Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

So, has anyone managed to get boss trophies yet? I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm somehow supposed to drag a trophy stand all the way there without dropping it or something? That won't work with Rayquaza, since he's right at the start of the level.

As for the topic at hand, I used all 5 of my hammers. 1 on 100-man Brawl with everyone, one on 15-minute Melee, one on Collect All Stickers, one on 2,000 KOs (by accident, blerf), and one on... something else, I forget.

FINALLY GOT THE DANG GAMe!!!!!!!

It's so amazing oh my sweet lord but I assume you all know this so I'll talk about characters I like.

Olimar is crazy if you use him right and manage those pikmin well, but that is tough! Especially his arials are great. But it's hard to micromanage like that. I like him still and will enjoy playing as him but it ain't easy, son!

Lucas is good and plenty different from Ness, which makes me happy. Also, holy balls is his up smash ever powerful! It's almost unfair.

Rob is so much fun to play as for some reason that I can't put my finger on. He's slowish but also strongish? And heavy? I don't know why I like him so much but I dang do. It's like the reason I liked G&W in melee, but I'm actually good-ish with him?

Speaking of Game and Watch, I like what they changed about him. I'm still terrible with him, though, because he's so dang light and easy to knock around. I was however thoroughly satisfied by his introduction in Subspace. He's so adorable.

Okay, I'm done.

=P

I've had brawl since release night annd yet I share your feelings on the characters. Almost ALL of the characters are just so cool and well done. They all got great personality and use to them, I think, each one's game is all different. And Yeah, Subspace is a really fun way to get introduced to all the characters.

Did you see G & W's up-air attack? It actually blows people back upwards, how cool is that! G & W has a crazy game this time around, I mean, he was neat in melee, but he feels SOO much more solid and even MORE unique now.

Question that's been bugging me:

what's the difference between sonic's down-special and forward-special?

His down-S seems faster and stronger, but you can jump and charge the forward-S, and jump with it. At least, that's how it seems to me. What is the difference?

Right now, I can't decide if I'm better with Samus or G&W. I would also like R.O.B. and Sonic to join my mains.

Something I really like about this game is the way that EVERYONE has a character suited for them. Mine is G&W/Samus, my sister's is diddy and pikachu (She hated pikachu until now), and this one guy at school who is an intense Sony fanboy loves the game and is DEADLY with meta knight.

Thank you Nintendo, for possibly your best game of all time!!!

I feel almost the same way you do Jaybell, and I've had the game since midnight launch. The only thing I can't accept is Olimar. *Puts up brick wall to defend against Atma*. I know people say he's good. I know they say that only true Brawl masters can put him to good use. I just don't see it. Everytime I play with him, I'm miserable. Now Lucas, Ike, Toon Link, Ganondorf, and ROB? They feel right when I use them. I feel like I'm in control of the match. I'm the source of impending doom, and not the other way around. Maybe I just need to give it time and return again.

Sonic's a funny one. I like him, and I'm going to use him frequently. However, he just doesn't have the best moves. I'm not talking about his forward B and down B, as those do actually serve different purposes. I'm a little annoyed with him because he doesn't have many moves to get KOs with. I'm slowly learning that I need to get my enemies' % up just a tad higher than usual, then I can KO them. I'm not used to playing that kind of offense, but I have to admit that his speed makes it worthwhile.

But he's a piece of poo when it comes to SSE. I even have trouble getting thru brick blocks sometimes. XD

Question that's been bugging me:

what's the difference between sonic's down-special and forward-special?

His down-S seems faster and stronger, but you can jump and charge the forward-S, and jump with it. At least, that's how it seems to me. What is the difference?

Right now, I can't decide if I'm better with Samus or G&W. I would also like R.O.B. and Sonic to join my mains.

Something I really like about this game is the way that EVERYONE has a character suited for them. Mine is G&W/Samus, my sister's is diddy and pikachu (She hated pikachu until now), and this one guy at school who is an intense Sony fanboy loves the game and is DEADLY with meta knight.

Thank you Nintendo, for possibly your best game of all time!!!

Rargh, yes. 35(I haven't actually counted) fully fleshed out characters really makes things fun, there are just so many match-ups, so many neat things everybody is doing with their own guy. Oh, and Sonic is like, super-complex, or something. He's so unusual to go up against, with any character vs. sonic nothing seems normal, because he's so fast he plays almost completely differently. Sonic doesn't KO me like normal people(in fact I don't think sonic CAN KO like normal people), sonic always KOs me with some crazy flying recovery gimping attack or sends me up really high then chases with up-b and uairs me off the top at low %.

What is everyones "main" turning out to be, anyway?

