OCR00907 - Final Fantasy VII "Acoustic Fireworks"

djpretzel

It's really hard to review music sometimes when DJP describes it so well already. This is a great song. Nice guitar work along with really nice supporting instruments. This mix does what it sets out to do very well. Beautiful. Kinda didn't like the somewhat sudden ending fade out. A real ending would be nice. Other than that, this mix is stellar.

The best part about this is probably the fantastic and very professional mixing on the guitar. The arrangement is nice too, although it's a bit repetitive.

I got my hopes up when djp mentioned that you played recorder in this mix, but it plays a rather small role. I only sort of think I even heard it at all. Oh well... :wink:

But anyway, very nice mix here.

A very enjoyable mix. My borther is a professional guitarist and I've had the chance to be able to learn how to properly pick apart guitar playing. The acoustic guitar was a nice choice, but I would have liked to experiment with what it would sound like on a classical. Mind you, the acoustic gives it a very distinctive feel that fits very nicely into this piece, but it would be fun to try it out.

As it was before mentioned, the recorder was a little hard to notice. It's not a major detriment to the song, but it the first couple times through, I was sitting waiting for it to come in.

I liked the mix on the guitar, it is very professional and quality, though I personally would have bumped it up just a hair more in the mix. It tends to be on the verge of being drowned out. Once again, the record would be nice to identify with a little more ease.

I enjoyed this piece and I hope that you make more. I like your sound and style a lot. I look forward to future pieces.

At first I thought this sounded really nice with the well-played acoustic part and the simple backing, but quickly lost interest. This seems to me like one of those songs that got posted simply because it sounded live/professional, whatever. Some notes seem to be out of tune, just enough to torture my ear for a split second, enough to sound like the player made a mistake. Maybe that was an artistic decision to bend the note, maybe it truly was a mistake. It just seems like some (not many) notes are out of tune, too many for a recorded performance.

That, and there really is no melodic or harmonic interpretation of the original ideas at hand. A few drum fills SOMEWHAT break the monotony, but it isn't enough to to break the vibe of a simple guitar melody reverbed to hell and placed over a cookie cutter band backing.

It's a pleasant song to listen to, just nothing special or interesting to really set it apart from the original in any way but sound quality.

It's always good to see a friend's work posted. That being said, I'll be reviewing this from the standpoint of a musician rather than a friend, even though I will be defending the song in this post.

Eric hasn't been known to write the most amazing arrangements ever (though I will credit his help with my Radical Dreamers arrangement from chrono cross), but he's a very skilled player and composes some very beautiful works.

A lot of you haven't had a chance to know him and his playing, but I can vouch that his guitar playing is extremely clean and precise unless he decides to make a mistake. He's a perfectionist and I hate that about him.

Now to pick apart the piece. Eric's guitar playing is amazing and will probably continue to be for a very long time. However, the reverb isn't. He filled the holes with reverb and it just got to be too much. The song was repetitive, but then again, the original was like.. 45 seconds long. Go figure. It also bothered me that there was apparent copying and pasting for some parts. As for the guitar misnotes (I didn't hear any) and pitch bends, I probably wouldn't have done it any other way. If you were to question melodic interpretation, that's it right there. The harmonics aren't that impressive, but then again, they're not suppose to be. He wasn't trying to make the song into an epic piece, or try to bring out any feeling that wasn't originally intended. Instead, he was trying to shape the song using acoustic instrumentation and has succeded at that. The drums were bland and tended to drag on, but the fills were nicely thought out and cleverly placed. The string work was beautiful and held true to the original intent, though it wouldn't hurt to see it changed up.

This seems to me like one of those songs that got posted simply because it sounded live/professional, whatever. Some notes seem to be out of tune, just enough to torture my ear for a split second, enough to sound like the player made a mistake.

Knowing Eric, having worked with him before, he probably detuned the guitar slightly to give a live feel to this song. That would also explain the wet sound and the drowned reverb (along side the fact that he doesn't have a studio quality mic to record with, which makes things difficult). I know the fret/pick noises were most definitely left in for the same reasons. If you honestly don't like the sound though, oh well. I enjoyed it and welcomed every bit of it.

