Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

Zombieforce, I just want to make sure you're using the right term. Sidestep dodges are where you step to the side (into the background or foreground) and do not move in terms of X or Y coordinates of the stages (which essentially are 2d planes for character movement). Rolls reposition your character to a new set of coordinates (based on terrain).

From your post, I am almost positive you're talking about rolling because you were talking about getting behind your opponent. Rolling is a very situational tactic and I find that the better I get at this game, the less I roll. Rolls often have less invulnerability than sidestep dodges and are much easier to punish. The are useful, but in very specific situations.

Ultimately, the only thing sidestep dodging is useful for is avoiding being grabbed, which perfect shielding cannot defend you from.

Sidesteps dodging (also known as Spot Dodging) have a certain number of frames of vulnerability at the beginning and end of the dodge (usually between 0-10 frames on each end, it's specific to each character). Perfect Shielding (formerly known as Power Shielding) is where you shield the moment an attack strikes you (it's similar to Just Defends or Parries from SNK, 3S, or CvS2). If done properly, there are around 2 frames of animation before you can react. Sidestep dodges are usually around 30 frames in total, and often have about 10-15 frames of animation left before you can act after they throw out moves. On top of that, Perfect Shields block multiple hits and cannot be broken or poked out of. Shielding is safer than dodging because invulnerability only lasts a certain amount of time and certain characters (like G&W) have moves with long durations that dodges do not work against (because the invul on the dodge is shorter than the active hitbox on the attack).

Is it just me or are the Ice Climbers so much better? I can't say for certain why but I am digging them a whole lot more than I was in Melee.

What's better about them? They got their range and knockback nerfed, your side b isn't as viable as a save anymore, more things can go through a double ice barrier and their aerials seem to have less priority. They only noticeable improvement is the Belay/Nanapult.

Sorry I had to drop like that, Slient Mike, but my son fell off the bed right in the middle of the match. Saved me the trouble of getting beat!

EDIT- Yeah, everyone makes such a big deal about their chaingrab infinites, but the ICs are MUCH worse than their Melee version.

Hm. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and say that you can't see the image. Bigfoot reposted it for you like four posts ago.

I deleted it, the only reason anyone else can still see it is because it's still in their internet cache. I mostly deleted it as a matter of principle, sorry guys, but it's not hard to upload things onto your own space.