Super Smash Bros Brawl

Arek the Absolute

I haven't played in a while.

I was looking at my Wii last night and I was getting the slight urge to play.

Last thing I played Nintendo related was Melee.

Which I was having a ball because I was actually able to knee motherfackles with Captain Falcon.

And ripping new ones with Ganondorf.

But Brawl I must. I can hear Snake calling out to me.

Whoa, thread necromancy.

So, I got Brawl+ pretty recently. It's a modification to the game that basically makes the physics more Melee-like. Faster falling and more hitstun, plus auto-L-canceling, allowing for actual combos, plus a bunch of other small changes and specific balancing to every character.

It's totally fucking awesome. Makes me realize how badly they fucked up Brawl.

Video game tester is a shitty job, guys.

Terrible pay.

Expected overtime, especially close to the game's release.

You're VERY replaceable. If you can't handle bad working conditions, you're fired because there are plenty of people who will.

You're not expected to PLAY the games so much as try everything that can be done to find bugs.

And above all, the games suck. You don't get to pick and choose what games you test, and by far the majority of what's getting tested are crap games.

No, I'm not a tester. But I know plenty of them.

Of course, most jobs are reptitive bullshit anyway.

I never homebrewed Brawl because tripping and losing and wavebouncing and all that shit don't really matter that much to me. It's a game I play with friends every once in a while.

I mean if you're making money off it being serious business more power to you. But eh.

LOL wow!

i remember this thread!

i went to my first tournament before this thread and whined when i got chaingrabbed by ice climbers

i kinda stopped going to tournaments for a while after that but then got back into it. i'm probably the best DDD player in my region now, and my region is good enough for that to actually mean something.

anyway yeah, i still play it!

and brawl+ is great fun too. i missed jigglypuff so much.

Video game tester is a shitty job, guys.

Terrible pay.

Expected overtime, especially close to the game's release.

You're VERY replaceable. If you can't handle bad working conditions, you're fired because there are plenty of people who will.

You're not expected to PLAY the games so much as try everything that can be done to find bugs.

And above all, the games suck. You don't get to pick and choose what games you test, and by far the majority of what's getting tested are crap games.

Sure, but you're comparing this to "real" jobs rather than minimum wage grunt work that you do to make some initial money and work your way up the dignity ladder.

In terms of that, I'd sure as hell rather be a tester than, say, working in a fast food joint and having to deal with obnoxious fat people and hot grease burns.

brawl+ is a good thing because random tripping is the worst gameplay mechanic I've ever fucking seen

OMG REELISTIK! Pfft.

I guess they didn't want players to rely on running as a crutch but no one trips that often. It didn't make the game any more interesting or enjoyable; it made it suck. Banana peelings blow enough ass whether you're walking or running so WTF? I'm a calm person but that shit gives me gamer's rage.

Causeless negative instances without any source = fail.

There was a time when I played Smash Bros straight for 6 years. Sadly, I stopped playing about a year ago since I couldn't get any internet on the wii (and therefore couldn't get Brawl to work online), so I just said to myself 'What's the point?' and walked away from it (I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can't just invite people to play it with me irl).

Brawl+ sounds epic, by the way.