Although I recommeded the song be posted, it wasn't posted because of the fact that it sounded live/professional, but rather, based on the fact that it was well done. Whenever anyone performs live, and does a good job, it's definitely worth applauding. However, I wouldn't hold it against them. Especially when others who spent 3 hours of their precious lives following their noses to download fruity loops, and mario paint get their submissions posted only because our good friend Protricity heard them and thought they were the greatest works ever.

much love,

Kai.

I agree with Kaijin. Desipte what you'd call nitpicks, its a solid (and very pretty piece). I like that the drums were kept simple, perfect for the arrangement. This is one of the best arrangements I've heard on OC in awhile- Eric set his mind to a goal and achieved it very nicely.

My only issues were with:

Very grainy software sounding reverb. Very rough and somewhat distracting. Its okay to be 'reverb heavy' if you're using quality processing, but it kinda hurts a piece if you're not.

Excess high frequency information. Probably a creative choice in EQing the guitar, so its understandable- but the mp3 encoder apparently had a difficult time with that one- crunchy artifacts everywhere.

Fade out :(

The first two have nothing to do with arranging, but are more technical 'nitpicks'. I say bravo, and I hope to hear more guitar from Eric.

Dale North

dale@oneupstudios.com

This is definitely something every guitarist can appreciate... However, as mentioned, there were some "bends" that made the notes sound out of tune. Especially at the "high notes", you can tell distinctively that it's not right. And it sort of gets old a little fast... Either that or that's just because the original mix was alot more tranquil.

But then, great work overall, especially for the guitarist. Does sound a hell lot like a live performance guitar, but would probably be suited more for some pub/lounge band.

3/5 :)

Sounds like a real guitar because it is!! :lol:

Also, when you mentioned the icky high notes, sometimes, when you play live, and you're on a roll, you tend to leave the recording as it is. I'm not saying he did that here, just saying that sometimes, when you play live, and you're on a roll, you tend to leave the recording as it is, because it's a pain to record over, especially if the solo you recorded was long. Anyone who's recorded a long solo live knows what I'm talking about; unless you're a virtuouso unlike me.

Yu- "Eric," I mean, (whew, sounds a little weird), may not submit a lot of mixes, which is why you have to go his site and get em! Especially check out his originals. http://www.gamemusic.ca

As for the arrangement? It's awesome, the mixing is great; the sound quality perfect, the atmosphere gives a much appreciated nostalgic feeling if you've played the game, or even if you haven't, heh. In the time it took you to read this post you could've downloaded this, so don't waste your time!! :x

-kLuTz

I'll admit I haven't been on the OCR scene as much lately, but someone told me to come check this song out, and let me tell ya......this is excellent work. Top notch all the way through. All the instruments were well done, the recordings were beautiful and rich, without any noise, all in key. Although, there was a bit too much bass on the track. I would've also preferred a actual ending over a fade out, but that's all taste. This one is a keeper, and I would like you to know that I enjoyed it very much. Keep up the great work! :D

Jared Hudson

Very nice guitar riffs. I can't play the guitar but I know several proffessional guitarists and I think I can speak withknowledge on this subject. Very clean playing. I felt it was very precise. Perhaps a bit unimaginatve but simplicity definetely has it's place in music, and playing guitar live is definetely more difficult to coordinate with synthetic instruments than a mere sample. Overall high quality concept and playing ability just needs to added to and remastered.

I'm not sure exactly what the significance of this piece was, but for one reason or another, I had several people ask me to listen to it and give an opinion, etc. I figured I might as well right a review then, in judge style, bwahahah.

Pros:

The guitar really produces a nice feel to this song. You really cant go wrong followin' the formulas.

Good deal on the percussion, although simple, it adds to the song.

Cons:

Major Rock EQing going on. My Spectrum Analyzer looks like an upside down arch. Lots of velocity in the high and low frequencies. I 'DEQued' it (reverse rock) a little later on and it sounds a lot better in my opinion.

