Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

The only reason no grabbable ledges is a bad thing as far as I can see: those with tether recovery are absolutely screwed. However, this is a completely ridiculous and unreasonable complaint on Onett, because there's nowhere to fall, and so if you're wanting ledges to use for some form of quick dodging or whatever then you'll just have to deal because everyone's equally screwed. This is the same reason I think Skyworld is a problem, because when you destroy the platforms some characters (tether recoverers) are screwed while others would actually stand a better chance at recovery from, say, the middle of the long, bottom stretch.

The only reason I object to Port Town is you can get hit by cars even when you're up on the platforms. This is just stupid. Why have "safe" platforms if you can still get hit by cars passing directly beneath you? You basically have to stay in the air until all the cars are passed if you don't want to be hit, and not every character can do this. However, Big Blue is one of my favorite (I'm not going to call it one of the best, just one of my favorite) stages because it requires an entirely different tactical approach.

I also don't see how Hanenbow is a problem. I hate the stage, sure, but that's because it's a little non-conventional in graphic and spatial design for my tastes, not because it's at all unfair or random. Flat Zone 2 is absolutely horrendous, though. Too much close quarters with off-the-wall, goofy environmental factors that can kill or lead directly to a kill far too easily.

I enjoy playing competitively. I'm actually referring to the stages for competitive play. Wario ware maybe fun sometimes, but if I'm playing competitively I don't ever want to be playing it. Losing a real important match because of a random invincibility just sucks. But I strongly do not think the same goes for say, Norfair. Stage manipulation is just that, stage manipulation. A good player would be one who knows a stage well too, and is able to handle the hazards and even use them to their own advantage.

In the usual naming of things "neutral" stages(which are obvious, Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Lylat cruise for sure, Pokemon stadium I also being very likely) are neutral for their simplicity and consistency. Out of those bunch whichever one gets randomly selected, it really isn't likely to dramatically change the outcome. For stages like "no ledges" screwing a tether recovery guy(think right side of Frigate Orpheon at the start) is almost the exact definition of the second grouping- a counterpick.

I tell you what. If King Dedede ends up autokilling everybody on stages with-out ledges, then there is a problem. But I don't think that'll actually be happening. KD3 can't chain grab certain characters just on weight, and even a couple of those he can chain grab on weight have other escapes. Not to mention if there are no platforms or anything other stage elements which can help prevent getting caught in a chain grab or interrupt one when it happens.

Hi I'm Smax, I'm interested in participating in the Super Smash Bros. Brawl online tourny. I've already added myself to the ClanORC Database. I can also be contacted on AIM, my screen name is in my profile info. I look forward to playing with you guys.

Just finished them up a minute ago.

Stages banned are set and rules have been established.

Is it posted somewhere?

Because I'd like to se the whole list.

Also, if its not too much to ask, could you please post the list of participants?

Thx in advace.

Is it posted somewhere?

Below is Atma's stage-ban list. I don't agree with all of them (specifically Luigi's Mansion, Onett, and Brinstar Melee) but it's well thought out, and I understand the reasoning behind the decisions. In any case...here's the list!

Btw, I'd love to participate but I don't think I'm able to -- I can't play over WFC from my fraternity house for some reason. I can connect to get the stage of the day (which usually sucks) and play spectator mode, but I can't actually play online yet. Until I get that fixed, I don't want to be a no-show for a tourney.

-Luigi's Mansion

house stops momentum and makes it very difficult to fight

-Mushroomy Kingdom

moving stages are terrible

-Rumble Falls

moving plus the spike 1 hit kills

-Norfair

lava is terrible in the 3 ways it can hit you plus small platforms

-Spear Pillar

awful

-Port Town Aero Dive

cars kill at 30%

-WarioWare, Inc.

invincibility is randomly awarded

-New Pork City

huge and terrible

-Summit

cant grab ledge and fish is a fag

-Skyworld

really easy to get screwed over in

-75 M

huge and terrible

-Mario Bros

stage kills way too easily

-Hanenbow

incredibly horrible stage

-Temple (Melee)

way too big for 1v1

-Onett (Melee)

cars and no ledges

-Rainbow Cruise (Melee)

moving stage where you can get screwed

-Big Blue (Melee)

easy to get screwed over in

-Brinstar (Melee)

lava is terrible

EDIT: I forgot -- the fish _is_ a fag.

Below is Atma's stage-ban list. I don't agree with all of them (specifically Luigi's Mansion, Onett, and Brinstar Melee) but it's well thought out, and I understand the reasoning behind the decisions. In any case...here's the list!

Btw, I'd love to participate but I don't think I'm able to -- I can't play over WFC from my fraternity house for some reason. I can connect to get the stage of the day (which usually sucks) and play spectator mode, but I can't actually play online yet. Until I get that fixed, I don't want to be a no-show for a tourney.

