Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

Ok, in the many time that I have played the stage, nothing like that has ever happened to me. What the hell.:?:

I think Atma's talking that the low ceilings of the rooms make fighting really cramped and the support beams that hold up the house get in the way and mess up attacks. Generally speaking, projectiles get eaten by the beams and your blows get interfered with. Essentially, while the house is up, your launching momentum is limited in the house thanks to low, hard ceilings and the support beams getting in the way.

While we're at it, let's change football so that both teams play on the steep hillside of a volcano with one team always at the top and one team always at the bottom and never changing sides.

Yeah, and let's build a stadium at a really high altitude so the players have comparatively little oxygen, and when it gets really foggy or starts snowing the game has to continue- OH WAIT!!!

Smash Bros. analogies about sports are kind of silly (though admittedly I've used one in the past... a silly one at that). But I can agree there is more than one reason to ban Luigi's Mansion.

Yeah, no custom stages online is kind of silly. And apparently you can't even COPY the "stage of the day" from Nintendo, allowing you to keep it for later, or make it better? Maybe that's why all the daily stages I've seen so far looked like they took 1 minute to build...

Yeah, and let's build a stadium at a really high altitude so the players have comparatively little oxygen, and when it gets really foggy or starts snowing the game has to continue- OH WAIT!!!

Smash Bros. analogies about sports are kind of silly (though admittedly I've used one in the past... a silly one at that). But I can agree there is more than one reason to ban Luigi's Mansion.

Yeah, no custom stages online is kind of silly. And apparently you can't even COPY the "stage of the day" from Nintendo, allowing you to keep it for later, or make it better? Maybe that's why all the daily stages I've seen so far looked like they took 1 minute to build...

Yea they are silly but they still apply. The point of this kind of tournament is to determine who is the best Smasher in terms of handling their characters against another without any random elements to be worried about. Just one person against another. That's it. With the hyper competitive kind of people on this board, it is no surprise if we run into someone here who will get beat and say "Well you just won because of that Starman," or "Well if that bomb didn't show up while I was charging my smash attack, I would have won. Thus I am still better than you," or some crap along the same lines. People are way too prideful. By eliminating things that give any particular character an overwhelming advantage and standardize everything, it's much easier to gauge actual skill in character handling and there will be far less reasons for people to whine about losing. That is all.

A tournament must be held by somebody's rules and standards. If you think a tournament should be run with different rules, then hold one yourself. I'm sure other people will enter anyways.

I can agree with removing random elements for the same reasons, but "standardize" things based on what? Is something like Final Destination inherently more "standard" than Luigi's Mansion? No! A stage like Luigi's mansion is just another part of the game. Someone who's good at Brawl is someone who would win both at Final Destination AND Luigi's Mansion. Cutting out Luigi's Mansion for some silly reason like the one listed is simply an artificial restructuring of Brawl based on what YOU arbitrarily think is a test of skill and what isn't.

Those stages with more interesting course elements are still completely fair stages for competitive play. They just involve a larger factor of stage manipulation than simpler stages. Even the stages that have some minor random elements, as long as those things give warning and are avoidable, which is the majority of them, it does not create the same issues as the randomness of items do.