Seperate lead and background guitar recordings going. This isnt nessisarily a 'bad' thing, but if one was to go for a 'live' or 'real' feel, it kind if kills it for me to hear the same note being played on 2 separate guitars at the same time, etc.

I dont appreciate songs that repeat too much, this song was a perfect example.

I didn't notice any new melody or angle towards the song, just the original played with real guitar and higher quality strings. Its always annoying to hear remixes that are note for note the same as the original, oh well.

Fade out ending, kinda lazy. At least try some kinda real ending. The video game is over.

Way to short. I would really like to see some more songs in the 4-6 minute range. Is it really that hard?

Overall, its a nice melody to have in the background. I love the original, along with all of FF7, but the SuperEQin, and simplistic nature keeps me from wanting to play it over the original: I enjoy the original more :( During the song I was waiting for the guitar to go off on its own little harmony, do something interesting with the song. Alas, it didnt happen.

Its good to see guitarists/instrumentalists submitting stuff more frequently. Its a nice break from the synthetic world. Keep up the good music!

-Pro

This song reminds me of something you'd hear at some 1960's school dance...Like, as in the last song of the evening, the one you grab your chick and slow dance to.

Of course I could be utterly wrong seeing as how I was born in the eighties and not the sixties. BUT it sounds like a nice slow dance song. Really pleasant. Has kept me sane for two days. Thats a record.

Good mix. Real pleasant-like. Must go now. Cows are looking for me.

-Doug

It's been a long time since I was compelled to DL another FFVII remix, but this one sounded very compelling (I LOVE the guitar!!), and I was also hoping it was the track from the Round Square date, my fav track in the game. Behold the glory!! I'm a big fan of bending and vibratto and crap, so the high bends didn't bother me at all... I too would have liked a more epic ending than the fadeout, but I'll take it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Really Cool. Brings true emotion to the track.

I recently went to EgM's site, and was blown away by the caliber of talent that these two have. I listened to the other tracks they have, such as Final Fantasy Adventure's "Unknown" theme, and what can I say? It breathed such new life into it that I am just stunned. Excellent work. To hear quality work like this brings back the good memories of the game.

In a word: Superb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I liked it, yeah. . . it wasn't my favorite, I will admit, but I still liked it. But the thing is, I personaly think that it would sound better with piano, but that's just me speaking. It's not that I don't like your guitar playing, your guitar is like. . . acoustic Motzart or Bach, ya know what I mean? Well, I'm not a big fan of Motzart or Bach or any of them, but do you get my drift? I kinda think that you should find a song with an obscurely fast tempo, if you've ever heard Third Day's "My Heart" song, that temo would be :D , okeydokey, a good song for listening in cars or on planes, or if you just want to hear a good kLuTz masterpiece. I hope I didn't burst your bubble or anything, it's just my thought. You don't have to, it's just a thought. . . Annnnyhoooooooo, I know you'll make the right choice, as long as God's on your side ;D

Always Loving,

Lune St. Claire at yer service!

P.S. Luvvvvvvvv yer 600 AD song, my favorite! Cheerio! :!::arrow:

I liked it, yeah. . . it wasn't my favorite, I will admit, but I still liked it. But the thing is, I personaly think that it would sound better with piano, but that's just me speaking. It's not that I don't like your guitar playing, your guitar is like. . . acoustic Motzart or Bach, ya know what I mean? Well, I'm not a big fan of Motzart or Bach or any of them, but do you get my drift? I kinda think that you should find a song with an obscurely fast tempo, if you've ever heard Third Day's "My Heart" song, that temo would be :D , okeydokey, a good song for listening in cars or on planes, or if you just want to hear a good masterpiece. I hope I didn't burst your bubble or anything, it's just my thought. You don't have to, it's just a thought. . . Annnnyhoooooooo, I know you'll make the right choice, as long as God's on your side ;D

Always Loving,

Lune St. Claire at yer service!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00907 - Final Fantasy VII "Acoustic Fireworks"