their own respective franchises... I think the only thing stopping that is the fact that it's a game made up of pre-existing franchises ANYWAY (so in essense Smash Bros. is just a giant vat of MILK) but bear with me here.

Sakurai himself said all that junk, and seeing as how he's not even employed by Nintendo anymore I'm inclined to believe anything he says, within reason.

The Wii has FLASH MEMORY, not a hard drive. There's a difference. The capacity of the Wii isn't even one Gig in size, either. It doesn't even make sense that you'd be able to put something like a CHARACTER onto an SD card, either. Too many implications. I can't see them allowing you to play with a downloaded character online, either.

The rankings thing wasn't even Nintendo pressuring Sakurai like with the headset, it was his decision. Not like it matters, anyway. Online matches would never replace tournaments. Think about it: what do tournaments have? PRIZES. THERE YOU GO.

What???

1. I can believe that. Nintendo is really paranoid about communication, but they still allow text between friends, right?

2. The Wii does have a hard drive! How else could you download virtual console games?

3. I certainly hope this is not the case. They put global rankings in mario strikers, right? why not the same for brawl???

4. There could be some connectivity. Throw a couple bombs in, or something.

2. 512 MB internal flash memory is not a hard drive

3. http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi01.html

Your opponent will not know your name or any information about you, and neither of you can send short messages. There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play.

Edit: Beaten :(

Rats.

I guess I'll just have to buy a notebook and keep track myself then. lol.

The weird thing about the small 'memory' of the wii is that aside from virtual console games, I don't really use it anyways. Mind you, there ISN'T any other way to use it, but even if there was, like movies or music or some such, I probably wouldn't. Sure, I'd put some on just because I can, but I'd really rather put everything on my 500GB external hard drive where I can put it to use. i don't understand what's with all the magic/novelty of saving music on a game console.

Except to play with someone hopefully smarter than a computer.

Ah, well, Nintendo will probably never get online right.

Can't you make custom taunts for friends, though? my Nintendo power said you could.

yes you can

20 character limit

mine are very high minded