Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

I honestly have no clue where the image originated from either, but it's been around for a while.

As for which one am I? I guess I'm closest to #1. I mostly play by my instinct and reflexes. I don't really consciously think of anything like #1 does, though I play much smarter than #2, who can only seem to care about landing a Falcon Punch. Then again, I do get myself killed sometimes when I get greedy looking for a chance to use an awesome move...

Fast falling can only occur after you've reached the peak of your jump, just like in Melee. I'm pretty sure they've diminished the fall speed increase on most characters, since the game is floatier than Melee was overall.

Link automatically fast falls if you C-stick downward to get a d-air (after the peak of your jump). Not sure if this works for everyone, since I have settled on a small cast of characters, and everyone else I play either has d-airs that rocket them downward (ZSS) or stop them midair (Lucario).

Most of my SDs are from failed edge guard attempts with Zamus, though. Going under the stage is not a good idea with her, most of the time (but it's that some of the time that keeps me coming back!). :P

They are like Falcon Kick... You could never cancel that move before. Also, they do end after a certain amount of time, it's just that they travel so fast that most of them will land on the ground before they're done.

Sonic's travels the least amount of distance out of all of them and can be recovered the most easily. Everyone else can fall super slow with their rocket d-airs if they are hit upwards (you can use this to kill upward momentum). There are videos on Youtube of people floating in place with TL's d-air when he jumps from getting hit upward (jump + upward hit momentum = staying in place). A video example below...

Fast falling can only occur after you've reached the peak of your jump, just like in Melee. I'm pretty sure they've diminished the fall speed increase on most characters, since the game is floatier than Melee was overall.

I guess Yoshis is just slow enough now that I can't tell the difference between his normal fall speed and his fast falling one. I fast fell A LOT in melee, and I keep getting myself in trouble in brawl trying to fast fall, and not seeing the result I'm used to.

I guess that's not something I can adjust to till I own the game/system and can screw around in training mode alone.

If I'm not mistaken, the "rocket d-air" and the d-air after getting hit are different moves entirely. Call me out and tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sheik's even look entirely different.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I've felt the same way.

And that video is a strange one. Why can't I do that?

If I'm not mistaken, the "rocket d-air" and the d-air after getting hit are different moves entirely. Call me out and tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sheik's even look entirely different.

I honestly don't know about Sheik. Sonic, Toon Link and Zamus (in my experience) appear to have no change in their move aside from the fall speed and whether or not you can DI during the move (need to midair jump for this to happen).

I'm 99% certain that Zamus' d-air is the same regardless of the float glitch. Toon Link's and Sonic's I'm about 80% certain since I only play TL sometimes and I only play against a Sonic player (though he uses it a lot and I haven't been able to tell a difference).

I have no clue whether Sheik's move is different or not, but I would say it's entirely possible for her to have a different attack when slow falling or floating.

Jam, my connection is incredibly questionable. When I try playing people in California (even people that live less than 20 minutes away), I get horrendous lag that makes the game really twitchy. I just played against 4 different people from Texas last night, though, and the worst lag I had was considerably better than what I've had against local people (still bad, but not where the game stops ever few seconds). The best lag I had against two of them last night was about a 1/4-1/2 second input lag, which isn't too bad considering I live over 1000 miles away from them. So yeah, we can exchange FCs and see how the lag between us is.

If you change your c-stick to "Attack" instead of "Smash", it won't automatically fastfall if you d-air, no matter what point of your jump you happen to be in. It acts like a tilt instead of a smash.

It also has weird behavior like JUMPING if you push it in the right direction. I absolutely hate A-sticking.

It jumps if you press up repeatedly. And also, if done in the air a certain way, you n-air. I'm probably wrong, but I think it's when you move the stick diagonally in any direction. While useful in theory, it's easy to accidently n-air when you intended to do another attack, which is why I went back to smash-stick. Accidently fastfalling is not as bad as accidently n-airing in my opinion.

Jam, my connection is incredibly questionable. When I try playing people in California (even people that live less than 20 minutes away), I get horrendous lag that makes the game really twitchy. I just played against 4 different people from Texas last night, though, and the worst lag I had was considerably better than what I've had against local people (still bad, but not where the game stops ever few seconds). The best lag I had against two of them last night was about a 1/4-1/2 second input lag, which isn't too bad considering I live over 1000 miles away from them. So yeah, we can exchange FCs and see how the lag between us is.

