Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

Can you please stop talking like this? You're a constant reminder of all the people who said they were so good at this game and then went ahead and lost to Atma and Arek. I'm not saying Atma and Arek are bad. They're good. But I'll just eat them alive at this game.

No problem, man, no problem. Well, IRL, I know only one or two people who can beat me, and they are GOOOOOOD. From what I am hearing, you sound pretty good too. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that I am better at SSBB than the rest of you.

Anyone have any vids of team battles? I won't lie, I am better at one-on-one than team battles, though I do well at those. Second question: can anyone handle being double-teamed? If so, I WANNA' SEE IT.

Jam, can you or anyone else who knows, direct me in the way of some Peach strats? (like how to use, not how to play against). Like how do you do this chain-grab with her?

I'm tired of losing in this game despite the fact that I don't play it often. I see that peach isn't a horrible character (tier-wise) but I seem to notice her glaring flaws more than any possible advantages she may have in Brawl.

Also, teach me how to hax w/ meta-knight & snake plz.

@ The Derrit: Pokemon Trainer is one of the worst characters in the game. If you don't switch pokemon before 2 minutes passes, they become SIGNIFICANTLY weaker (they're slower, take more damage, get knocked back further, deal less damage & knockback). Also, Ivysaur is one of the easiest characters in the game to gimp, even easier than Lolimar in my opinion.

@ Zombie: we should play sometime. TLink is a good character, just make sure to save his kill moves (the usmash and uair in particular, since those are your best bets for kills).

@ Sulluz: I was playing teams matches today, and my partner kept dying before me. I took out two people not once, but twice. Granted, they weren't particularly skilled. I was ZSS in those matches.

@ Broken: Peach isn't bad, per se. All of her aerials auto-cancel, which is a huge bonus. She just only has two killing moves that aren't particularly fast and have bad range (especially her usmash). Also, she's one of the few characters who can't grab the edge backwards out of her upB.

According to the official chaingrab list over on SWF (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158858), her dthrow chaingrab works on almost half the cast of the game, which isn't insignificant. Also, Azen has used her in a few tournament matches. He hasn't won much with her, though, and always goes back to Lucario when he needs to win.

Also, here's the Peach subforum on SWF. Everything you need to know should be here: http://smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148

Oh yeah: to win with Snake, just mortar slide, jab alot, utilt and ftilt. To win with Metaknight, just mash buttons. He'll do the rest.

Peach's advantages: <<<

1. She can use her vegetables (Down + B) to hit someone as a way to force them to go into defense, which is when she can unleash her true wrath (trickery). Downfall: they can throw them back at you. Cover-up of downfall: sometimes, she'll pick up something different, like a beamsword or bob-omb.

2. She has super-responsive counterattacking ability.

3. The greatest hops (maybe), and irrefutably the best hangtime (when you're in the air and you've done your double-jump, hold the jump button to hover in the same y-coordinate (y > 0; above the ground, for your math-haters) across the board until button is released)

4. The Peach Bomber (Forward + B) is best after tricking or entrapping your opponent. It is not a good move to reiterate; best as a special smash.

5. The Umbrella (Up + B) does not smash, but it combos well. It will not work against Link's (Down + A), but it will juggle opponents who don't smash you from above.

6. The simple B move (Toad) makes the aggressor receive their own damage. Only good when timed right and not overused.

7. Peach has a lot of variations; her forward smashes change each time you do it, plus her vegetable attack can vary, as stated above.

8. It is best to do an air attack in the first jump. The second jump can be followed by an air attack (via A button), but that isn't wise against others with quick reflexes / aerial counterattacks. The reason why aerial attacks are awkward with the second jump is because Peach's double jump is a spin in the air, usually with some horizontal, slightly unstable movement; "floaty".

9. Peach's second jump is better for evasion. Since she is so "floaty", it makes others have a hard time keeping up with her. However, make sure her "floating" results in a landing that is above y=0; she may descend slowly, so make sure that your backup plan is a (counter for / evasion of) your opponent, such as a slap or a well-timed aerial dodge.

@ The Derrit: Pokemon Trainer is one of the worst characters in the game. If you don't switch pokemon before 2 minutes passes, they become SIGNIFICANTLY weaker (they're slower, take more damage, get knocked back further, deal less damage & knockback). Also, Ivysaur is one of the easiest characters in the game to gimp, even easier than Lolimar in my opinion.

