OCR00908 - Super Mario World "Da Phunky Forest"

djpretzel

I really love all the directions that this piece takes throughout its relatively short span . . . you never know what is going to happen next in this mix, unlike most mixes that fall into a predictable groove that doesn't stray too far from the original piece. This ambience kind of reminds me of Radiohead--very enjoyable stuff.

8O

Wow. I'm speechless. This song is totally unpredictable and freakishly bizarre. It sounds like a cross between an old German opera (with the Viking lady singing at the top of her lungs), a "ghost house/horror" tune, a bunch of old NES MIDI clips (which kind of sound like the first Zelda game in one of the castle levels), and a slow trance mix all at once...and I LIKE it! Very, very nice job.

Thanks a bunch, guys. You have no idea how happy I am right now...considering that this was put together for a contest in a short time span. Djpretzel did say "slapdash", which is true. I could've definitely made some transitions a lot better...but I felt like I just wanted to go crazy and do everything that came to mind with the tune. I just picked out random samples and started remixing. Certainly the most fun thing I've done...

And someone mentioned Radiohead - I love 'em! One of the keyboard riffs is similar to part of "Morning Bell"...at least a little anyway.

Thanks again, guys :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

edit: link no longer works, sorry

This is the original .it file, compressed (to 6.86 megs) because it's pretty big and I was really inefficient with the samples. I recommend that you use MODplug tracker (http://www.modplug.com) to open it instead of winamp, because with modplug you can view the actual notes and it plays .it files better anyway.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'd just like to say that this remix is great and funny and...confusing. BUT THAT'S A GOOD THING, MR. ADHESIVE. The Forest of Illusion is about to get more hard to crack with this remix! (Also, my favorite sound in this remix is that wondeful and odd screeching noise. Spectacular!" :-)

• 1 year later...

Very unique and slick take(s) on the theme, though that weird choir patch i could have done without; I guess it lends character to the song.

This is a pretty experimental mix; Some sections are spot on, and some really don't gel, IMO. The first rendition of the theme was the best, I thought. SOme of the others get a bit too out there to really strike me as much more than a novelty. Maybe i'm just thinking too conservatively. I didn't think the chiptunes and flute section worked at all. There wasn't any anchor to that section. Maybe with a solid beat and a strong bassline it'd be a different story.

Soundwise, I really liked the kick sample used; it fit perfectly with the busy patterns you used. The epiano was also nice.

I strongly recommend listening to this one, as there are some really cool ideas, even if a few of them go a bit too far.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00908 - Super Mario World "Da Phunky Forest"