Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

I'm fighting in a Brawl tournament tonight at work.

I'm at the final bracket in the Singles tournament (didn't want/need no partner for Doubles). My fighter is Zelda. My opponent: Wolf.

One shall stand... One... shall fall...

And that fall guy will not get the $100 gift certificate to any store of his choice!

Wish me luck!

I'm fighting in a Brawl tournament tonight at work.

I'm at the final bracket in the Singles tournament (didn't want/need no partner for Doubles). My fighter is Zelda. My opponent: Wolf.

One shall stand... One... shall fall...

And that fall guy will not get the $100 gift certificate to any store of his choice!

Wish me luck!

A little expert advice.

Kick him in the face, repeatedly. :)

Hey Silent Mike,

Really nice matches :D

I had lotsa fun!

And sorry to leave like that, I really needed to go to the bathroom for a leak :P

And that how communication over Nintendo Wifi fails miserably with the lack of text messaging or something of that kind.

Fun games, Jam. Seems as though my Link really didn't like your Climbers on FD.

Seems as though your Link doesn't like me period. ;)

Anyway, I wrote this article a few days ago about the competitive nature of Brawl. It's obviously aimed at those that participated in professional Melee tournaments, but I think everyone can find something they either agree or disagree with in it.

http://smashbrawlrankings.com/index.php?topic=2051.0

Despite that I played at a tournament level in Melee and am a competitive person in general, I primarily play Smash Bros. for fun, and, while this is a matter of opinion, I have found Brawl to be more fun than Melee. Except with the Ice Climbers, who I can't play sans wavedashing.

Brawl is definitely more fun than Melee. I think only a conceited prick who thought too much of himself because he was better than all his friends would disagree with that. But there is simply too much about the gameplay that's designed to "even the odds" which ultimately make it unsuitable for competitions of raw skill.

Brawl is definitely more fun than Melee. I think only a conceited prick who thought too much of himself because he was better than all his friends would disagree with that. But there is simply too much about the gameplay that's designed to "even the odds" which ultimately make it unsuitable for competitions of raw skill.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the first part of that. Though I happen to very much agree that Brawl is more fun, some people may just like the "feel" of Melee more. *Shrugs*

And me, personally? I like the "evening the odds" stuff that Nintendo threw in there. Yeah, it's harder on tourney players who want to play without variables, but, personally? I think those variables are half of what makes the game fun. For me, it makes games closer, matches more exciting, and the overall experience more fufilling. And yes, I'm one of those Smash players that utterly loves chaos in their matches, so yes, I like stuff like Spear Pillar, Norfair, and a lot of the tourney-banned levels because of how crazy they can get. Of course, this is largely why I'm not a tourney player either. *Laughs*

Jam Stunna, you contradict yourself in the article. At one point you say, "To be sure the best player will win."

As in, the player who can best overcome even random events.

As in, the best player.

As in, skill.

And note this is not an attempt to start some stupid tournament vs. casual discussion, I'm just saying that you contradict your own argument.

I'd say it's much more accurate that everything from melee got balanced, and not for anyone - just to make it a better game.

Seriously, this game is ridiculously well balanced compared to 64 or melee.

naw son, try playing ganondorf i dare you, then come back to me and tell me how well balanced brawl is

brawl is gonna have just as rigid tiers as any other fighting game, it's no super turbo or guilty gear

Naw, it's a nice element to the game - now button mashing spazzes will be laughed at for both clumsiness in life, and in brawl.

Only not since tripping is random and has nothing to do with how much of a "spazz" you may or may not be.

Funny part is I almost always end up tripping when being at my least spastic, it's like "oh hey let me walk over-woops I tripped!"

naw son, try playing ganondorf i dare you, then come back to me and tell me how well balanced brawl is

brawl is gonna have just as rigid tiers as any other fighting game, it's no super turbo or guilty gear

Please, please go play GT's Ganon, and then tell me you feel the same way about him.

Also, Wintermute, we've been over this: I don't care how good a player you are, there is no amount of skill that can compensate for a bomb randomly spawning right in front of your smash. A better player just plays well, not guesses when the game's going to drop death and when it's not. Random elements, by definition, cannot be reliably compensated for. They throw off the competitive nature of the game entirely.

there will definitely be rigid teirs whether you guys like it or not

wolf olimar metaknight pit and marth are gonna be your characters that everyones going to start picking because they are undoubtedly the easiest to play as (toon link is also very good but takes a bit more skill to combo with)

also tripping is horrible, probably the worst addition to any smash bros game ever

there will definitely be rigid teirs whether you guys like it or not

wolf olimar metaknight pit and marth are gonna be your characters that everyones going to start picking because they are undoubtedly the easiest to play as (toon link is also very good but takes a bit more skill to combo with)

Not Game and Watch? Too many tournaments have ended in G&W dittos, seriously. At this point, Marth and G&W really stand out over everybody else. Also, Pit sucks despite being incredibly annoying to play against.

It's too bad combos really don't work anymore. I've seen a lot of pretend combo videos, but they're just not...

Worst combo video ever:

http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/HMXtVxexN3o.html

Jam Stunna, you contradict yourself in the article. At one point you say, "To be sure the best player will win."

As in, the player who can best overcome even random events.

As in, the best player.

As in, skill.

And note this is not an attempt to start some stupid tournament vs. casual discussion, I'm just saying that you contradict your own argument.

It's not a contradiction. The better player will win, but what happens with players of equal skill? That's where randomness really hurts.

Brawl is WAAAY more balanced than Melee was. It just is. But tiers are made by what's winning tournaments, so it's got more to do w/ players and winning metagame than actual character strength. If Luigi had a huge player base and everyone was developing his metagame and pros took him to tournaments and were winning every single time, he'd be top tier. That's it, that's all tiers are.

Still I gotta say, Brawl is way more balanced than melee ever was.