I feel almost the same way you do Jaybell, and I've had the game since midnight launch. The only thing I can't accept is Olimar. *Puts up brick wall to defend against Atma*. I know people say he's good. I know they say that only true Brawl masters can put him to good use. I just don't see it. Everytime I play with him, I'm miserable. Now Lucas, Ike, Toon Link, Ganondorf, and ROB? They feel right when I use them. I feel like I'm in control of the match. I'm the source of impending doom, and not the other way around. Maybe I just need to give it time and return again.

Sonic's a funny one. I like him, and I'm going to use him frequently. However, he just doesn't have the best moves. I'm not talking about his forward B and down B, as those do actually serve different purposes. I'm a little annoyed with him because he doesn't have many moves to get KOs with. I'm slowly learning that I need to get my enemies' % up just a tad higher than usual, then I can KO them. I'm not used to playing that kind of offense, but I have to admit that his speed makes it worthwhile.

But he's a piece of poo when it comes to SSE. I even have trouble getting thru brick blocks sometimes. XD

Oddly, patience is a factor when you play as Sonic. Having no haymaker really sucks, though his Final Smash is outrageously awesome and makes up for it in part. Your best bets for KO's with Sonic without it are usually his aerials: his Down-Air-A and Back-Air-A tend to work best, combined with his Forward Smash on the ground. They don't hit as hard as a lot of other characters, but with a little patience and manuevering you can get your kills.

Though I disagree. I liked Sonic a lot in SSE. He's really useful for platforming areas in the game; like Mario, he handles many of those stages profoundly well thanks to him being straightforward. Fighting enemies he's only okay, but at least for the levels where you really have to platform, Sonic's a good one to have around.

EDIT: Eten brings up a good tactic; Spring Jumping up and using your Up-Air-A is a nasty way to finish someone high in the air. At the same time, your Up-Air-A makes for a good juggling move if you can continually do it.

Oddly, patience is a factor when you play as Sonic. Having no haymaker really sucks, though his Final Smash is outrageously awesome and makes up for it in part. Your best bets for KO's with Sonic without it are usually his aerials: his Down-Air-A and Back-Air-A tend to work best, combined with his Forward Smash on the ground. They don't hit as hard as a lot of other characters, but with a little patience and manuevering you can get your kills.

Though I disagree. I liked Sonic a lot in SSE. He's really useful for platforming areas in the game; like Mario, he handles many of those stages profoundly well thanks to him being straightforward. Fighting enemies he's only okay, but at least for the levels where you really have to platform, Sonic's a good one to have around.

EDIT: Eten brings up a good tactic; Spring Jumping up and using your Up-Air-A is a nasty way to finish someone high in the air. At the same time, your Up-Air-A makes for a good juggling move if you can continually do it.

you do realize that relying on an item to get your kos for you is retarded right

sonic is really bad

To be fair, Atma, I'm not, nor do I intend to be a high-rolling Smash player. So I intend to play with all items on pretty much all the time. And even if Sonic is considered "bad" by the higher-level Smash players, it won't stop me from playing as him because I really like how he works. But regardless, I don't rely on Smash Balls to get the job done for me. That's why I made mention of his attacks that have more launching power on their own. *Shrugs*

I'm one of those more casual Smash players. I play it because I think it's a lot of fun, not because I'm out to destroy my competition. I just try to pick up on things as I go to have a better grasp on the mechanics, but not to the point where I want to be competitive.

What I love about this game is that every character is usable. I'm maining R.O.B, but I actually like and can use to some degree of proficiency all the other characters, even Yoshi.

Oh, except for Donkey Kong. I'll always hate you the most <3

What I love about this game is that every character is usable. I'm maining R.O.B, but I actually like and can use to some degree of proficiency all the other characters, even Yoshi.

Oh, except for Donkey Kong. I'll always hate you the most <3

Yep! More often than not, I end up not being able to decide so I just hit random and hope for the best.

Argh, that is bullshit. How long does it take? Fifteen, maybe twenty minutes of dodging? Bleh. I doubt I'll ever get that Meta-Ridley trophy.

The drop rate is much higher if you play on harder difficulty settings. I've had 2 or 3 drop during one fight on the hardest setting. And it only works if they are low on HP, so dodging until it drops isn't the most effective strategy...

I really don't like what they did to Link. I loved him a lot in Melee, and even enjoyed using him in Smash 64 (despite being horrendously bad), but he's just not any fun to play as in Brawl.

-Too weak. His attacks don't have the knockback they need. He also feels too light to me.

-Hookshot is shorter (wtf?!), and because of the auto edge homing feature, it's useless for recovery. The only thing it can do better than the up-b is grabbing the ledge from above the stage, which isn't really too useful anyway. I guess it's alright as an attack, but it's nothing amazing.

-Gale boomerang isn't as useful as melee and 64 boomerangs

-No bomb tech recovery :(

Snake is the only character that really grabs my eye at this point. He's a lot of fun to play as, and I really love his moveset. I'm not a big fan of grenades, though.