EDIT: I forgot -- the fish _is_ a fag.

have you tried a friend code match yet

with everyone rarely works but fc matches almost always do

if you can connect to wfc which you can you should be able to play no problem

Is it posted somewhere?

Also, if its not too much to ask, could you please post the list of participants?

Thx in advace.

Arek updates the first page from time to time with current info, so check there. He's got a list of the rules, banned stages, and current competitors.

Also, concerning the current stage debate, considering that this is the first of probably many OCR tournaments, I wouldn't sweat some of the rules/stages. I think we should all just concentrate on keeping things simple for now and making this first one a success, and then tweak the formula from there. Both sides have valid arguments, I feel, so let's just do it this way for the first one, and change it up for the next one or something. *shrugs* Those are my two cents.

Arek updates the first page from time to time with current info, so check there. He's got a list of the rules, banned stages, and current competitors.

Also, concerning the current stage debate, considering that this is the first of probably many OCR tournaments, I wouldn't sweat some of the rules/stages. I think we should all just concentrate on keeping things simple for now and making this first one a success, and then tweak the formula from there. Both sides have valid arguments, I feel, so let's just do it this way for the first one, and change it up for the next one or something. *shrugs* Those are my two cents.

thank you

best post about the tourny debate

Oh of course I'm not trying to change the stages for the ocremix tournament. Heck if the tournament was something like "Big Blue only, Items set on high, all turned off except for gooey bombs, only DK, 4 person free for all" I'd still be interested. Or the inverse of that. =P I'm talking about what stages should be banned or not in general relevance to future brawl tournaments played everywhere. It'll be sad to see perfectly reasonable stages get a common ban because of not-so-solid reasons.

Why is The Bridge of Eldin banned?

Its a perfectly flat stage with super easy avoidable events and you can grab the ledges once the hole is made.

Also, as far as I know every character can make the jump from side to side and the bridge comes back to normal in no time.

Plus, the music is awesome.

Why ban it?

Why is The Bridge of Eldin banned?

Its a perfectly flat stage with super easy avoidable events and you can grab the ledges once the hole is made.

Also, as far as I know every character can make the jump from side to side and the bridge comes back to normal in no time.

Plus, the music is awesome.

Why ban it?

dedede chain grab autokill (EXTREMELY easy to pull off) plus extremely powerful bombs

dedede chain grab autokill (EXTREMELY easy to pull off) plus extremely powerful bombs

Well the bombs are easy to avoid, as long as you are away from the hole area.

But nvm that, because its not banned according to the list on the front page.

...right?

Just took a quick peek at this topic. So sad, so so sad.

Just like competitive Pokemon players, competitive Smash Bros players take all the fun out of a game thats SUPPOSED to be random when it comes to the stages. Seriously, your banning stages because of random things that happens within stages like cars being able to hit and whatnot? Or a stage not being STRIGHT enough?

Same thing for characters (though it seems the first page doesn't say if characters are banned or not, but some places I've seen have banned nearly all the characters. Why?

What next after you've banned everything that goes against a particular users way of playing so they don't get beaten by randomness?:

"You've got long nails, you can hit the buttons quicker, banned!"

"Every stage is banned, just make a stright line on the stage builder, because thats certainly considered FUN!"

"Ban all characters but Ike, he's got a sword you know!"

Relax guys. Enjoy the game how its meant to be. Fun, random. You can't be skilled in a game where the mechanics are based alot on being random. Movesets vary, characters are not balanced.

It's not trying to be Virtua Fighter, some of you please realise this and know that no matter what you ban, you'll still end up annoyed.

Give sheer luck a chance. Surely thats fair game.

Please consider the factor of this. If you are to compete in any sport/game you want people to rely on their skill and not luck. Hence why these stages/items are taken out of the tourny.

Either way STFU about casual/competitive players. We all are entitled to our own opinion but this one just gets so annoying to read everywhere for all parties. Brings out the nasty people.

[Edit] OH SH- sorry man, I posted before I saw your post there ^_^ I'll put my opinion in spoilertext =p

Just took a quick peek at this topic. So sad, so so sad.

The only thing that's sad is the needless arguing, which was at an all-time low - until your post, where it shot STRIGHT up!

And with that, can we stop with the "tournament players suck/casuals suck" discussions...for like good?

Yes, yes we can.

Give spelling a chance.

(Sorry kid, couldn't resist! I won't accuse you of not being funny though, because my post isn't exactly.... a post that is very funny)

My two cents (NOT A NASTY ARGUMENT, JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION!!) :

I've never played in a tournament before, and I usually play with most items, most stages, etc... so the idea of entering a tournament and testing my skill seems fun and exciting to me. Having fun playing Brawl is something that I can do every day (assuming I don't have buttloads of homework) - I don't want a tournament to be "just another" Brawl match, I want it to be a fun and an exciting test of my abilities, however mediocre they may be.