Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

I still like playing once and a while, playing music from my iPod, playing maybe one match with every character, then shutting it off. Sometimes I go back to Subspace just for the hell of it, but it's definitely lost something. And I didn't even play Melee as much as some of you guys.

Who did you main in Melee?

I might be going to a local tournament on Friday. Nothing big, just a bunch of friends in a gaming group, but there are small prizes. So even though I know I'll get my ass handed to me (especially considering I don't own the game and don't play much AT ALL since I have little free time), I want to participate. Just for fun, ya know?

When I have played before, I've usually done so as Lucario, Marth, or Pokémon Trainer. I've also picked up Zero Suit Samus recently. I have problems with Marth because I keep trying to play him like I did in Melee (guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK TOO WELL), and I know PT kinda sucks (I do ok with Charizard though). Lucario has been my best, since I've played him the most, but my skill with ZSS has risen quickly in the short time I've played her.

So my question is this: any general tips for me? I'm going to try to spend some time working up some "skill" in the next few days so I don't make a complete fool of myself, but I don't know where I should focus my efforts.

Since you've said you don't have a lot of experience with Brawl, I would focus on an understanding of the basics of the new physics engine as opposed to any character specific things. Getting out of a Melee mindset will help you more than any advanced techs will IMO.

Sorry I can't do more specific advice -- I haven't played Brawl for a good month or so, and don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

I might be going to a local tournament on Friday. Nothing big, just a bunch of friends in a gaming group, but there are small prizes. So even though I know I'll get my ass handed to me (especially considering I don't own the game and don't play much AT ALL since I have little free time), I want to participate. Just for fun, ya know?

When I have played before, I've usually done so as Lucario, Marth, or Pokémon Trainer. I've also picked up Zero Suit Samus recently. I have problems with Marth because I keep trying to play him like I did in Melee (guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK TOO WELL), and I know PT kinda sucks (I do ok with Charizard though). Lucario has been my best, since I've played him the most, but my skill with ZSS has risen quickly in the short time I've played her.

So my question is this: any general tips for me? I'm going to try to spend some time working up some "skill" in the next few days so I don't make a complete fool of myself, but I don't know where I should focus my efforts.

Stick to Lucario. Of all the characters you mentioned, he offers you the best chance to win.

Read this thread, posts 1-20 (and focus on post #19)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=189767

Also, watch as many videos of Azen's Lucario as you can between now and Friday. Here's one I found:

Just copy what you see/read. Watching videos and reading threads on SWF are the best way to get better quickly, since you can copy what you see/read without really having to understand it. But if you want to get really good, you might need a copy of the game at some point (then again, you might not. It is Brawl after all). Basically, just always remain calm. Lucario is the only character in the history of Smash that rewards you for sucking. As long as you don't allow yourself to get gimped, your chances of winning actually increase as you take damage (to a certain extent, of course). Good luck!

ill let gt judge them

im just into one thing

playing you and stopping your arrogance

hopefully you wnt be so full of yourself once you get your face pounded in from true skill

though its really doubtful

Why are you so bent on the myth of me being "arrogant"? Is confidence and uniqueness mistaken as haughtiness around here? Is there something... wrong with self-esteem? Besides, the methods were nearly looped and predictable.

Gotta' upload more.

This is just a test; my better videos are more massive (in size) and skill-based.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh2uVHu7A-w

This is all I have for now... the others failed; probably took too long (they're about 8 minutes long, 350-400MB). Trust me, this is just a test.

I can't begin to describe everything that's wrong in this video.

This is how you play Link:

self esteem is one thing

full blown arrogance for ones abilities is another

let others speak of your own abilities. dont hold yourself up high. it will just bring you down when you get spanked hard

ill say peace treaty for now but cut the crap about you being so "good" and such please

Exactly this. Salluz. There's a gigantic difference between other people putting you up and you putting yourself up... Also show me a bit of your Melee skills if you have any. Your test video put me to sleep.

I miss Melee. I'm actually way better at Melee than I am at Brawl.

Edit: lol Jam. Is that PC Chris beasting as usual? I never got my Link to be that fast.

I AM NESS! LOL!

I do remember how I was saying that I was good and stuff, but I did that because I was ignorant of the rules, plus I was just trying to raise some competition. Arek, you call me arrogant, but I'm not arguing any more. I know who I am.

Exactly this. Salluz. There's a gigantic difference between other people putting you up and you putting yourself up... Also show me a bit of your Melee skills if you have any. Your test video put me to sleep.

I haven't been claiming to be good (recently), though before I broke this rule out of ignorance. Besides, I've been beaten a few times before. In fact, I'll show you my loss between my brother and I when it's done uploading (currently 68%).

Yes, it is true that others are supposed to applaud you. I am quite aware of this.

Arek, you cannot control me with insults. What you speak of does not apply to me as of now. Maybe a long time ago, but not now.

Edit: lol Jam. Is that PC Chris beasting as usual? I never got my Link to be that fast.

This is how you play Link:

I was Ness, not Link.

I can't begin to describe everything that's wrong in this video.

A lot:

1. Looped sequence: Ness jumps a lot, barely able to smash Link. Link throws wide-range attacks, then gets jump-kicked and thrown a lot.
  2. Cheap shots.
  3. Badly-timed meteor smashes.
  4. I got cornered, lol
  5. I accidentally did Ness' PK Cross instead of his other PK powers.
  6. Jammed-ass control stick (doesn't matter now that I bought a new GCN controller)
  7. Trying to use PK Thunder meteor-smash style off of the cliff. This was done to see the CPU's rate of response to predictable attacks.
  8. Link could've smacked my ass out of the stage when I was suffering on the right side of the stage's end.

Your ness was horribly bad too dude.

Seriously, you suck.

I am just going to say it. You seriously suck.

Not what my friends say, but hey, think as you may. Yeah, I do suck with Ness, but this was inexcusable, especially with the random baseballs smacks and PK crosses, lol.

I prefer Sheik. Damn, it's going to take all morning for me to download the fights from my school's server to my home PC!

Samus vid w/ me losing to my brother: 90% complete. The two with me winning against a human haven't been pulled from the college database.

Your friends are probably horrible too, but you go on and stay in that bubble of ignorance while others with true skill overshadow you with their accomplishments rather than their words.

The moment you get yourself a wii *which I think you are just stalling so you can talk big and not back yourself up*, I really wish to challenge you so that you may finally put up so I can shut you up.

In every thread you are so full of yourself, whether you see or not. Everyone else sees it and speaks of it, yet you are ignorant to it. Even Darkesword called you out on it.

I don't like posting seriously like this over something so stupid, but honestly, how you are the way you are with posts is puzzling. You are either an extremely good troll or a very ignorant human being.