Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

The biggest issue I have with it is the speed. It's often too chaotic to really feel in control, and the difficulty level is definitely toned down a great deal compared to Melee. This of course is the result of Nintendo enforcing their "everyone must be able to play or else..." policy T__T;

How can the speed feel too chaotic? Brawl is slower than melee.

There's nothing wrong with "everyone must be able to play" I think that's always been the point of smash, given the simplicity of the controls from the start. That said, there's still apparently a clear divide between good players and not so good players, so get out and find some good players if you think it's "too easy".

Sad thing is I met someone that can't play smash. We gave her a control, and she started spazzing out at the buttons mashing them like crazy, but try as she might she couldn't figure out how to get the character to so much as move. I tried to help her and she yelled at me that she was pushing the buttons. Some other guy got her to calm the hell down and she finally was able to walk at least, but jeeze...She's gotta be one in 10 million.

that sounds like every girl i've ever tried to get to play the game

people who don't play video games at all just don't seem to understand the concept of double-jumping or different buttons doing different things or controllers in general

that sounds like every girl i've ever tried to get to play the game

people who don't play video games at all just don't seem to understand the concept of double-jumping or different buttons doing different things or controllers in general

Actually I've met plenty of girls with no prior video game experience in their life that have picked up and played the game just fine, without having trouble grasping how to play the game. This is the first girl I've come across that couldn't do anything.

Granted all these girls were fairly intelligent, and I'm pretty sure the one I witnessed falls under the category of "good at school, but a close minded pompous retard for all other purposes" after having her decide she's going to sit with me in the dining hall and talk to me. >.<

Also, I'm not sure how well I am at brawl, but when I get a wii and brawl later this month, I can show you that there are girls that can play the game to some extent, but I've been playing games since I was four so I understand that different buttons serve different functions at least. :P

man, this sucks

i used to consider lucas my main, but after winning a local tourney with dedede and realizing i don't think i've ever been beaten with him, i guess i'll have to stick with him.

sucks, though. lucas is one of my favorites to play and since i'm trying to play this junk competitively, to take out my second is a shot through the heart, especially after jigglypuff was nerfed so badly.

oh well, still have dedede and, um...

guess i'll have to work on my mario and wario game. i don't want the burden of micromanagement with diddy's nanners or olimar's pikmin :(

edit - and bigfoot, i think the issue is more that this is incredibly easy to do and is a free 80-100% each time it happens. on top of that, you can grab-grab-grab into a free smash attack too, with no way out of it. ice climbers could wobble and they have their footstool infinites now, but they're still very hard to do and only they can do it. i think 32 of the 39 characters can do it in brawl.

Whobbling is different. IC's chaingrab combos are the ONLY thing that even makes them competitive in Brawl. It's a tactic they use against everyone else.

The thing with Ness & Lucas is something everyone else can do to them. See the difference better? It's not a strength to be avaoided but a weakness that must be played around.

oh, mine does too--she uses pit and metaknight, and the first thing i said to her when using pit:

"d-pad is taunt, and your up one is your best. use it a lot. you will win every match."

i've got her on a healthy diet of uptaunt and sideb and she is currently the most annoying person in our small smash group. i've made a monster.

i actually like brawl more--a LOT more. i liked melee, but i've never been a fan of extremely fast-paced fighting games...i hated mvc2 too, for instance. i'm an extremely deliberate player and it's why i was so good at n64 smash. i ruined with ness. melee was a step back for me, but i still liked it, i just couldn't get into the pacing of it. used jiggs in that.

brawl is like a mix of the two, taking the slow and floaty engine from 64 that i liked so well while still keeping the relative ease of movement brought in with melee. brawl feels like a cultivation in everything i like about smash.

this isn't to say that melee didn't have any strategy to it, it certainly did, it was just a different kind--one that i wasn't so good at adapting to. i still beat most people in my immediate group of friends, but i could never play on a higher level like i can with brawl.

Wow reading that Smash thread about Ness and Lucas really got me down. Just because of a little issue with chain grabs people aren't gonna play as those two even tho they were their best? Thats really narrow minded and really just sad. I'm still gonna play as Lucas and frankly knowing this could help strengthen my skills. Besides my roommate doesn't know this yet haha@!

Also if someone constantly does the grab chain on me as Lucas then its shows me that their not a great player if they rely on that.

That's my 2 cents about it :\

Wow reading that Smash thread about Ness and Lucas really got me down. Just because of a little issue with chain grabs people aren't gonna play as those two even tho they were their best? Thats really narrow minded and really just sad. I'm still gonna play as Lucas and frankly knowing this could help strengthen my skills. Besides my roommate doesn't know this yet haha@!

I agree, then again I've mained Yoshi from way back in the 64 days. Yoshi doesn't seem as unplyable as other people make him out to be. Those of you who main them, keep playing as ness/lucas and see if the chain grabbing thing really is as horrible as it seems to be or if it can be overcome, instead of just forgetting them at the drop of a hat.

Edit: Also, for you Lucas/Nessers, someone tested the death grab thing, and it seems most of the match ups aren't THAT bad.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167122

Yes, I play the game. Yes, I post here and I can voice my opinion on it.

Brawl is a pretty different game when compared to Melee.

To me, it just seems contradictory/hypocritical that someone who frequently posts in the Brawl topic and has a sig based on not one, but two Brawl characters could hate said game. I just don't understand a mind separation like that.

My only explanation is that you like both Lucas and Zamus, and chose to use their best character models in your sig?

Of course, you're not the only one who's like this. Jam Stunna seems equally sanctimonious.

You're the one wigging out over the grab thing, sorry for posting a link that might be usefull, I'll just be silent next time. :\

I was?

To me, it just seems contradictory/hypocritical that someone who frequently posts in the Brawl topic and has a sig based on not one, but two Brawl characters could hate said game. I just don't understand a mind separation like that.

My only explanation is that you like both Lucas and Zamus, and chose to use their best character models in your sig?

Of course, you're not the only one who's like this. Jam Stunna seems equally sanctimonious.

When did I ever say I hated it?