Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

So, I know this isn't really the goal of anyone else here, but how many stickers do you have now? I'm up to 654, which means 49 more to go. It's getting ridiculous, trying to earn any more. I tend to get one new sticker for every 50 or so I collect.

I have a friend that got every sticker and every trophy. I'm not sure why anyone would put themselves through that. All I wanted was Wind Waker Ganon. I got him, and I'm all set.

So, I know this isn't really the goal of anyone else here, but how many stickers do you have now? I'm up to 654, which means 49 more to go. It's getting ridiculous, trying to earn any more. I tend to get one new sticker for every 50 or so I collect.

Haha, I have four stickers left and I get one new one for about every 600. Yes, I've actually kept fairly decent track of it. I played Subspace for four hours on Intense with every character I used having a ton of sticker drop points, and I got one new one.

Yeah, I gave up on it after that.

Is there any way we can convince game developers that this type of replay value is undesirable? We keep groaning on here, yet they keep doing the same thing in RPGs, collection-heavy platformers, and every other type of game every year! What are we gonna do? I'm sick of it! >_<

I kinda like the collection aspect of games, altough it loses value when:

A: you absolutely cannot advance in the game unless you collect certain things, but they are way hard to get (example: the DK arcade coin in Donkey Kong 64. I actually had to lend the game to someone else and got them to get the coin for me. Otherwise I would have never finished it, ever.).

B: it becomes a super drag to get that handfull of things you need (like in Brawl.).

C: when you can already finish a game, relatively easy, but there are still many things to collect, which ultimately doesn't add much, because there is nothing left to try your new found stuff on (example: Final Fantasy 12.).

I kinda like the collection aspect of games, altough it loses value when:

A: you absolutely cannot advance in the game unless you collect certain things, but they are way hard to get (example: the DK arcade coin in Donkey Kong 64. I actually had to lend the game to someone else and got them to get the coin for me. Otherwise I would have never finished it, ever.).

B: it becomes a super drag to get that handfull of things you need (like in Brawl.).

C: when you can already finish a game, relatively easy, but there are still many things to collect, which ultimately doesn't add much, because there is nothing left to try your new found stuff on (example: Final Fantasy 12.).

You had to have someone else play those arcade games for you? I'm not gonna say anything to that.

Anyway, the most upsetting thing about collecting, and what it's being ridiculed for here, is when it's random-based. You cannot control which stickers you collect, or rather, which trophies appear for you to get.

It's frustrating to have no choice but to hope to accomplish something in a video game, because that's literally what it boils down to.

Edit: In Melee, at least you could ante more coins in the slot machine to increase your chance of getting a new trophy.

You had to have someone else play those arcade games for you? I'm not gonna say anything to that.

Anyway, the most upsetting thing about collecting, and what it's being ridiculed for here, is when it's random-based. You cannot control which stickers you collect, or rather, which trophies appear for you to get.

It's frustrating to have no choice but to hope to accomplish something in a video game, because that's literally what it boils down to.

Edit: In Melee, at least you could ante more coins in the slot machine to increase your chance of getting a new trophy.

I think that nintendo made it random because they had come to full grips with the fact that none of it matters anyway

I have a great idea, should they attempt this again: make a shop. Where one can buy trophies and stickers. Voila, the collection's there, and no cheap masquerade in place to needlessly extend the game time. Best of all, you can buy the ones you want and leave the rest for when you realize you've maxed out your coinage and can buy like 500 of the buggers all at once. Everyone wins!

The random element for the stickers is a pain in the ass. Too many of them and simply for not enough gain. I didn't mind the collection element of the Trophies so much because those are much more worthwhile; they're shinier, and they have entries about their importance in Nintendo history, which can be kinda cool. Granted, they have no impact on gameplay and are merely extra cheese on a loaded, delicious pizza.

Did you guys know that the ICs fall down onto their backs if you don't auto-cancel their uair, bair, and even their neutral b?

Did you guys know that you literally cannot DI out of Sheik's ftilt, which means that you're almost guaranteed to eat an usmash afterwards (which is also the reason that the ICs chaingrab works)?

Did you guys know that Ike can't hit someone off the edge on the way down from his recovery move? Or that he can kill Marth at 53% from the edge on Battlefield with a fsmash (not charged)?

Aaaaargh I hate this game sometimes.