I'm pretty positive the only effects of stamina are less damage and knockback. I don't disagree there's lots of not good stuff about PT, most definitely not anywhere near high tier, but even the stamina issue can work to the advantage in some situations (less knockback more squirtle fair/bair chains). But all in all guess that's right

Salluz, alot of what you wrote is true, but they're not really that great. Her turnips disappear if shielded, which really sucks, as opposed to other projectiles that just bounce off of shields. Plus, what do you mean by "super-responsive counterattack capabilities"? Her lack of range and power always put her in a defensive position; all she really has is well-spaced fairs and nairs, which aren't as brutal as they were in Melee.

Her float was arguably her biggest asset in Melee (fighting Peach on Dreamland? NO THANKS), but that advantage has been nerfed by the game engine itself. Since the game is so floaty, almost everyone can drift back to the stage now and recover as long as they're not hit into the kill zone, and several members of the cast have multiple jumps, glides or recoveries that are actually more useful than her float when it comes to making it back to the stage. Her offensive game is still totally dependent on the float, but it's defensive properties are average at best now.

Peach Bomber is better, true, but it has so much wind-up and landing lag that I would say only use it if you're 150% sure you'll hit with it, otherwise you'll get punished big time. Same with her fsmash: since it's random,you never know if you're actually going to kill with it since all three hit in different trajectories, at different ranges, with different damage and different knockback. If you're hoping for the frying pan and get the tennis racket, that can be extremely frustrating.

Toad has been buffed alot, as has her umbrella. I've seen people get KO'd by both, but I wouldn't use either very often because of the dangers of a whiff. Using upB offensively is usually a poor choice, when uair, nair, or even usmash or utilt would be much better in almost every situation (unless you're chasing them extremely high on the stage, which isn't worth the trouble; Peach plays best at head-level). And Toad has alot of wind-down lag, which can lead to some punishment if you mistime it's use.

Which leads me to her absolutely horrendous second jump. Man, what the hell were they thinking? It's been nerfed to shit, to where it's almost entirely useless. Like you said, you spin around when she does it, and the time that you're left vulnerable isn't nearly worth the incremental increase in height you achieve with it. You might as well not even jump-cancel it, because you're not going to fool anyone or get any real increase in her height. Even worse, they removed her second fall speed, which makes her a sitting duck after her upB.

But definitely, without question, her worst nerf was her dsmash. Oh God, why? That move was SO broken in Melee, so I could understand why they had to tweak it. But man, it can't kill at ANY percentage! EVER! Float-canceled dsmash was one of the scariest combos in Melee (especially to me, as an IC main), but now it's a total fucking joke. I think it's the most unforgivable nerf in the game, even more than Falcon's knee and Jiggs' Rest. At least those still kill you under the right circumstances.

It's my belief that Peach would be a low tier character if not for her chain grabs. I've played some really good Peach players, and I even mained her for a while when Brawl first came out. She doesn't have any glaring weaknesses, but she just lacks the firepower to get it done now. She's gone from being one of the best in Melee to being one of the worst. Only Falcon and Jiggs got screwed over more in the transition.

Okay I am pretty much done with this thread. If you want to play with me for kicks, feel free to PM me. I love dicking around and playing with new folks.

Otherwise, if you want to show that you're some hot shot at this game you'll have to beat Atma, Arek, and Jam before talking to me. So far nobody has gotten passed those three and the skill gap between those three and me is pretty significant despite their skill. They can attest to that.

I'll be pleased if anyone can beat them. Even moreso if you can beat me. Then I'll have a new friend to play with. <3

Jam play with me more. I gotta get you up to speed with the characters you use.

And Salluz, your Peach advice pretty much amounted to "Here's how to play Peach for the very first time somewhat poorly."

Okay I am pretty much done with this thread. If you want to play with me for kicks, feel free to PM me. I love dicking around and playing with new folks.

Otherwise, if you want to show that you're some hot shot at this game you'll have to beat Atma, Arek, and Jam before talking to me. So far nobody has gotten passed those three and the skill gap between those three and me is pretty significant despite their skill. They can attest to that.

I'll be pleased if anyone can beat them. Even moreso if you can beat me. Then I'll have a new friend to play with. <3

haha you're like a pretentious gym leader from a pokemon game.