Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

While I'm don't strictly adhere to the "tiers" theory, neither do I agree with the "every character is good if used by a good smash player" theory. If I had to pick one theory tho, the former at least seems more realistic and logical.

I'm more a fan of seeing it as a rock-paper-scissors game. With really tough scissors being able to crush the rock, and rock laughing as it smashes a whole through paper, or paper showing that it can cut too--especially in anime. And of course there being a few dozen other options. But characters should generally be viewed in how they match up against particular characters.

While I'm don't strictly adhere to the "tiers" theory, neither do I agree with the "every character is good if used by a good smash player" theory. If I had to pick one theory tho, the former at least seems more realistic and logical.

Wishy washy

That doesn't change the fact that your little comment of "oh you were using X character? That's your problem!" was poorly thought out, considering who you were responding to PLACED with said character.

If you're going to imply any character sucks really bad, at least do it to someone that actually did poorly.

That and, while I think there is a bit of merit to some characters being better than others, I think it's pretty idiotic to tell anyone that they lost because of their character choice.

Great job, Jam. PC Chris and Cort are pretty much 2 of the best in Brawl, so yeah. No shame in losing to them. :P

I also agree that this game is very much like rock, paper, scissors except with stages that can shift the balance (where paper can beat scissors, etc.).

Yoshi is not a horrible character in this game. They got rid of his DJC, but his boot and tail have tons of priority. Sure, he comes up short against some characters, but he does pretty well against a fair portion of the cast.

That doesn't change the fact that your little comment of "oh you were using X character? That's your problem!" was poorly thought out, considering who you were responding to PLACED with said character.

If you're going to imply any character sucks really bad, at least do it to someone that actually did poorly.

That and, while I think there is a bit of merit to some characters being better than others, I think it's pretty idiotic to tell anyone that they lost because of their character choice.

Yeah, sure, he placed well. That goes along with the latter theory I mentioned. BUT, he didn't win. That goes along with the former theory. That's what I'm trying to say.

Yeah, sure, he placed well. That goes along with the latter theory I mentioned. BUT, he didn't win. That goes along with the former theory. That's what I'm trying to say.

Actually that goes along with the initial theory because of who he played against. He did mention that they are the two of the best players out there and I daresay with most of the characters and not just the top tier ones.

Also, don't be so defensive. Sure, we're pointing out mistakes in your logic but no need to prove something. You'll probably end up in a better position that way.

BUT, he didn't win. That goes along with the former theory.

Yeah it's not like he didn't get first because maybe the other players were better or anything no of course it has to be because Yoshi is scientifically proven to be a worse character than other characters

Tiers are not a theory. They are rankings compiled from statistical data concerning tournament performance.

A character is high tier when many tournaments are won by players of that character. This could be for a variety of reasons, such as popularity, or the mainers of that character showing up at more tournaments. It is not a direct measurement of the effectiveness of a character, and they can vary by region, too. The Japanese tiers look a bit different from the American ones.

My opinion regarding tiers; Play the character you're best with, not the character everyone else is best with. Your best character may or may not be high tier. So what?

Yeah it's not like he didn't get first because maybe the other players were better or anything no of course it has to be because Yoshi is scientifically proven to be a worse character than other characters

Actually if you look at the tiers for Melee he was something like top of bottom tier, I believe "worse character" was mewtwo or pichu in the last list that was compiled.

There's nothing much that can be said for brawl though, since it's not been out long enough to make tiers.

Edit: here's the bottom tier for melee.

19. Yoshi

20. Zelda

21. Mr. Game and Watch

22. Ness

23. Bowser

24. Kirby

25. Pichu

26. Mewtwo

If the charactrs were divided evenly, than Yoshi would be close to middle tier right on the dot (link took it, at #13, but I think he was higher up on the Japanese tier), which makes a lot of sense since he (yoshi) was generally considered the most balanced character in the game.

Also, melee isn't Brawl, so it's pretty silly to compare the brawl yoshi to the melee one. If there was a "better" character that fit my play style than yoshi I might play him, but as it is, I think I"ll just stick with my cute little dinosaur.