Okay, I'll PM you later. It's funny, because I also get way more lag when I play people near me. I thought I was the only one.

Question on Wavebird controllers: I have 2 right now that are having the "stuck in one direction" problem. Is there a DIY fix for this, and if so, is it easy enough to make buying a tri-head screwdriver worth it? If not, does Nintendo still repair Wavebird controllers and is there a price estimate for the fix?

(Slight Derail but Snake's in Brawl so if I just picked up the MGS Essential Collection, would it hurt if I played in chronological order by starting with MGS3, or should I wait until I find a PSone memory card to start going through the trilogy from the first game?)

Question on Wavebird controllers: I have 2 right now that are having the "stuck in one direction" problem. Is there a DIY fix for this, and if so, is it easy enough to make buying a tri-head screwdriver worth it? If not, does Nintendo still repair Wavebird controllers and is there a price estimate for the fix?

(Slight Derail but Snake's in Brawl so if I just picked up the MGS Essential Collection, would it hurt if I played in chronological order by starting with MGS3, or should I wait until I find a PSone memory card to start going through the trilogy from the first game?)

I would wait.

Get Twin Snakes for the GCN. It's a remake of the first.

It also has weird behavior like JUMPING if you push it in the right direction. I absolutely hate A-sticking.

Not to mention that it does a neutral-A instead of turning around and doing an f-tilt when you press c-back. Really disappointing.

Looking at Zamus' frame data makes me want to cry. At this point, I can't see anyone having a worse roll than hers.

Her forward roll is 29 frames long and only has 6 invul frames. Her backward roll is 40 frames long and only has invul for 8 frames. There is something seriously wrong there when just about everyone else has like 17-19 frames of invul on their ~30 frame rolls (somewhere between 1/2 to 1/3 of their roll is invul frames, as opposed to her 1/5). Oh yeah, on top of that, her invul doesn't start till frame 11 (forward) and 10 (back), while everyone else seems to get roll invul on frame 2.

At least her sidestep isn't horrible. It's worse than other characters', but only by like 4 or 5 frames as opposed to 10+. It also starts invul on frame 7 while everyone else seems to have invul beginning on frame 1 or 2...

Well, there are a bunch of characters that don't have frame data yet, so I'm sure there's someone at least as bad off as her (Sheik will probably have identical roll frame data).

And the site is http://smash.scribblewiki.com/ that is recording frame data. It's being done by respected players on smashboards who have experience with this stuff, so their data is reliable.

Looking at Zamus' frame data makes me want to cry. At this point, I can't see anyone having a worse roll than hers.

Her forward roll is 29 frames long and only has 6 invul frames. Her backward roll is 40 frames long and only has invul for 8 frames. There is something seriously wrong there when just about everyone else has like 17-19 frames of invul on their ~30 frame rolls (somewhere between 1/2 to 1/3 of their roll is invul frames, as opposed to her 1/5). Oh yeah, on top of that, her invul doesn't start till frame 11 (forward) and 10 (back), while everyone else seems to get roll invul on frame 2.

At least her sidestep isn't horrible. It's worse than other characters', but only by like 4 or 5 frames as opposed to 10+. It also starts invul on frame 7 while everyone else seems to have invul beginning on frame 1 or 2...

Well, there are a bunch of characters that don't have frame data yet, so I'm sure there's someone at least as bad off as her (Sheik will probably have identical roll frame data).

And the site is http://smash.scribblewiki.com/ that is recording frame data. It's being done by respected players on smashboards who have experience with this stuff, so their data is reliable.

This makes me sad as well. But up B gimp kills are so funny.

So Sakurai said on the Dojo:

Also, there’s always a chance that I will need to update sometime in the future with some kind of announcement.

Could that mean that they are planning to patch the game?

If so, that would be really cool.

So Sakurai said on the Dojo:

Could that mean that they are planning to patch the game?

If so, that would be really cool.

Nintendo's never going to patch a Wii game ever. You sort of need a hard drive for that sort of thing, not half a gig of flash memory. :-/